KristnH
Master November 2013

We booked our honeymoon!! Any recommendations for Hawaii, Island of Kauai?

KristnH, on June 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 17
Saved Save

We finally pulled the trigger, and are going to the Island of Kauai, Hawaii for 8 nights! We booked flights and hotels (1 cheaper, and 1 a little more upscale), and are working on activities.

We are planning on zip lining, kayaking and attending a luau... and relaxing on the beach/sightseeing of course. We also have a few places we are told are a "must see" such as Queen's Bath and Poipu Beach, and we are already looking forward to Puka Dog and Shave Ice Smiley smile

Anybody have any recommendations of what to see/do?

17 Comments

• KristnH
    Master November 2013
    KristnH ·
    • Flag

Anyone? Bumping myself :p

• J&B
    Master September 2013
    J&B ·
    • Flag

I've never been to Kauai. I've been to Maui and Oahu. One thing we did that I loved, was a sunrise drive to the top of a volcano. Totally worth getting up at an insane hour.

• Hot chocolate
    VIP November 2013
    Hot chocolate ·
    • Flag

I too have never been to Kauai, but I have been to Oahu. I enjoyed the luaus just lounging on the beach. went to northshore, wakiki beach and loved the pearl harbor, dole platations and other things. You will LOOOVE Hawaii. Its awesome.

• Kelly
    Dedicated December 2013
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

If You Like To Hike, Hanakapiai Falls Is Really Pretty. It Is A 4 Mile Hike To Get There, But Well Worth It.

Atv Was Also Fun, Lots Of Movies Shot There So They Take You On A Tour.

Ziplinning Is A Must.

(Sorry For THe Caps, On My Phone)

• Over the Top♥
    Master June 2013
    Over the Top♥ ·
    • Flag

The Sleeping Giant hike is absolutely beautiful. Also, the Fern Grotto is amazing- I'd suggest the kayaking tour. We almost had our ceremony out there. Rum Fire at Sheraton Kauai is beautiful. Request a window seat- the view is unbelievable.

• KristnH
    Master November 2013
    KristnH ·
    • Flag

@Kelly - We do like to hike, and just did 18 miles in Zion last week, so I'm pretty sure we can handle 4 miles Smiley smile Zip lining is going to be the first activity we book!

@Lynzey - Sleeping Giant huh? I'll look into it. I've heard of the Fern Grotto, that's cool you almost had your ceremony there! We're planning to rent a kayak for a day, so maybe we can find our way there Smiley smile I'll keep RumFire in mind too!

We're hoping to snorkel a bit too, or at least I am :p Any places in particular we should rent gear? I'm not sure if the hotels will offer any.

I'd also like a nicer dinner out one night...

Thanks ladies!

• Over the Top♥
    Master June 2013
    Over the Top♥ ·
    • Flag

There's not many fancy restaurants in Kauai. Everything is very laid back. That's how we ended up at Rum Fire Smiley winking

• Kelly
    Dedicated December 2013
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

Wiamea Canyon Was Also Great.There Is ALittle Pizza Shop When Driving There, Had Amazing Calzones With Unique Fillings.Cant Remember The Name, It Was Like 2007 When We Were There.

The Beach House Restaurant Was Very Good.

• Julia Elzie
    November 2019
    Julia Elzie ·
    • Flag

Kauai is my other home and it is so amazing.... For kayaking, we always use Kayak Kauai up in Hanalei, it is really fun to kayak the Hanalei River as it has tropical flowers floating in it. There are some upscale restaurants in the Grand Hyatt Kauai and the St Regis Princeville, plus we love Keoki's Paradise and Hanalei Dolphin. Kauai is really laid-back and casual, but so romantic. The luau at Fern Grotto is typically the best. Check out Island Soap for beautiful tropical scented lotions and soaps. Hanapepe is the cutest little town, stop for coffee on your way up to Waimea Canyon, keep going up past the first pull-out to avoid cruise passenger tour buses. Don't hesitate to eat at food trucks, especially with long lines of locals and eat ice cream at Lapperts. Foodland has wonderful fresh fruit, flowers, snacks.

Aloha!

Julia Elzie

MEI-Travel

E-mail: ******@**********.***

• KristnH
    Master November 2013
    KristnH ·
    • Flag

Thanks @Kelly, I believe we're staying near Waimea Canyon, so that could be an easy trip!

Wow, thanks @juliae! I was told Smith's Garden Luau was really good too...

• Kari  Taggard
    November 2019
    Kari Taggard ·
    • Flag

Keoki's is a great place to eat and they have a wonderful bar with happy hour! Their hula pie is a must! We stayed at the Hyatt on Kaui and its absolutely beautiful!

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag

I'm so excited! I was there in January. So amazing!

You're renting a car, right? Splurge and get a jeep. On the road to the Canyon is Jojo's Shaved Ice. Best we had.

Kayaking was awesome. We went with a company that was more affordable. Jonah was our guide, and he was great. They have the first departure time of all of the companies, so you're the first to make it to the waterfall. It was amazing seeing it without other people.

I know it's pricey, but book a helicopter tour, we booked with Safari Helicopters and paid extra to be guaranteed the front seat, so worth it. I'm not kidding when I say I had tears in my eyes due to the beauty.

I'll see if I can find the kayak name. Ahh, I'm so jealous and should go back soon.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag

Wailua Kayak adventures... That's the name!

• Kari  Taggard
    November 2019
    Kari Taggard ·
    • Flag

OMG, totally forgot about JoJos!!!! I second the recommendation! There really is no shaved ice like that in Hawaii! Definitely a must for your trip!

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag

I could never forget about Jojo's. Piña colada shaved ice with macadamia nut ice cream. Oh, and you can walk to the black sand beach behind it. Perfection,

Also, I used yelp a lot when we were around for ideas. Got lots of great recs while there.

• KristnH
    Master November 2013
    KristnH ·
    • Flag

Haha @Chrissy, I'm so glad you're excited :p Yes we are renting a car, and have been debating about a Jeep. I will definitely make a note about Jojo's shave ice, I'm already excited about that part, and I so want to go to a black sand beach! Glad @Kari agrees about Jojo's!

My parents went a couple years ago and used Wailua Kayak too! We're planning on renting a kayak for the day and foregoing the tour...

I've got the Yelp app on my phone, so I'm sure that will come in handy.

Thanks girls!

• Stacy
    Expert August 2013
    Stacy ·
    • Flag

Hanakapiai Beach. I went there 11 years ago. You have to hike some to get there. It's the one place I remember the most from Kauai.

Comment on this discussion