Ashlee
Just Said Yes October 2019

Walking Down the Aisle

Ashlee, on January 29, 2019 at 9:14 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 12
Saved Save
Hello , I’m having a hard time figuring out who to walk down the aisle with. Or if I should go alone. My mother passed away 8 years ago and my father passed away 10 years ago. I am only child and come from a very small family. I’ve read that walking a lone has been more popular but wanted some input.

12 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

That's a very personal decision. If there's someone you're very close to like a grandparent, aunt, or uncle, you could ask them. If there's not someone who automatically comes to mind, I wouldn't force yourself to pick someone.

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

I'd suggest if you have a close family member, such as a grandparent or aunt/uncle, that you have a close bond with you could ask them. Otherwise, I see no problem with walking by yourself. Just pick whatever feels right in your heart.

• Jodi
    Dedicated June 2019
    Jodi ·
    • Flag
    It's a personal decision... Follow your heart! My two sons 30 and 26 will be walking me to my FH 💖
  • JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·
    • Flag

I walked alone.

I'm an only child. I do not have family in my life. I wanted that moment to be about me. I was entering the marriage of my own free will. I am my own person. I didn't need someone to guide me or support me down the aisle. It was amazing. One of my favorite pictures came from that moment.

• Ashley
    Just Said Yes March 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    I concur it is a very personal choice. For me, my dad passed away just over a year ago and though I could have my mom walk with me I personally have chosen to walk by myself.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Both my parents are here but I felt more comfortable walking with my hubby (and I don’t like the idea of “being given away” to someone). We were both nervous so it was sweet!

Other brides walked alone, or met their partner half-way down the aisle and walked the rest of the way together.
  • Marie
    Savvy September 2019
    Marie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Smiley heart This! If you feel like you want to and can walk alone, do it! Of the people I know that have done this, they say it's the best choice they made. So empowering.
  • Charlee
    Dedicated March 2019
    Charlee ·
    • Flag

This was a difficult decision for me too. My father passed away 22 years ago and there is bad water between my godfather and my mother, so it was a very touchy subject for weeks, that I didn't even bring up. I finally developed a backbone and said that I wanted my Godfather to walk me down the aisle, and it was a short quick conversation, but that's the plan. There were other options, my Mom, my dad's brother, walking alone, but I wanted my Uncle (godfather) to walk me.

I don't know if there's anyone who's been significant in your life, other than your parents, or family friends; I think that walking down the aisle by yourself is a wonderful idea and you're correct it is becoming the new trend.

• HayMrsO
    Master October 2018
    HayMrsO ·
    • Flag

I chose to walk by myself. It was perfect. I could go at my own pace and my full attention was on my husband, standing before me Smiley heart

• Deirdre
    Super March 2018
    Deirdre ·
    • Flag

As Pirate & 60s bride mentioned, another option is to walk with your partner if you don't want to walk alone. I had a friend who did this. Her and her H just entered the venue together. It was really cute.

• Ashlee
    Just Said Yes October 2019
    Ashlee ·
    • Flag

Thank you all for your input! i really appreciate it.

• Sarah
    Dedicated October 2020
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    As a photographer I can tell you I’ve seen plenty of brides walk down the aisle solo - so if that’s what you want to do, don’t think it would be weird! No one will judge you, they’ll just be looking at how stunning you are!

Comment on this discussion