Brittany
Master April 2019

Vow inspiration?

Brittany, on February 14, 2019 at 9:29 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 8
Saved Save

Where did you get inspiration to write your own vows, if you did?

I know I could look around online, but I obviously want them to be unique to us, and personal. I guess my question is, what sorts of things did you think about while writing them, or things you included in your vows?

I have started mine, and I like what I have so far. I just need things to say to bookend the actual "vows" part, and I want what I say to be more special than what I would write in a card to him for any other normal occasion.

I hope this made sense, it's sort of a mess, I'm sorry Smiley atonished

ETA: I obviously get that I need to write from my heart, and I have been. But I've hit a roadblock and I feel like nothing I say is "special" enough for that day? Does that make sense?

8 Comments

• Nisa
    Super March 2019
    Nisa ·
    • Flag

So in addition to looking at various templates online, my actual vows I'm trying to include more personal things. For me, this means some jokes to lighten the tension, in addition to more serious vows. The serious vows that we make are likely similar or maybe even identical from couple to couple, so I thought some light-hearted vows would be a good way to make it my own.

So for example, I'm "vowing to always read text messages in TV shows outloud because your eyes are too bad to read them" and "vowing to always fold your laundry to meet my high standards [insert joke about how I'll regret this vow later here]"

Also what's helping me is just writing like I'm having a conversation with my FH, rather than formal vows. Once I have all the feelings out and on paper I can go back and revise and make them more formal.

• Krystal
    Dedicated April 2019
    Krystal ·
    • Flag
    My FH and I are major geeks,so I actually looked around and found a bunch of different templates that I kind of deconstructed for my own. I know there are a few things that I've always wanted to say, so I'm adding that in. Basically I just think yeah heart, but really tell him how you feel. Vow the basics if you can't think of anything. "I vow that I will love you, care for you, and laugh when you trip on your own feet." Something like that. Be real. It's just what you want to promise him.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag

I feel like I could've written this post myself lol. We are getting married in June (2019) and I started writing my vows in July 2018 because I knew I was going to struggle hahaha, and seriously I have a folder in my google drive called "vows" and I'm literally on version 7 now because I keep feeling like what I wrote wasn't good enough! I told my FH I'm just going to make him a book of all my versions and give it to him on the wedding night hahaha.

Anyway, the way I got started though was looking at examples of people's vows online, pulling out sentences that I felt had meaning to us, and then writing "around" them, if that makes sense. And then once I had written enough around them, I took out the sentences that I didn't write myself. As for the things to bookend the vows, I was (and still am) struggling for what to focus on there, but I knew I was being too rambly and not focused enough to begin with so I've been trying to focus on one specific thing I love about him, which is his optimism and ability to see the best in everything and everyone. So I wrote a paragraph or so about that and about how he has helped me defy my natural tendency to be super cynical lol, and to always see the good in life and in people. And then I transitioned to saying that since he always sees the good in everyone, he inspires me want to be the version of myself that he sees, and then that transitioned to my first "vow" which is that I promise to always work towards being that person. Then I made all the promises I had written up, and then I ended it with "Most importantly, I promise to never ask you to be more than you are, to always see the good in you, and to always love you for being you" (which ties back to the beginning too).

This was just my train of thought doing mine... I hope this helped inspire something for you!

• Tiffany
    Dedicated April 2019
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    Along with online ... I found inspirations on tv shows like married at first sight . Love that show & wedding movies!
  • Brittany
    Master April 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the input ladies! I'm going to refer back to this when I hunker down and start writing again! It definitely helps!

• F
    Savvy April 2019
    FutureMrsSulton ·
    • Flag

I actually just thought about everything that has connected us together, the reasons why I fell in love, and how much he has inspired me as an individual. writing my own vows was so intimate Smiley heart

• Mrs.
    Super May 2019
    Mrs. ·
    • Flag

I looked at examples of personalized vows and watched a bunch of wedding videos to get some inspiration before starting my own draft of vows. I knew I wanted to stay away from a cheesy list of vows (ex: "I vow to let you play your video games in peace", "I vow to wait to watch our shows together") because I feel like they'd be way too cheesy coming from me. While some people can pull it off and make it sound cute and funny, it's not my style or personality!

I've kept my relationship with FH as private as I possibly could for the eight years we've been together. Our business was our business and not many people really know our story and all our ups and our downs. I'm using my vows as a chance to tell a bit about our story and relive some of the things we've been through together and the sacrifices he's made for me. It's really a time for me to thank him for everything he's endured with me and tell him what I love about him and us. Super proud of my vows (as I'm sure we all are of our own vow), and I hope I can make it through them without becoming a blubbering mess haha

• HayMrsO
    Master October 2018
    HayMrsO ·
    • Flag

You got some great advice here! I Googled them. I looked on Pinterest. I took bits and pieces from all over and created them to fit "us". I had them on a Google doc on my computer and I would change them all the time!

Good luck to you!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics