M
Savvy September 2019

Videographer

Marie, on August 31, 2018 at 10:22 AM Posted in Planning 0 7
Saved Save
To those who have booked a videographer for their wedding, can you walk me through what essentially happens from you starting to talk with them to getting the videos?

Like do they talk to you about what shots you want, how they’re going to do your wedding? How does the signing of the contract goes? Do they travel with you? Do they go in the church? ... never booked a videographer before so I’m really lost!! Please help me Smiley smile

Thank you all you wonderful ladies !!

7 Comments

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

Hi there Marie!! Though I haven't had much experience booking a videographer, I did find some articles that sound like they could be an helpful aid for you as you're going through this process.

Hiring a Videographer

The Right Wedding Videography Style For You

All the questions you asked here - especially the traveling and going into the church ones - would be great things to ask any videographers you might potentially hire. I bet it depends on their style and personal preference. You can find other questions you might want to ask in 10 Questions to Ask a Videographer.

Hope that helps!! Smiley smile

• M
    Savvy September 2019
    Marie ·
    • Flag
    Thank you!!
  • Official Mrs.K
    Devoted May 2019
    Official Mrs.K ·
    • Flag
    I just booked my videographer last week so while I can’t give any advice on the end part of the process I can tell you how I went about research/initial conversations. First and foremost I scoured their websites looking at the Highlight videos they posted. I was looking for the quality of the footage, if there were any weird transitions, and then how they structured the footage. Looking at a ton of videos got me to figure out what kind of style I preferred (whether it was more cinematic or had talking spliced in). When I interviewed the vendors over the phone I asked about their company and most importantly their filming style. Some indicated that they would be like flies on the wall to capture what is naturally unfolding and others said they would help direct moments to get specific footage. I had some recommend writing custom vows/personal letters to read for “sound bites” and then others that said to not worry about it unless it’s something we really wanted to do (otherwise it would look unnatural and forced). At the end of the day I decided I preferred a cinematic feel with a vendor that will record the moments as they happen; he won’t force anything. He was also recommended by my photographer and because they will be working so closely you probably want someone who has experience together.
  • M
    Savvy September 2019
    Marie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s awesome advice! I didn’t even go through that process because an ex coworker and friend’s husband does videography and I’ve always loved his films (all his videos make me cry) so I never even asked around. Actually I don’t even know how much they cost. He quoted me at 2,500 for up 10 hours of coverage and 5-8 min highlight vid and 3 DVD’s. Does that sound reasonable?
  • Official Mrs.K
    Devoted May 2019
    Official Mrs.K ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh yeah, I didn’t mention it in my last comment but the ability to make me cry was also a factor LOL. I’m sure the pricing varies by area. I’m in Southern CA and everything is so expensive here. I am paying $2200 for 7 hours (with 2 videographers). Not sure how many people will filming your even but at 10 hours that seems like a great price!!

• M
    Savvy September 2019
    Marie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hey! Yes that’s a Cali price for you Smiley smile
    I’m in Chicago so not too big of a difference. Good to know about having 2 videographers. I will have to ask him, because I will not be doing a first look and want one videographer on me and one on my groom’s reaction!! Smiley smile eeeek so excited for this part
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

I hired a company that sends an individual out to handle the job. The company has a website where you enter pertinent information such as date, time and location, what time you want the person to show up and what shots you wanted included. You can also select songs from their library of music for the video. I paid $1000 for 9 hours of coverage, 8 minute highlight video and 2 hours raw footage video. I got both of those on USB and DVDs and I got 3 of each. This is in Northern California. The contract and the information about my wedding was online on their website. I had to create a password protected account where I could make payments and update information if needed.

About a month before the wedding the person assigned to my wedding emailed me to confirm everything. I met him on the actual day. I wanted him there for the first look and I'm glad he was because he got great footage from that moment.

No, the videographer doesn't travel with you (unless you want him to). Yes, he goes inside the church to shoot the ceremony. My videographer had a little Q&A session with me and DH and some VIPs that he included in the video which I really liked.

I got my videos about 3 months after the wedding. Here's the highlights video.

Wedding Highlights

Comment on this discussion