Anne
Dedicated October 2017

Updated again! Stressing about the dress

Anne, on September 30, 2017 at 1:35 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 47
Saved Save

I found this top, and my mom made the skirt. Putting it all on today and taking some pics, I'm not feeling excited about it. She's making a couple tweaks, pulling in the waist, but I don't know. Have I just been looking at it too long?

The left two pictures are in daylight, the right is under incandescent.

47 Comments

• PHXBride
    Expert February 2018
    PHXBride ·
    • Flag

The dress flatters your shape... Personally not so sure about the color. Is this your wedding dress?

• Ohheyitscait
    Super September 2017
    Ohheyitscait ·
    • Flag

What do you not like about it?

• Alexa
    Dedicated August 2019
    Alexa ·
    • Flag

I like the top and I like the bottom but they kinda look like 2 different pieces. Is there some wy to tie them in together more?

• Kennyeh
    Super August 2018
    Kennyeh ·
    • Flag

I think it's cute! I love the back of the top. I think a possible updo can make the whole look come together more Smiley smile

• Anne
    Dedicated October 2017
    Anne ·
    • Flag

It is my wedding dress... The top is super sparkly, it's hard to tell in these pics. I guess the color of the skirt is bugging me, I wanted it to be closer to the image on the right. Not much can be done about that now...

• Ohheyitscait
    Super September 2017
    Ohheyitscait ·
    • Flag

Well, you can always order a skirt from BHLDN

• KarenO
    Master June 2018
    KarenO ·
    • Flag

I love the top, but it's really hard for me to tell the actual colors from the photos.

• S
    Dedicated May 2018
    SpringBride ·
    • Flag

Make another skirt in the same color as your top and it will come together beautifully

• Cindy
    Super October 2018
    Cindy ·
    • Flag

I absolutely love the top and it definitely looks bridal to me! I'm just not sure about the skirt sorry Smiley sad. Maybe you can look in David's bridal for a skirt. I know they have some and maybe a few other stores.

• Jaclyn
    Devoted September 2018
    Jaclyn ·
    • Flag

I love the top! its beautiful! I also am not sure about the skirt, its definitely not my style but it does look nice. maybe you can find a different skirt at another store if it doesn't hurt your mom?

• Stephanie
    Super May 2018
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

Maybe add some sparkle to the skirt that matches the top

• Summer987
    Super May 2018
    Summer987 ·
    • Flag

The top looks ivory but the skirt looks pink to me. So maybe that's the issue the colors a little off.

• Rachel
    Super May 2018
    Rachel ·
    • Flag

Try a belt to help marry the two pieces together. You can kind of tell they are separates, so it doesn't please the eye as much. The pieces individually are very lovely though, and your vision comes through in the incandescent light nicely

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

In the photos, the skirt looks pinkish/blush and the top looks more white with the sparkle, but that might just be the photo quality. If it's not what you were hoping for maybe you and your mom can take the top to David's Bridal and/or BHLDN, and try it with their skirts to see if you can find something you like better (even if it's just inspiration for something else your mom can make or a way she can alter what she's already done, if buying a new skirt isn't an option). Also, perhaps another layer of fabric in the skirt might help with the color match and tying the two pieces together better. You can take both pieces to a good fabric store and play with options (adding them on top of and/or between the two current layers) to see if you find something that makes it all flow together. In looking at ready made dresses, I've been fascinated by the ways designers are layering slightly different colors and textures of fabric. The dresses have much more depth than when all the fabric colors are identical. Maybe another layer of tulle on top that has a little sparkle in the fabric? Good luck!

• Alforev
    VIP August 2018
    Alforev ·
    • Flag

It's those colors together that really don't go. I feel like a different material should be used to make the skirt. The top is beautiful.

• Anne
    Dedicated October 2017
    Anne ·
    • Flag

The skirt is supposed to be blush... It's looking too bluish I think. Apparently it is also a different cut than what you typically see (photo attached)... She's talking about remaking it... I feel terrible because it's so much work but I also want to be happy with how I look (and so does my mom)... Wish we had more time!

• Anne
    Dedicated October 2017
    Anne ·
    • Flag

Well, it's official, my mom is starting over!! Called DB and several other specialty shops around here, no tulle skirts. My mom consulted a friend and apparently, the fabric was cut wrong (I know nothing about the details at all). So, we just went to get new materials and she's starting over. Not a lot of time left, and I don't feel confident ordering anything online at this point. Currently drinking prosecco and hoping for the best!

Thanks for your feedback! It was what I needed to fess up to my mom that I didn't love it.

• Susan
    VIP December 2017
    Susan ·
    • Flag

I know you said you don't feel comfortable ordering online now, but Azazie has some gorgeous tulle skirts in their bridesmaids section- one even has a small train.

• Anne
    Dedicated October 2017
    Anne ·
    • Flag

Susan... those are cute and affordable! However, the estimated production time is 4-5 weeks... wedding in 3 weeks!!!

• Natalie
    VIP June 2017
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

Yeah that skirt colour isn’t blush. Good idea to start over with the skirt bit.

Comment on this discussion