Laura
VIP April 2014

UP themed wedding: cute, tacky, done to death?

Laura, on September 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM Posted in Planning 0 13
Saved Save

Up to this point, we haven't really had a huge theme. Our ceremony is on the beach so I did want beach touches but not beach themed. Now, we are thinking of doing something more and are leaning towards an Up themed wedding. Again, I'm not huge on overly done themes so it would just be touches, such as a mailbox cardbox, adventure book guest book, and two mini armchairs for a cake topper. I'm not quite sure how to incorporate this with other ideas I would like, such as a beach ball throw as our processional and superhero shirts under the GM suits. I'm not even sure if this is a nontacky, non overly done idea. What do you all think?

13 Comments

• kt2of3
    VIP October 2013
    kt2of3 ·

What is an Up theme? I'm not familiar with this.

• Briggitte Dix
    October 2019
    Briggitte Dix ·

Those ideas are trendy but I don't think they are "tacky". I would just ask yourself if in 10 years you will look back and still like that idea.

• Pan
    Master March 2012
    Pan ·

Adorable! I love Up! I think if you don't do kiddy props it would work very nicely. It has one of the best movie love stories that's for sure.

• Laura
    VIP April 2014
    Laura ·

Kt2of3, Up is a Pixar movie. That's what I'm worried about Briggitte. I don't want it to appear like a little kid's birthday party. I'm just worried about our wedding seeming flat. Like right now, our running "theme" is pretty I guess.

• T-Rex
    Master August 2013
    T-Rex ·

People have Disney motifs, so there's nothing wrong with Up.

I cry every time I watch the first 10 minutes of it. It's so sweet.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·

Why do you need a theme? Don't get me wrong, I love Up, but I don't feel like you need more of a theme than wedding.

• Nancy Taussig
    October 2019
    Nancy Taussig ·

After one of my recent beach weddings, the photographer passed out about 6 inflated beach balls. She had all of us gather around the bride and groom. She told the 6 people to toss the balls in the air on the count of 3 -- and she snapped photos from a raised platform. I saw one of the pics after -- really cute!

• Celia Milton
    October 2019
    Celia Milton ·

I've never seen this, but I agree with Chrissy. You've got a beach; you have a theme....

• kt2of3
    VIP October 2013
    kt2of3 ·

@ Laura, ok! thanks! That is the only Up I knew of but haven't heard of anyone doing this at a wedding. I don't think it would flow with a beach wedding. You have the beach, what more could you need?

• Goodbye
    VIP October 2014
    Goodbye ·

I don't find it to be tacky, but I think if you want a theme you need to pick one. Don't incorporate the beach aspects in with Up.

You also don't need a theme, just pick a color scheme.

• The Mrs R
    Master May 2014
    The Mrs R ·

I don't think it's tacky, but it doesn't really fit in super well with your already beach ideas. Plus, I don't really understand the point of a theme. I've got the style I like and my colors, and that's about as "theme-y" as it gets for me. That being said, though, Up is a super cute movie!

• Amanda
    Master August 2013
    Amanda ·

Honest opinion: stick with the beach theme or no theme at all. Up is one of my favorite Disney movies, but at the end of the day, it's a children's movie that isn't really even a love story except for the first 10 minutes. I would worry that in 10 years, you'd feel a little silly about it. I'm just picturing future hypothetical children scrolling through your wedding album and asking why there are armchairs on your wedding cake. Just my opinion though, so take it for what it's worth!

• Laura
    VIP April 2014
    Laura ·

Thanks all. DH and I just talked and we so agreed we are fine with just the beachy touches.

Comment on this discussion