Brittany
Expert May 2019

Untraditional walk down the aisle

Brittany, on December 3, 2018 at 2:01 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 14
Saved Save

Hey everyone! So I know there are a lot of different posts about what song you're going to walk down the aisle to BUT I have a different question for those who aren't using the traditional wedding march. How are you making sure your guests know it's you coming down the aisle next? Are you assuming they'll take a hint when the flower girl/ring bearer walk down the aisle? Is your officiant asking guests to please rise? Am I crazy and overthinking the whole thing? HELP! These are the minor details that keep me up at night lol

14 Comments

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·

So I'm walking down the aisle to a country song. It'll be listed on our programs for the song I walk down the aisle too. But I assume people will get the hint when they see our flower girls come down with a sign that says "here she comes!". My walk is also pretty long, so people will inevitably see me and stand up. I'll make sure to tell my parents & family in the front to look back after the flower girls to stand up so everyone else gets the hint though. You could also have your officiant say "please stand for the bride".

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    I walked down the aisle to the same song as the bridal party. My pastor made a gesture for every one to stand up, but usually the mother of the bride stands up first and then the guests follow her lead.
  • Brittany
    Master April 2019
    Brittany ·

I think both of the things you mentioned will get the point across successfully lol

• M
    Mim ·
    They'll know you are coming down the aisle when they see you. Sometimes the music has a change, either to a different piece or with a key change
  • Ciara
    Dedicated June 2019
    Ciara ·
    I am walking down the aisle to the same song as the wedding party. We have timed it perfectly to where I will walk out and down the aisle at the same time that the song says “and now you’re walking down the aisle, and I can’t help but smile” but just in case people don’t know to stand, we have someone who will use a microphone to announce it.
  • Alyssa
    Super December 2018
    Alyssa ·
    Our officiant will be asking everyone to stand
  • starsinwaves
    VIP November 2018
    starsinwaves ·

At every wedding I've been to, the officiant has asked everyone to stand.

• Kristen
    VIP August 2018
    Kristen ·

My guests just figured it out since there was a slight gap between when the last bridesmaid walked down and when I appeared at the doors and the new music began.

• Allie
    Expert April 2019
    Allie ·
    You might be overthinking it. People know when they attend a wedding that the bride will walk down the aisle. A song change will signal that for sure.

We don’t have a bridal party and will just have one song for when my fiancé walks down and then I’ll walk down. I’m not concerned.
  • Tracy
    Super January 2019
    Tracy ·

The entire wedding party will be in place by then, a new song will start and ring bearers will alert everyone that "this is it."

• Stephanie
    Super August 2019
    Stephanie ·
    I am hoping they just take the hint following the flower girls. I am also purposefully only considering songs that have a key change or are dramatic and louder at the end, since I only want one processional song for the whole party and myself.
  • Lacy
    Super December 2018
    Lacy ·
    The way I usually see it done is the officiant asks people to stand.
  • Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    I’m a wedding violinist and I’ve done all kinds of different songs and it’s literally never been an issue. But you can always have the officiant ask the guests to rise which is normal anyway.
  • Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·

Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I'll tell my mom and stepmom to listen so they can stand first

Comment on this discussion