Megan
Just Said Yes June 2019

Unplugged Wedding

Megan, on June 11, 2018 at 12:09 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 24
Saved Save
Hey Y’all!

There is nothing that I dislike more than seeing people with their phones and cameras out during the wedding, special dances, and cake cutting! In fact, I was at a wedding just this past weekend when I heard a woman tell her child that they “needed a good seat so they can get good pictures.” She proceeded to sit in the SECOND ROW! Y’ALL! That is for family! So I am bound and determined to make my ceremony unplugged.

I know my family and friends just want to have fun and take pictures, bless their hearts. So how can I kindly say “please keep your phones out of my pictures that I am paying a LOT of money for”? I was thinking that I would include a card in the invitation that says it’s unplugged, and have a couple of signs as guests walk into the church.

Has anyone tried this? This bride is BEGGIN’ for advice!

24 Comments

• G
    Savvy October 2018
    Gabrielle ·
    • Flag
    I'm curious as well! I want an unplugged wedding, too. I want people to be present in the moment with us!
    I didn't include a note with the invitations but I've been thinking about ways to respectfully make my request known...
  • Megan
    Just Said Yes June 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It makes me sad that we have to do this! I have been looking on Pinterest, there a few cute things on there!
  • muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

I think a polite request from the officiant is more effective than signs. People get signed to death at weddings these days.

I do think you are unrealistic expecting that guests won't take pics at the reception though.

• Alexandra
    Expert October 2018
    Alexandra ·
    • Flag
    There are super cute signs out there. I’m only having two signs at our ceremony, so I don’t think it’ll be too much. I saw a super cute one that basically said, “please enjoy our unplugged ceremony. The bride and groom request that all phones and electronics be put away during the ceremony so that their AWESOME photographer can do what they were hired to do. Thank you!”

you can find find better wording on Pinterest, but that’s the basic idea! Smiley smile
  • Megan
    Just Said Yes June 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I like that a lot! I am not doing signs at the ceremony, but will gladly make an exception for this! Thanks!
  • Megan
    Just Said Yes June 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I was wondering if it would be more efficient to have Father say something before everything starts taking place. I don’t care if they take pictures at the reception, just not during my special dances ❤️
  • Lauren
    Savvy September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    Hi! I definitely want an unplugged ceremony at least and was thinking of getting a cute sign for it and having our wedding officiant also make an announcement. Besides wanting the photographer to have an unobstructed view, I want the guests to be able to just be present and enjoy the moment with us!
  • C
    Devoted November 2023
    Crystal ·
    • Flag
    You can't dictate what people do during your wedding. You can request it for the ceremony but that's about it. I have no desire to take pictures but won't be told I can't have my phone out.
  • Lauren
    Dedicated August 2018
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    Like PP said, people will have their phones out. That’s just the world we live in. I’m going to have a cute sign and have my pastor make an announcement for us. I know I won’t be able to control the reception. You could add a sign or two that encourages people to unplug and make memories instead of making posts during reception. You might get a few less phones this way?
  • P
    Super January 2019
    PalmTrees ·
    • Flag
    Signs are cute, I’m a fan of signs. But not everyone will see it or read it. With or without signs I’d have the officiant say it right when he starts the ceremony. It holds a lot more weight that way and kinda puts people on patrol for any rule breakers to give them a side eye. Puts more pressure on people to listen.
  • Kimberly
    Expert May 2018
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    I put on our wedding website no phones during the processional, ceremony, or recessional. I also had the onsite day of coordinator remind the guests. Yet, the first thing I noticed as appeared at the end of the aisle were several people standing and taking pictures. And later my husband told me that the videographer had to “yell” at his siblings who were getting in the way of the aisle cam to try to get pictures. Ugh! Hopefully it mostly turned out okay anyway. Don’t have my photos are videos yet to find out though.
  • WED18
    July 1993
    WED18 ·
    • Flag

Have your officiant make an announcement before the ceremony begins to silence and put away all phones.

• Janel
    Super September 2018
    Janel ·
    • Flag
    On our wedding website, I put “unplugged ceremony” and:
    We invite you to be truly present at our ceremony, and respectfully request that all cameras and cell phones be turned off. We look forward to sharing our professional photos after the big day!
    I’ll probaby ask the officiant to make an announcement too.
  • Going to the chapel
    Master July 2017
    Going to the chapel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Are you marrying in a Catholic church? If so, priests are really good at getting this point across. For Catholics, it's a no brainer because phones are a no no during all masses. I'd also start spreading word among your family members. As for no phones during your dance, that's probably unrealistic.

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You might want to think more about this! Professional photos can take up to two months to come back after the wedding, and at the very least a week or two to get even a highlight reel. Plus, even if you have more than one photographer you've got, at best, two angles. Some of the pictures my guests have posted of the special dances have taken my breath away. And I really don't see how some people with their phones out can ruin dance photos.

One thing you may want to request is that none of your guests use flash during the special dances, because that can mess with the shots your photographer can get (though my photographer took advantage of the flash from my MIL's camera to get some really cool pictures during my first dance, you can see it if you click on my profile to look at my Pro BAM).
  • SoKatiiee
    Devoted June 2018
    SoKatiiee ·
    • Flag

I thought I wanted an unplugged wedding at first but my mom talked me out of it saying, "you can't control what guests are going to do just as much as you can not control your future sister in law of not wearing black (which she did and I didn't mind!)" And honestly. I'm so glad I did. We had one lady that was covering the door and my day of coordinator politely asked her to sit back down but everyone else was respectful and got very good shots of us through out the wedding, which now I get to enjoy, while I wait for my professional shots. As I sit at the honeymoon, we are constantly looking over the pictures, and reminded of that day and it is great!

If you would like to do it still though, I would definitely have the officiant say something before the start of the service and also a sign because most people will need a reminder.

• OrangeCrush
    Super October 2017
    OrangeCrush ·
    • Flag

Have the officiant make an announcement, that is all you can really do. Our officiant made such an announcement however, a cousin snapped a pic of us kissing as we were pronounced husband and wife. She made it into a stretched canvas print and sent it as a wedding gift, we love it.

Some of those candid shots are nice, but I do understand you don't want a pro picture of you coming down the aisle with everyone with their phones/cameras out.

Good luck!

• Kim
    Dedicated June 2018
    Kim ·
    • Flag

We put it on our wedding website. There will also be a sign (that I'm sure most will miss), a little message in the program, and my officiant is making an announcement as well. I've spread it to all of the bridal party, and plan on making a little announcement at the rehearsal dinner. Our program "poem" is "Thank you for coming, we have but one plea, please keep our ceremony camera free. Though out "I Do's" are unplugged, our reception is not. After we tie the knot, you're free to take a shot!" We'll find out how well it goes in less than two weeks!

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I would put the traditional "this is an unplugged wedding sign" at the ceremony, so people know! You could also put it on your programs, if you plan to do one. We are putting "reserved" signs in the first 2 rows for our family, so everyone knows not to take those seats.

• Tracy
    Super January 2019
    Tracy ·
    • Flag

I only care about phone interruptions and messing up pro photos during the ceremony (people in the aisle seats keeping their phones put away and not screwing up my professional photos and vids). Going to have our officiant make a (funny) announcement about it right before the ceremony begins.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics