We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

LavenderJoy
Master September 2014

Unity Candle....Alternate Option?

LavenderJoy, on August 15, 2013 at 7:51 AM Posted in Planning 0 20
Saved Save

Hello Ladies!

So I would like to do some sort of "Unity" piece to my ceremony. We are getting married outside at a Golf Club and I dont think a Unity Candle will work well outside.

Are there any alternate options of showing a union between the two familes at the Ceremony?

Thanks for your help ladies!

-Talayia

20 Comments

• Marisa-in-Love
    Master July 2014
    Marisa-in-Love ·
    • Flag

Sand Ceremony

example: 3 containers, 1 with white sand, 1 with black sand, 1 empty.

You pour in some of your sand, he does the same, and then you do it together. Smiley laugh

It's very pretty and you can keep it in your home afterwards.

• Shannon
    Master August 2013
    Shannon ·
    • Flag

There was just a discussion about this yesterday. This post has several alternative ideas: https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/what-kind-of-ceremony-are-you-doing-during-your-wedding/328f306d8063ef34.html

• Keli
    Dedicated October 2013
    Keli ·
    • Flag

We are doing a chocolate ceremony. We feel that our family and friends are a major part of who we have become as individuals and a couple so it is a way to incorporate everyone and thank them for their past and future support. They are the ones that have and will be there for us as we continue to move through our ever changing roller coaster lives. I have also seen wine and chocolate ceremonies; dark chocolate representing the dark hard times and wine for the fruitful sweet times. But that seemed too much like taking communion and was only for the B/G.

• Valerie
    VIP September 2013
    Valerie ·
    • Flag

We are doing a tree ceremony!

• The Firefighter's Fiance
    Devoted December 2013
    The Firefighter's Fiance ·
    • Flag

We are doing the Unity Cross: The Unity Cross is a unique way to celebrate the joining of a bride and groom together as one. This multi-piece sculpture is to be assembled during the unity service of the wedding ceremony, representing the joining of two into one. The groom places the outer cross in the wood base. The bride then places the sculpted cross inside the outer cross. The Unity Cross can be displayed in the couple's home after the wedding ceremony as a reminder of their wedding day and the union they share.

• Buffee
    VIP June 2013
    Buffee ·
    • Flag

We did a hand fasting ceremony. It was awesome. See photo...

• Mrs. Duncan
    VIP July 2013
    Mrs. Duncan ·
    • Flag

We did the unity cross as well! I love it as it is now a part of our home.

• Forever (a) Young
    Expert September 2012
    Forever (a) Young ·
    • Flag

Chocolate ceremony? I've never heard of that one, but now I'm intrigued.

We did a sand ceremony. Be very careful if it's windy, though, so none of the sand/bottles end up on the ground.

• Mrs. Selland
    Expert August 2013
    Mrs. Selland ·
    • Flag

@Valerie - How are you doing your tree ceremony??

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

I decided saying vows was enough. They whole unity thing is getting too "gimicky" for my tastes.

• L
    Dedicated September 2013
    Latisha ·
    • Flag

We have five kids, so I bought seven jars (with corks in them) and one large vase and we will be doing the sand ceremony....that way the unity is not only between my FH and I, but including all of the children.

• HISballerina
    VIP October 2014
    HISballerina ·
    • Flag

I love the knot idea but we're having communion. Just the two of us... that will be our unity piece, first communion as one.

• vngb
    Super October 2010
    vngb ·
    • Flag

We did a Unity Tea Ceremony. There is a product called "blooming tea" which is tea leaves surrounding a dehydrated flower. When the tea balls are dropped into hot water, they open up and rehydrate and it looks like the flowers are "blooming" as the tea steeps. What we did: We each chose our favorite flavor of blooming tea and a clear teapot so the process could be easily seen. At the beginning of the entire ceremony, we dropped in our separate tea balls into the one teapot. Throughout the ceremony, the tea steeped and combined the flavors together and the flowers "bloomed". When we got to the unity portion, we poured some of the brewed tea into one teacup and both drank from it.

We completely made it all up, but I think it was really nice, at least for us.

• Mrs. Pezz
    VIP September 2013
    Mrs. Pezz ·
    • Flag

We're doing the wine box, I wanted to do something different and I love that we can use it on every anniversary, look how pretty our box is!!

• vngb
    Super October 2010
    vngb ·
    • Flag

Samanthahaha - that is beautiful! Just curious - how will you incorporate it?

• Dee
    Dedicated September 2013
    Dee ·
    • Flag

We are doing the sand ceremony with all of our kids Smiley smile

• Mrs. Pezz
    VIP September 2013
    Mrs. Pezz ·
    • Flag

@vngb - What Ann said! Lol! We are leaning towards doing the yearly anniversary letters, each year, beginning during the ceremony we will lock up a bottle of wine and letters we wrote each other and then read the letters and drink wine and celebrate. Possibly do the "at your first fight" but I kinda like the on-going tradition of anniversaries to get lots of use out of it.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles