Hermione
Devoted February 2020

Trying to find bridesmaids dresses

Hermione, on April 5, 2019 at 12:20 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 12
Saved Save
So, I am looking for bridesmaids dresses. I am the one that is going to have to foot the bill. Both bridesmaids (1 potential because I haven't asked yet) are in stressful financial circumstances. The confirmed one is a student working 2 low paying jobs barely making ends meat while trying to get her phd. The other one is trying to buy a house. I am in a stressful financial circumstance because I am trying to plan a small wedding. My MoH is my best friend of over 20 years. My other potential bridesmaid is a couple friend of ours and her husband is the best man.

The other problem (not really a them problem but a tailoring one), is one is very pettie (5'2?) and skinny. The other one is plus size and very curvy. The question is where do I find the affordable dress b

So, where did you find yours? I am looking for the $100 or less floor length dress so they can wear whatever shoes they want. My max is $150 because it doubles and ends up being $200-$300 total.

I am thinking about doing this in lieu of bridesmaid gifts. Is that tacky? How would you receive this if you were a bridesmaid?

12 Comments

• Keiwana
    Devoted June 2019
    Keiwana ·
    • Flag
    David’s Bridal. Lulu’s. Amazon. Etsy. Hebeos.
  • Melissa
    VIP September 2019
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    For the dresses, I recommend David’s Bridal or Azazie. Azazie even does custom measurements so they may not even need to get it altered. As a past MOH, I would have loved to be gifted the dress but also recommend that you maybe have something small as a gift, like a gift card or something else thoughtful.
  • Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·
    • Flag

David's Bridal - my girls dresses were $129 and they waited for a 30% off sale, so saved some money. If I was a bridesmaid and the bride explained "hey, I'll buy your dress because I want you to stand with me, but it's really all I can afford" I wouldn't be upset if I didn't get a gift. As a bridesmaid, I'd feel worse I wasn't able to buy my own dress, accessories, hair/makeup, hosting the bridal shower, bachelorette party, etc.. And honestly, since you're getting married next year, that's 10 months for them to be able to save up. $50 a month would be $500 saved and they could buy some of their things.. $50 a month isn't bad - just don't go out to eat like once or twice. As a bride, you *should* buy them thank you gifts though. Their financial struggle isn't your fault. There's a lot of money involved with being a bridesmaid - if they aren't up for the challenge or you know they can't.. let them do something else in the wedding instead of making everyone go broke.

I picked out a color and let the girls pick their own style since they had such different bodies.

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

Honestly, if you can't afford to have bridesmaids, then you probably shouldn't have them. There is nothing wrong with not having a bridal party. IMO it would be tacky to not get them a gift. The gift is supposed to be a thank you for standing up with you, and shouldn't be wedding related. Therefore, their attire and anything else they need for your wedding wouldn't be considered a gift. However, you know your girls better than anyone, and maybe they'd be understanding...considering. As far as where to buy? We got our bridesmaid dresses from David's Bridal. They are floor length, and were originally $159. The girls waited about a month before purchasing, and they had a sale (which they often do), and the dresses dropped down to $111. Another option, if you are into the mix-matched style, could be to check out somewhere like JC Pennys, Macys, etc. Good Luck! Weddings are for sure expensive, and we often find that we end up having to compromise a lot of our original visions to accommodate our budgets.

Side Note: I do agree with PPs. If I was the bridesmaid, I personally would be totally understanding and grateful for you buying my dress. This is why I said "you know your girls better than anyone." In this case, all said and done and they are on board with this idea...I think a nice thank you note to each girl on the actual day would be a sweet sentiment, and wouldn't cost you a thing.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

Maybe look at Azazie. They have floor length dresses starting at $89. You could pick a few styles in the same color and fabric, and let them pick their own dress. Azazie usually does a black friday sale of 10-15% off too. I think buying the dress is totally fine in lieu of gifts. Maybe just a thank you card on the day of!

• F
    Just Said Yes June 2020
    Future Mrs. M ·
    • Flag

Definitely look on Etsy at the infinity dress. Since your girls are different builds the dress could be worn many different ways to compliment their body. They're also only about $45.

• Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    • Flag

Amazon, Lulus, Davids Bridal. I think buying the dress is fine for a gift. You can write them a heartfelt thank you note, also.

• L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

1000x over i would rather have my dress paid for than get a gift. Just write me a thank you note Smiley smile

• Melissa
    VIP October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

We chose to use David's Bridal for our bridesmaids because of the reasons you mentioned - budget and body types. Though we didn't foot the bill for the dresses, we knew every one of the girls had a different body, style and budget. DB worked for everyone. But I will say that if you are looking for ONE DRESS for two very different shaped ladies to wear, it may not work so well lol. But DB is a good place to start.

I also agree with one of the other posters that if finances are a hardship for everyone maybe not having bridesmaids is a good idea. There is no law that you have to have them!

And as far as using this as a gift? I can't speak for everyone, but I know if it were me, I would be THRILLED to have my dress paid for instead of receiving a pair of earrings I'll never wear again or a customized item with a name and date on it. I already have a dress I probably won't wear again without altering it, why would I want more "stuff?" lol

• Hermione
    Devoted February 2020
    Hermione ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I "have" to... It's not a wedding without floral center pieces reasoning...

My budget isn't terrible and I am well under. But I would like to keep under. I have limited seating. So, I am trying to free up seating by having 2 bridesmaids and keep the peace. I will lose in the end but there will be some peace.

Adam Ruins Everything - Why Weddings Are A Total Rip-Off

I am thinking black or dark grey long simple dress.... This way there is hope it is already in their closet. Plan B is being formed tho of buy a cheap one. They flowers are baby breath bouquet.
  • Holly
    Devoted June 2020
    Holly ·
    • Flag
    I personally would not care at all if I was a bridesmaid and I wasn’t given a gift. Tbh most of the gifts are never really *that* great that I’d feel like I was missing out. I think you’re very generous for buying their dresses! Poshmark is also a good place to look for gently used dresses. No returns if it doesn’t fit or look good, though :/
  • Rita
    Beginner October 2019
    Rita ·
    • Flag
    Cocomelody has reasonable priced dresses and they are really pretty.

Comment on this discussion