A
Just Said Yes July 2013

Trouble with Bridesmaids

Andrea, on May 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 18
Saved Save

For my bridesmaid dresses, I picked the color Jade from Alfred Angelo in Chiffon. I counted, there are TWENTY THREE dresses that are jade and chiffon. But my bridesmaids aren't feeling it. Whether it be cost or style or whatever. I am trying to consider my options. I have seen the mismatched bridesmaids on Pinterest, where they all wear a shade of my chosen color (see pic below). We are getting down to the wire though and I don't know if I should change it up now. The bridal shop said that they will take two months to come in, so they need to be ordered no later than the 1st of June. I don't know what to do. PLEASE, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

18 Comments

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

1) Your bridesmaids should suck it up and wear whatever you want them to wear.

2) You need to pin down exactly what the BMs don't like about it. Without having this information, how can you proceed?

Good Luck

• Natalie
    Devoted September 2013
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

All of my bridesmaids are different sizes/shapes. I picked marine from DB and said a shorter length dress in the more shinier material. I went with each girl to help them decide but left the decision up to them since they are paying for the dress. 1 of my BM's is using her dress twice for another wedding too

• A
    Master April 2014
    Angel J ·
    • Flag

This is why i just gave my girls a color and let them make the decision.

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·
    • Flag

I think even if you expand your color choices, it won't help much b/c Alfred Angelo basically makes every dress in the same materials in all the possible colors. So, to add styles you would need to add another fabric option/change the fabric option, which is probably a bigger change than you want to make.

I agree with Paris-- what exactly are your bridesmaids complaining about? Alfred Angelo is probably one of the least expensive bridesmaid dress designers, and chiffon is one of the less expensive fabrics, so they aren't likely to find something they like better for less (unless they are getting dresses off the rack at a department store).

You are being really generous as it is, letting them pick from 23 dresses. So, unless it is specifically the color they don't like (which you shouldn't be asked to change, their dresses need to go with the rest of the wedding), there really isn't anything you should have to do.

• vicky
    VIP May 2014
    vicky ·
    • Flag

I had a similar problem & another girl commented to suggest little borrowed dress.com. I'm so glad she did bc I really think it might solve my problem. I just ordered free swatch samples. You should look into it.

• MonkeysandBananas
    Super May 2014
    MonkeysandBananas ·
    • Flag

I considered the ombré look for the BM's and decided against it because at the end of the day it takes away attention from the bride. I'm letting my BM's choose their own dresses in Horizon from DB or Sapphire from Dessy group. The color is exactly the same, but they can choose their own dresses.

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

Check if the budget isn't the issue -- with 23 options to choose from, as long as the price is in their comfort zone, they should suck it up and pick one.

• Maggie N
    Master August 2013
    Maggie N ·
    • Flag

Word to the wise though- even when you give them a million options just in one color, you will still get complaints. So do what makes YOU happy!

• Mrs. Shanon V
    Master May 2014
    Mrs. Shanon V ·
    • Flag

@ Vicky S: that was me and I stand by it. Best decision I ever made for them. They can pick the color...everything is in chiffon....and they come in long or short options.

• DlovesD
    Master June 2014
    DlovesD ·
    • Flag

If cost is not an issue I would just pick the dress you like best and send out an email "Ok, the decision is made! Here's the dress! Please order by ________. You will all look beautiful!"

• ImHisMRS
    Super August 2013
    ImHisMRS ·
    • Flag

I agree with JustReenski

• Tiffy
    VIP September 2013
    Tiffy ·
    • Flag

Yep it have to be the budget!

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag

Checking out little borrowed dress now. How cool!

• FutureMrsL
    Master July 2014
    FutureMrsL ·
    • Flag

I would probably tell them all to buy one dress or give them an option of a few styles that look nice together. Or just tell them to get a chiffon dress from there that is either short or long and tell them to order their favorite style now. Seriously they need to stop complaining and order something! It is your day, not theirs. I am a bridesmaid for a wedding in June and we picked out style 7172 from Alfred Angelo. It looked good on everyone!

• Ari Flores
    December 2019
    Ari Flores ·
    • Flag

As a former wedding gown consultant and a wedding planner, I understand where you are coming from. You want to make your day special but keep your bridesmaids opinions/tastes in mind also. While there is nothing wrong with that, this is my professional advice. This is your wedding day and you must make the selections. Tell them while you value their feelings and appreciate their input, this is what you have selected. Make your choice and stick to it. It's one day for a few hours to make YOU and your FH happy. Stress that and you wont go wrong. The problem is once you begin to give options you will have a hard time finalizing anything, your current issue. This postpones things for you and in the end will have you more frustrated. If you are currently working with a wedding professional ask for them to step in and take some of the pressure off for you. As professionals thats what we are there for. We understand that you have voices coming to you from the left, right, front, and behind.

• Keriayn
    Devoted September 2013
    Keriayn ·
    • Flag

I love the mismatched thing personally I actually wanted my girls in different dresses since they run the spectrum body type i wanted them to actually like the dress and feel pretty too. Well they didnt like the idea so we picked out a few and decieded on one well I ended up changing my mind abt their dress and picked a different (I knew no one had ordered yet, so it wasn't a big deal) They all have the same dress but I kind of wanted different ones but any who Do what works best for you

• Luckycollection
    December 2019
    Luckycollection ·
    • Flag

If your bridesmaids are driving you nuts over the dresses you have to stop it or they wil keep it up until they wear you down. It's your wedding and your choice of what you want them to wear. If they are all different shapes and sizes, pick out 2 color options, and one style that looks well on everyone....you are the Bride..it's your wedding.Case closed. Once you make up your mind stick your your decision and move onto to the next project.

• Soon to be Mrs. Z
    VIP September 2013
    Soon to be Mrs. Z ·
    • Flag

For my girls we ordered all one dress and ordered extra fabric to add on straps

Comment on this discussion