P.F.
Super May 2018

Travel agent fee

P.F., on April 2, 2018 at 6:15 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 22
Saved Save
I read in a thread on here at some point that travel agents shouldn't charge you anything so I promtly went out and found a travel agent. During our first phone call she said there are no fees but she just sent me an email asking for a deposit to work with her. For those of you with experience booking through travel agents, is this normal? I'm put off that all of a sudden she won't do any more work with me until I give her a deposit

22 Comments

• The Nuptials
    VIP July 2018
    The Nuptials ·
    • Flag

Well why should she? Often times people run off with all the work after someone did the leg work and they book it themselves. Its not like TAs are being paid millions of dollars. They deal with a lot of back and forth for a small sum from their company/the resort.

Are you going somewhere very exotic? If not, I would book on your own.

• Mrs.Whooooo
    Master May 2017
    Mrs.Whooooo ·
    • Flag
    We’ll travel agents have to make money somehow so to me it is understandable that they’d want a deposit
  • muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

Travel agents spend a lot of time planning your trip. It is not unusual for them to want you to commit to a down payment before they do all the work, then you take that information and book the trip on your own.

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Travel agents make their money through commission with hotels they book. She said the money would go towards the trip so I just wanted to make sure this was normal since she initially told me there wouldn't be any fees. I'm always worried about scams and hidden fees when booking anything
    Expert July 2018
    2ndtime1stwedding ·
    • Flag
    Mine said no fees.
    But when she gave us quotes for the resort we asked for including airfare
    she first of all didn’t give us the resort we asked for and second all her quotes were $200-500 more than we could of booked ourselves on other sites.
    we used other sites for reviews and cost comparing before settling on the one we told her we wanted.
    no fees, maybe.
    Higher price-yep.

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Okay that makes me feel a little better knowing it's normal. The reasoning makes sense but I wanted to be sure
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Really? That's worrisome. I might do this on my own then but my main reason for wanting her was because I'm just so busy with work right now I didn't want to worry about booking anything. Thanks for the heads up
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That makes sense.
    We're not going anywhere supremely odd or anything I just don't have the time to kill with planning a trip so I wanted to pass that off to someone else if I could. But I'll see what Groupon has to offer
  • The Nuptials
    VIP July 2018
    The Nuptials ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Where are you going? Maybe we can help! I would not trust Groupon for a honeymoon. Can you FI take this on?
  • J
    Dedicated August 2018
    J.Taylor ·
    • Flag
    Only reason I’m using a travel agent is because there are NO FEES at all. I’m a price checker, I’ve price checked all resorts I’m interested in and everything. She can get me all of the same rates as I can get myself so I’m gonna let her do the booking and sit back.
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This right here is why I like ww so much!
    Originally we were looking at Turks and Caicos until the hurricanes hit.

This morning I caught FH looking at colder places like Ireland and Canada and this is the first time he has been genuinely invested in the honeymoon in a long time so I think either one would be nice. I'd prefer Ireland

He's been really stressed with work and gets home at 1am every night so I don't want to put the planning on him.

I would so greatly appreciate any suggestions you have about Ireland or Canada!
  • H
    November 2018
    happeningmom ·
    • Flag
    I met a travel agent thru a wedding show and went to use her to book a trip to Ireland. Well she said she did this kind of thing, asked for our specifics for the trip, stated that she did not charge for her services and then called me and told me that she had completed everything. Right after she said that she stated hat she need a $250 deposit per person before she would show us anything. I have used travel agents numerous times and never had this happen before. I tried speaking to her and she wouldn’t budge. I started doing my own research, contacting websites etc and in the end found another travel agent who explained all the different options, and we ultimately booked our trip thru her. Don’t get me wrong, if she would have stated in the beginning that there would be a deposit maybe I would have reacted differently but don’t tell me there are no fees, tell em you have a package ready, then tell em I have to pay to see it. If we would have paid the deposit, $500 and not liked her options we would have lost the money. No thanks, there are plenty of other TAnthat will help you without any fees or deposit.
    Expert July 2018
    2ndtime1stwedding ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The reviews I read online surpassed my 2 hour in person meeting and talking with the TA on places.
    she was biased for sure. I wanted real people reviews for the season/month I was traveling. I wanted to hear about pools, food, beds, beaches etc. I wanted to see real snap shots of the places not marketing photos from websites.
    i did all the work in researching and was only going to use the TA to be nice and help her out. But after prices came out higher I said no way.
  • S
    Just Said Yes April 2018
    Shawn ·
    • Flag
    Helli,

It is very common for the agent to asvise there is a service fee to assitance, however that should have been mentioned up-front. I would be completely put off by that and would not utilize her service.
    Good luck!
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    Thanks everyone for sharing your experience with travel agents. I'm fairly convinced now that I shouldn't use her.
  • Casey
    VIP December 2018
    Casey ·
    • Flag
    I’ve never experienced that. I have friends who are travel agents and there should be no fees associated with working with them. Like salespeople, they make money off of commission from your bookings. If they can’t convince you to book with them, then that’s on them. You shouldn’t have to pay up front to use their services.
  • Casey
    VIP December 2018
    Casey ·
    • Flag
    I booked my cruise with a TA but it was primarily to support her as she’s my friend’s sister. I actually had a better deal because I’m a member with my cruise line, but she was able to match that. I had done all the research so I just booked with her to be nice and because she says she’ll give us some sort of honeymoon gift on board 🤷🏻‍♀️ So there was nothing to lose with booking with her in my specific case. But I probably wouldn’t do it again because I’m so detail-oriented I don’t really need their services and the more time I spend with my cruise line the better deals I will get with them.
  • KarenO
    Master June 2018
    KarenO ·
    • Flag

Our travel agent showed us our options before asking for any deposit. He seemed very up-front about everything, and prices that I found on my own were about the same. I just appreciate having someone else handle those details while we're so wrapped up in the wedding.

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    And that is what I had heard, that there shouldn't be any fee. It seems odd to me that she changed her policy from "no fees" to "I need a deposit." Idk if travel agents need to be local or not, don't see why they would, so maybe you can send me your friends info? Hopefully they can tell me ahead of time what to expect as far as money goes
  • Casey
    VIP December 2018
    Casey ·
    • Flag
    Sure! You can find her on Facebook: L’escape Travel by Courtney. I wasn’t actually local to her either, we did everything over Facebook messenger and the phone. She didn’t make me put a deposit until I was actually booking and everything. I ended up paying around half the total cost, and the rest is due to her 2 or 3 months before the cruise.
    I didn’t need her help much, like I had said, but she was great to work with as far as getting all the details of my booking down! I love to see her travel posts and see what kinds of vacations to look forward to in the future!

Comment on this discussion