Jessie
Devoted September 2020

Too Early?

Jessie, on August 27, 2018 at 3:48 PM Posted in Planning 0 7
Saved Save
So FH and I are planning a wedding for September of 2020. In November, we're going down to Mississippi to see his family and celebrate Thanksgiving with them. We live up in Michigan and don't really get to see them all that often. My family is in Indiana so it's easy to go see Mama and Grandma and FMOH on a whim.
Would it be too soon to go dress shopping with FH's mom and sister? I think it would be a fun bonding time and maybe make them feel included in what's going on. I wouldn't be buying a dress. Simply trying to get ideas of what I want as we get closer.

7 Comments

• Yoomie
    VIP October 2018
    Yoomie ·
    • Flag
    You have a date but do you have a venue? I was told it's best to pick a wedding style dress that matches the venue and season (i.e beach wedding in July); you'll be the most comfortable.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I don't think it's too early, just to try on different options. I wouldn't buy one (like you said) but the idea of going to look at colors, necklines, silhouettes, etc. is never a bad idea!

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

I don't think its too early but I agree I'd find a venue before finding a dress. I had to change venues half way through planning and I was really upset because my dress didn't seem to fit the new vibe I was going for very well but its all worked out now.

Its not too early just to see what styles fit your body or what your price range would be. But I definitely would not buy anything unless I had some other details locked down.

• K
    Expert September 2020
    Ka-Rina ·
    • Flag
    I agree w everyone - if you have your venue locked why not... However anyone i know who recently got married ended up purchasing the 2nd or 3rd dress they put on so beware! U might just fall in love w a dress and not be able to leave the store without it Smiley smile
    My vow renewal is in 3rd quarter of 2020 but I wont be going dress shopping till spring 2019 as venue wont be picked till january of 2019. Otherwise I would have gone dress shopping already lol
  • Jessie
    Devoted September 2020
    Jessie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No venues ywt because we're wanting to do a wedding in MS for his family and one in IN for mine. We both have family that have troubles with travles. It has been discussed that we want an outdoor wedding for both.
  • NVV2B
    VIP January 2019
    NVV2B ·
    • Flag

I think it would be fine to go and try on different styles so you can find out what you like and what you don't.

• H
    Expert July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    I would just be cautious becuase say you try something on that you LOVE (i have heard a lot of stories of people going to try on dresses with no plan on buying, and then they find something they love and buy it). You would have 2 options. 1. Buy it and risk dress regret later (again heard stories on people buying too soon then deciding later they want a different option) or option 2, dont buy it and potentially have to drive all the way back to buy it later. There is a chance someone may carry it close to home, but I ran into issues when I found a dress I loved in one store but they didnt carry a size I could fit into. And no one else carried it.

So in the end I think it's fine, but just be carefull...

Comment on this discussion