Angel_D
Master October 2015

to hell with room blocks!

Angel_D, on November 10, 2014 at 9:46 PM Posted in Planning 0 29
Saved Save

We've decided not to have any and save ourselves another 'to do'--most of the hotels havent quoted me any rates that seem worth it- so i'm just going to provide our guests with a list of suggestions for nearby hotels (non-group rate) and call it a day.

anyone else having a similar experience?

29 Comments

• Celia Milton
    April 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

To me it's just another thing for you to deal with. Adult people who are used to traveling can make a hotel reservation, and probably at a cheaper rate than a block.

• Angel_D
    Master October 2015
    Angel_D ·
    • Flag

Thanks Celia, my planner said the same thing to me! i feel good about it Smiley laugh

• Sarah
    Master October 2014
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

That is exactly what I did. Guests chose hotels they are familiar with and in most cases get points/rewards. It was fine. That way people spent what they wanted and could afford.

• MissJessica
    VIP August 2015
    MissJessica ·
    • Flag

I don't think its a big deal, unless you want to have a big event the day afterwards people can easily figure out their own accommodations. Its a great idea to take one stressful thing off the list and not worry about it anymore!

• Christie Williams
    April 2020
    Christie Williams ·
    • Flag

There are a couple of bonuses...sometimes the hotels will give you a complimentary meeting room so that you can have a "welcome" gathering for your family and friends upon arrival. I've also worked with several hotels that gave my clients complimentary honeymoon suites. Something to think about...

• JanuaryWedding
    Super January 2016
    JanuaryWedding ·
    • Flag

I didn't even know room blocks was something a bridal couple was to do for OOT guests. Anytime I've traveled for a wedding, I took care of the arrangements and nothing was said by the couple about rooms. It worked out fine! I say good riddance to the stress and focus on something you care about.

• jewles322
    Master March 2015
    jewles322 ·
    • Flag

It's really not that big of a headache. We were able to block rooms at the Doubletree for a great rate, if they want to find a cheaper hotel they're welcome too, but at least we're having it as an option so they know there's a room for them. Plus we're having a breakfast the following day after the wedding at the hotel for out-of-town guests.

• KellyM
    Super November 2015
    KellyM ·
    • Flag

Im with you girls, not having room blocks. I think all my guess can handle it on their own. I will make suggestions on our webpage, and will try to accommodate the immediate family Smiley smile

• Lindsay Y
    VIP July 2014
    Lindsay Y ·
    • Flag

I didn't bother with hotel blocks. I've never had an issue finding myself a place to stay in a new city, and I figured our guests were adults and could take care of themselves.

• Monana
    VIP May 2015
    Monana ·
    • Flag

Hotels around here don't seem to do blocks. They will offer discounts for weddings, but they don't guarantee rooms or anything. I posted info on my website for the venue and one other accommodation option near by. I won't be hurt if people stay elsewhere.

• Natasha
    Dedicated May 2015
    Natasha ·
    • Flag

We are not doing hotel blocks either especially since we found out that we are financially responsible for a big percentage of the blocked rooms if not all of it, that's not eventually booked by our guests. Too much hassle and too expensive for us.

• Natalie
    Master May 2015
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

We are doing a room block. It really wasn't that much work, simply calling the hotel. The person I needed to talk to wasn't there so I left a message and she called me back. Then she emailed me a contract to sign and send back. Right now the rate isn't a huge discount, but the block rate will stay the same the non-group rate will go up a lot as it gets closer to the wedding by the time invites go out it will likely be a big discount. Plus one of the hotels in town is already full, I don't want my guests to have to hunt to find a hotel with availability.

• Lori
    Master June 2015
    Lori ·
    • Flag

It honestly took me less than 15 minutes on my lunch break to do this. And so far it's a cheaper rate than anything I could find online. I'm getting a shuttle for my guests so it was easier this way. Of course they can stay elsewhere if they choose. But this wasn't exactly a stressful thing to do.

• Jess
    Master May 2015
    Jess ·
    • Flag

Unless there is something going on the same weekend as your wedding that would cause hotel rooms to be in short supply, this just seems like an unecessary "to-do" to me. I'm not bothering with it. Most of our guests are local anyways.

• JaKLyn
    Master November 2015
    JaKLyn ·
    • Flag

We took the time to set up a block, mostly because 75% of our guests are out of town and we get a complimentary shuttle service to and from the reception site. I just felt better going that route so we didn't have to worry so much about people enjoying the open bar then trying to drive to a hotel.

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·
    • Flag

Trying to block hotel rooms in our area was a complete pain in the ass. Many times when I called, no one answered the phone. When they did, I was told I had to call back at a later date/time when a manager was available. When I did call back, again no one would answer the phone or I would be transferred to a sales line that didn't pick up, put me on hold and never came back to me, or was broken. When I did FINALLY get through to one or two hotels out of the 6 or so I was looking at, they quoted me minuscule discounted prices. This was mostly because I had no idea how many guests would be coming to the wedding and booking a hotel.

So, I just said F-it to the whole thing and gave guests a list of hotels to choose from with prices and amenities. BUT, since no one actually read our wedding invite, no one knew our website existed, and therefore no one got the information anyway.

Best decision ever is to save yourself the headache and let your guests figure it out.

• rynney1979
    VIP September 2014
    rynney1979 ·
    • Flag

We did blocks at 2 hotels. We had quite a few OOT guests and it's not terribly fun to drive in downtown Pittsburgh if you're not familiar with the area. Add in downtown parking and a home game for the Steelers and it was a no-brainer. Rooms were in short supply. We had a shuttle pick people up at the hotels, take them to the church and reception, then back. Worked great. We refused to take responsibility for unbooked rooms and got upgraded to an executive suite which was great for getting ready/bridal suite.

It really wasn't that hard to make 2 phone calls but grown ups can usually figure out accommodations-I would just provide them with a list of options with prices for your wedding date.

*spelling edit

• Ostrich
    Master April 2016
    Ostrich ·
    • Flag

Like some of the other girls said it took 5 minutes to do? Worst case scenario is nobody uses it? Who knows what may come up that weekend where your wedding is. I'm not saying you have to but I've had several people ask where ours was. Even if it's not at a better rate I still think you should have something set up so it seems like you tried and took guests into consideration to get them a good rate

• Lara
    Master July 2015
    Lara ·
    • Flag

I think the main reason that I want to do it is because we intend to book transportation from the hotel to the venue and back after...I don't think it's right to ply people full of alcohol and send them on their merry way.

• Mrs.F!!!
    Expert June 2015
    Mrs.F!!! ·
    • Flag

I blocked rooms at hotels nearby to be sure that there were some rooms available since neither location has many hotels and it is close to graduation parties and tourism season.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics