Brooke
Expert November 2019

To go where we've been or somewhere new...

Brooke, on February 25, 2019 at 2:01 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 11
Saved Save

So here's the deal, we both really wanted to go to either Bali or South America for our honeymoon. However after looking at the price of flights we are reconsidering. We have found accommodations at both locations that would be around $2000-$3000 for 9-10 nights, however the flights over there would be about $2500. And then of course you have to add in food and fun which can make this trip WAY over budget. I was really keen on us going somewhere that neither of us had been before so we can spend time together exploring places together for the first time, BUT he is now wanting to consider Costa Rica (which is somewhere he has been multiple times on surf trips). Has anyone on here ever been to Costa Rica or have any options of nice honeymoon resorts? My FH has only ever stayed at hostels or surf camps. Also, are there any other place on Central or South America that I should look into before considering Costa Rica (since he has visited there a lot)

11 Comments

• Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag

I've been to Costa Rica, but I stayed at a friends house. Very nice, but I understand you wanting to go somewhere new! Have either of you been to the Virgin Islands?

• Megan
    Super May 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag

We have been to Maui before and were strongly considering going again for our honeymoon. In the end we decided on Greece because it's a once in a lifetime trip and with us wanting to start a family pretty soon after getting married, we have more a chance of going back to Maui sooner than we would go to Greece (probably going to go for our 1st anniversary even if I'm pregnant) Even if you don't go to Bali or South America, I'm sure there are lots of options of new places you guys can go and still be on budget.

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

Costa Rica is amazing, but I'm not a particular fan of going back to somewhere I've already been when there's so much to be explored in the world! You could try the Virgin Islands like Allie suggested, or Belize! The latter is very similar to Costa Rica in weather/temperature, but a little more beachy and laid back.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

We are going to Hawaii for ours. We went to Cabo two years ago & really liked it!

• Jessie
    Devoted May 2019
    Jessie ·
    • Flag
    Belize is awesome and so is Nicaragua. We are hitting up panama for our honeymoon
  • Quinta Nikkole
    Dedicated May 2019
    Quinta Nikkole ·
    • Flag
    So for our honeymoon we are going to DC/New York. I have never been back east that far but my FH has been all over (ex-army) so it's more of a new place for me, but we will explore places that he hasn't been able to.
  • Alycia
    Super July 2020
    Alycia ·
    • Flag
    Check out Cozumel Mexico. It might be just what you are looking for.
  • Samantha
    Super August 2019
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Grenada is a lovely little islands and tons of islands are around there, I don't know of honeymoon spots because I usually stay with friends but it's not touristy and quite romantic feeling.

• Samantha
    Super August 2019
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Also, I don't know where you're flying in from...but my fiance and I recently were in Bali. Our 10 day trip for accommodation was only $800 (a private pool villa) and that included the most amazing fresh breakfast. The owner also gave us great deal on a motorbike to get around on and it was in the heart of Bali in Ubud so near the tourist stuff without being in the thick of it.

We found flying in somewhere close like Bangkok then taking a local flight through AirAsia also made our tickets only about $800 RT each. We easily spent under $1K on 'fun stuff' and food when we got there too.

• Colleen
    Dedicated May 2020
    Colleen ·
    • Flag
    We are planning on Costa Rica. I have never been, my fiancé took a course there but mainly was studying and only saw the rainforest. So it’s not new to him but what we will do is new.

Tabacon resort is a place that I have heard fenomenal things about. We are also booking an all inclusive at the beach for the second half. Airfare also seems very reasonable for July (which is when we will be going).
  • Autumn
    Dedicated September 2019
    Autumn ·
    • Flag
    I think we are going to Costa Rica. We both have never been and we found a great Groupon for 7 days for $1299. That includes both of us, many tours, and 12 meals. They also provide transportation to and from the airports, the hotels, and the tours. And are very accommodating for extending the trip which we are going to do. I’m thinking more like 9 days. It’s not very beachy because that’s not really what I wanted. But I am hoping to see sloths!!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics