Brae
VIP September 2019

To do lists

Brae, on April 18, 2019 at 1:13 PM Posted in Planning 0 19
Saved Save
Hey everyone. I have a question for those already married, or almost there. What's one or more tasks that you waited on finishing, but realized you could have done it earlier? I think this could help those of us that feel like we're a but in a lull. Thanks!

19 Comments

• Nicole
    Devoted November 2019
    Nicole ·

Here for the comments

• Alicia
    VIP August 2019
    Alicia ·

Following!

• Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    I think Im good, but you never know! Following!! ❤
  • Allie
    Rockstar August 2019
    Allie ·

I'm currently procrastinating with ordering invitations. There's so many to choose from but I really don't care that much. My goal was to order by the end of this month.

• Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen ·
    Hair trial, honeymoon shopping/packing, writing out ceremony, writing vows, bridal party gifts, making signs, cake topper...

I still think the best thing to do when you’re in a lull is make insanely detailed lists of what needs to get done, and when. Now that I’m just about 6 weeks out (!!!) the bride brain is really setting in, I’m so scattered and would be forgetting everything if it wasn’t written down in 4 different places!
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yess! I'm also trying to order invites, but I'm going through minted and they do free addressing and I'm still waiting on 2 addresses. soo until I get those then I'll order.
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I will definitely write out a list tonight. I should definitely get on the DIY stuff I'm planning to do, but I'm planning on using my sister's cricut, so just have to plan that with her.
  • Allie
    Rockstar August 2019
    Allie ·
    View Quoted Comment

I'll have to check minted again! I had narrowed it down to Basic Invite because they did free addressing too. I'm just doing one flat invite and having people RSVP on our website. Are you having a whole suite?

• Melissa
    VIP October 2018
    Melissa ·

When I got to the point of my "lull" (well, a few of them - things came in waves) I became an obsessive list maker. I would literally just take 30 minutes and write out every single tiny detail that I needed to figure out. Basically just "wedding word vomit" on a notepad. Sometimes it was full of thoughts or ideas, sometimes phone calls I needed to make, questions to ask, etc. But each time, I'd just go down the list, and cross of things I had already done, put due dates on upcoming items, and research anything that needed my attention. As it gets near the end, the wedding word vomit becomes less and less, but that's a good thing!

Doing this fairly regularly ended up helping me not miss ANYTHING. Every tiny detail was taken care or (and/or delegated to the proper person/vendor) and everything went smoothly without me having to freak out

• H
    Savvy October 2019
    H G ·

Are you DIYing any of your decor? Someone gave me the advice to start DIY projects ASAP, because a lot of people procrastinate them until the last minute and then end up really stressed trying to get them done. I'm also in a bit of a lull so I'm thinking of starting some of my DIY soon.

• Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    View Quoted Comment
    That's exactly what I did. Started table numbers like in September! I have a couple outstanding DIYs that I need to finish up that seem more daunting now, and one is the program so it HAD to wait til closer when things were more finalized.
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm actually doing the all in one invites with the RSVP as a year off postcard on the bottom. I'm pretty sure basic invite also has those.
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Okay. This is the second time physical lists are coming up. I will definitely do that. Thank you!!
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yess. I am doing some, but just a few. Nothing too big, just card box, welcome sign, and table numbers, I think. I am planning on working on those this weekend. Thanks!
  • Danielle
    Expert March 2019
    Danielle ·

I had a couple of small DIY projects that I probably could have finished earlier than I did, but they weren't what stressed me out the most. I always knew there would be things to do last-minute/week-of, but the 3 that bugged me the most were rings, vows and honeymoon.

Since my engagement ring was custom made, we ended up getting both of our bands made by the same jeweler. We thought we'd start that process over Christmas break (March 9 wedding), but then the jeweler was on vacation. We met with him when he came back, but then he was also getting backlogged with orders due for Valentines Day. Then change the finish on hubby's ring...and change it again. And send them out to get our wedding date engraved inside. So I can finally go running to the shop after hours 3 days before the wedding. Long story short, allow as much time as you can for design, shipping, changes, whatever.

Hubby had said early on that he thought we should write our own vows, but kept pushing back actually sitting down to do it. We were having a friend officiate, so we were already writing the whole ceremony. Wanted to get that done first to hand off, fine. Pick the readings so our readers could have them to practice, fine. Googled some ideas so we could think about what we wanted to say and how we wanted to say it. Fine, fine, fine. So we finally finished writing them 2 nights before the wedding...had him print them out while I was getting my nails done the next morning before we ran up to the hotel for the weekend.

Some parts of the honeymoon just got lost in the shuffle, trying to get wedding things done on time. We were doing it all ourselves, which was OK because we travel often enough. Flights had been booked last summer, and hotels were done around the holidays. But week of the wedding...how are we getting to the airport? How are we getting airport to first hotel? Didn't we want to do that tour Monday the day we land? Ack!!

• Megan
    Super May 2019
    Megan ·

DIY projects, bridal party gifts, making song lists (do not play, ceremony, reception, etc)

• Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Ahh. I'm glad it all went well though! We are all set with honeymoon (just gotta finish paying for it), we have his ring, and we're currently going through the design of mine. Our ceremony is mostly written, but we still have to finish it. That's a good item to cross off soon. Thanks!
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I only have a few DIY projects, but I can definitely get them done sooner rather than later. My bridesmaids gifts are in the works and fh knows what he wants to get his people. We're struggling with parent gifts! We also have most of the songs picked out. Just need to settle on our grand entrance song.
  • tmanscavo
    Dedicated May 2019
    tmanscavo ·

Completely agree with DIY stuff. There can be a learning curve to some things, and you want to figure that out early. Also, accessories! That's one thing right now at 5 weeks that I'm like meh, I should have done this long ago.

Comment on this discussion