Jennifer
VIP November 2013

that's what i get for trying to be crafty

Jennifer, on September 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 18
Saved Save

I'm really not an artistic person and really envy all the cool DIY things I see so many brides on here making.

I decided I would attempt to make a few things. One is to make my own toasting flutes. I saw these really cute wine glasses at Christmas Tree Shops the other day, so I bought some cheap flutes and I got sharpie paint pens yesterday to draw on them.

I was just cleaning them and thinking that I would try my hand at drawing on them today. While I was in the middle of drying the second one, I guess I pushed a little too hard with the dishcloth inside and the next thing I knew, it was broken and my hand had a small slice in the middle of it. It HURT. I shooed my cat that was at my feet into a room I could close him and the others in so I could clean up.

I'm so sad and disappointed. I hope I don't have any glass left in my hand. Didn't see any. I guess I'm not meant to be crafty... Smiley sad

Anyone else just terrible at this too?

18 Comments

• Kelly H
    Super November 2013
    Kelly H ·
    • Flag

I have all these good ideas in my head, but can't seem to get them to work. I guess the artist gene skipped me because my kids are very talented. So my daughter and I will be doing a DIY day. I have the ideas, she makes it work.

I hope your hand gets better. The mom in me is going to expect an update to be sure you're ok. Smiley smile

• HalloweenBride
    Master October 2013
    HalloweenBride ·
    • Flag

It's because you bought cheap ones. NOT because you're not crafty.

• P
    Super March 2014
    Poppet ·
    • Flag

HalloweenBride is probably right.

I made the mistake of buying cheap wine glasses ONCE, never again. Ended up shattering the damn thing and looking like I'd stroked a porcupine.

Best of luck on your future crafty-ness though. Smiley smile

• Nonna T
    Master April 2014
    Nonna T ·
    • Flag

I hope you are not hurt, first and foremost.

I am the least crafty person in the world. My very crafty friend, when hearing I want to attempt something diy yells "STOP! i am on my way!"

Just remember, we are all good at something Smiley smile

• LaurenVictoria
    Super October 2013
    LaurenVictoria ·
    • Flag

Jennifer, that could have happened to even the most artistic, crafty person. don't worry about it. I think everyone can do DIY crafty things. try again maybe with more expensive glasses or try another project.. you might surprise yourself.

• Faeriedance
    Expert August 2014
    Faeriedance ·
    • Flag

I agree with the others, shattering a poorly made (or cheap) glass in your hand while drying it has nothing to do with your craftiness or lack thereof. Chin up and try again, or maybe try something different.

Hope your hand does ok. =)

• Future Mrs. H
    Expert September 2015
    Future Mrs. H ·
    • Flag

Since you have the other glass you can practice on that one to see how it looks and then buy more expensive ones for the project. Think of it as a practice run.

• Stephanie
    Master November 2014
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

This is going to sound nearly irrelevant, but make sure you use extra permanent sharpies. Alcohol can wash off sharpies.

• Jennifer
    VIP November 2013
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

Thanks all. Yeah, I'm sure it is because of the cheap glass and my general klutziness/bad lucky - but it just figures that when I attempt to actually be crafty it goes and backfires on me. I'm taking it as a sign that this project wasn't meant to be. lol

Hand is doing okay. Nice and bandaged up, but it wasn't big that I would need stitches or anything. I'm not totally turned off from my other DIY's... just happy they don't involve glass!! haha

Kelly - your day with your daughter sounds great! What a fun way to hang out together and doing wedding things Smiley smile

Stephanie - I bought the Oil Based Paint Sharpies. I read online that they can be used on glass?

• T.
    Master November 2013
    T. ·
    • Flag

Hey sweetie. I hope you're ok.

Don't feel that bad. Everyone has to start somewhere. Don't give up. I think that your ambition alone will surprise you, later down the road. Go get some more flutes and try again. If you're just over it, hit Etsy and get going because wedding day is right around the corner! xozo

• Jennifer
    VIP November 2013
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

FH got home and I told him all about it. I had drawn a little bit on the one that wasn't broken and he told me it was cute and I should keep going. So I finished a bit more of the details on it. He ended up liking it and I'm pretty happy with it too. Now I'm thinking maybe I will try and make another one. I will just make him do the washing and drying this time. Be nice, this is my first DIY and I went through blood and tears to get this!! haha

At least I can kind of laugh about it now...

• Rubicole
    VIP August 2014
    Rubicole ·
    • Flag

Sorry about your hand Smiley sad

But your glass came out nice! I like it!

• Faeriedance
    Expert August 2014
    Faeriedance ·
    • Flag

That's cute Smiley smile you could tape (very carefully) clip art or what not on the inside of the glass to use sort of as a stencil to trace on the outside too... just a thought. It looks nice though, good job.

• TooManyMistys
    Master June 2014
    TooManyMistys ·
    • Flag

I think its cute and have totally had a glass break on me while cleaning it too lol

• T.
    Master November 2013
    T. ·
    • Flag

I think it's beautiful. If you lived closer I'd totally ask you to make some of those for my BM's. Great job, love. xoxo

• M
    Just Said Yes June 2015
    Maria ·
    • Flag

Glad your hand is fine. Keep going. I like it. Its a cute idea.

• Jennifer
    VIP November 2013
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

Thanks ladies Smiley smile

• Kelly H
    Super November 2013
    Kelly H ·
    • Flag

I would be thrilled to receive this as a wedding guest. I love DIY because it shows how much you appreciate the ones you do it for.

BTW glad to know your hand is ok.

Comment on this discussion