Trina
Dedicated May 2018

Thank You Cards!!

Trina, on June 10, 2018 at 2:07 PM Posted in Married Life 0 11
Saved Save

When you write thank you cards what do you put in them? I just finally got around to buying them today and we got married on the 19th of May. Our wedding cost a lot of money cause we paid for our wedding ourselves and we are still recovering from it.

11 Comments

• A
    Devoted May 2020
    Ali ·
    • Flag
    This is a great question! I'm also wondering what to say in thank you cards!
  • Going to the chapel
    Master July 2017
    Going to the chapel ·
    • Flag

Thank the guest for attending. Tell them it was wonderful to see them or something along that line. If they gave a boxed gift note the gift in the card. If one or both of them did something fun or noteworthy, reference that in the card. For instance, "Jane and James, Joe and I so enjoyed seeing you at our wedding. We appreciate you making the trip from Florida. Thank you so much for the crystal wine glasses. Joe and I have already enjoyed drinking our favorite white wine from them. James' version of the funky chicken was one of the highlights of the evening."

Just start writing and they will become easier.

• Trina
    Dedicated May 2018
    Trina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for your help
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    It should be a few sentences long and handwritten. It's a style choice about whether you write it in the first person singular and just mention your SO "DH and I were so glad you could make it" and then sign it just from you, or if you just write it as "We" and then sign it "OP & DH."
    For every one you should:
    * Thank them specifically for what they got you and mention something about how you plan to use it. If it was money, you don't need to name the amount. Call it the "generous gift" but still mention how you plan to use it.

*Thank them for coming to the wedding, tell them you appreciate them being there, if you can mention something specific you remember from talking to them/seeing them there (this was easy for me with only having 43 guests, it will be more difficult with larger weddings).
    If they didn't come to the wedding thank them for the gift and mention they were missed (assuming they were invited).

There's an article that gave examples of how to word thank you notes for all different kinds of guests and relationships. I'll go find it and post it here.
  • Trina
    Dedicated May 2018
    Trina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much I would greatly appreciate it!!
  • Heather
    Super June 2018
    Heather ·
    • Flag

Following!

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    Https://www.theknot.com/content/a-complete-guide-to-sending-thank-you-notes

https://www.theknot.com/content/a-complete-guide-to-sending-thank-you-notes
  • Amanda
    Expert June 2018
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    Mine all say this
    "A simple note can hardly say
    How much love we felt on our special day.
    A heart felt thanks from us to you,
    For your presence and you present too."
    I will be adding a hand written note to each of them along with a photo from the wedding with our thanks again.

I am also asking people to make our the envelopes with thier addresses because I want to get them out as soon as we get back from mexico.. we will only have 2 days after the honeymoon before we move across the country and I don't want to let the thanks get missed.
  • Jamie
    Dedicated June 2018
    Jamie ·
    • Flag
    Most of mine went something like this: “Dear So and So: thank you so much for your generous wedding gift! We are so glad you could celebrate the big day with us. We hope you had fun and would love to see you again soon! Love, J + J”

if it was someone closer to me i me I mentioned that we are saving for a house. If it was a specific gift I mentioned that—for instance my friend who couldn’t attend sent us wind chimes. So I wrote how we’ve been sprucing up out back porch and fire pit area and that they were the perfect addition to it.
  • FirstTimeMOB
    October 2018
    FirstTimeMOB ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You are asking your guests...the people who are giving you the gifts...to address their own thank you note envelopes??

This should not be done. They should not be asked to participate in the creation of their thank you note. Spend the time NOW addressing the envelopes yourself if you want to get them out that quickly.

• C
    Master July 2018
    Cuoghi ·
    • Flag
    What do you normally write in thank you notes? You thank them for coming, you thank them for the gift.

Comment on this discussion