Brittany
Expert May 2019

Tell me about your wedding day undergarments!

Brittany, on January 16, 2019 at 2:36 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 13
Saved Save

I have my first alterations appointment on Monday (eek, that means we're getting so close!) and she told me to bring the undergarments I'm wearing on my wedding day with me.

Stress and feelings of dread, enter stage right. I'm going to try the dress on again as is this weekend to decide if I want to wear shapewear or not. A part of me doesn't because of comfort, but I also want to look my best and if that means sucking my stomach rolls in for hours, so be it. I also need a strapless bra. I have a Body by Victoria from Victoria's Secret right now and I HATE it. I feel like I'm constantly pulling it up.

SO. Help a girl out! What are your favorite shapewear items? I don't want a full body anything- I think something midrise would be okay because the area that I'm most self conscious of is my "mom pooch." (Can you still call it that when your "baby" is almost 8? Oops.) What are your favorite strapless bras that I don't have to order online? I wear a 36DDD so options are already limited! I'm hoping she can sew cups into the dress and that the strapless bra won't be necessary, but I want to be prepared just in case.

Also on an alterations note, has anyone gotten several estimates from different seamstresses or did you just stick with the first price you got? I ordered my dress from Dillard's so I don't have a bridal shop recommendation. I picked the one with the most/best reviews on Google but the reviews said she's pricier than some others in the area. My philosophy is "you get what you pay for" but I only spent $160 on the dress and don't want to spend an arm and a leg on alterations.

13 Comments

• Lizzy
    Super October 2019
    Lizzy ·
    I just got a 36ddd strapless branfrom torrid the I like. I'm wearing it to try on dresses tomorrow
  • Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    I’m just wearing regular underwear, no slip although I’m considering getting one of those bathroom buddy slips. And they sewed in bra cups to my dress.
  • Courtney
    Rockstar December 2019
    Courtney ·

I'm wearing just regular shape wear, and if you're looking for something I would suggest going to Kohl's. I both mine there a couple of years ago and it hasn't let me down yet.

And while I may not be a busty girl, one of my friend is and had the seamstress sew in a full strapless bra into her dress. She said it held up pretty well and since the backing was elastic it was more comfortable throughout the day.

• Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

I've never tried Torrid, I'll have to check it out. I hope you had a blast trying on dresses!

• Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

Yeahhh I tried the dress on with and without Spanx that I already had and the discomfort of the Spanx was not worth the tiny bit of difference they made haha. I think I'm just going to get some high-rise completely unsexy granny panties that have moderate support lol

• Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

Ah, genius! If she can't sew in individual bra cups I may ask her to do that with the strapless bra I already have since I'm not super attached to it

• Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·

I'm 46 DDD and I bought my strapless bra online at ashleystewart.com, it's the butterfly bra by Jill Scott. The strapless bra at Torrid is nice too! I'm wearing spanx, well that's what I wore to my fitting anyway

• Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes I think comfort is definitely priority
  • Zoe O.
    Devoted November 2019
    Zoe O. ·

If you don't want to have to worry about a slimmer/shaper rolling down or going anywhere, then I'd recommend a good old fashioned corset or shapewear with boning in it.

I'm fairly old fashioned in my style, so I'm wearing a victorian steel-boned corset under my dress.

• Monica
    Savvy April 2019
    Monica ·

Your seamstress should be able to add a corset into the dress along with cups so you don't have to wear a bra. I'm a DD and I'm having cups added and she's adding boning into the dress to create support and hold me in since the back of my dress is so low and I cannot wear any shapewear.

• Lucia
    Savvy July 2019
    Lucia ·
    View Quoted Comment

What corset did you get?

• Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

My dress already has boning. We talked about adding cups in but the strapless bra gives me better shape so I'm going to take that route instead. I think it's also the cheaper option which is a win in my book lol

• Ashleigh
    Savvy March 2019
    Ashleigh ·

I'm a 34 DDD so going without a bra wasn't an option. I considered having cups sewn in, but I went with a merry widow from What Katie Did.

It has a sweetheart neckline and removable straps so I can wear it other times. It's not that constricting like the torsolette that I tried my dress on with at DB. I can breathe, and sit in it so all is well!

Comment on this discussion