Mrs. Lav
Master November 2015

Stupid nail question

Mrs. Lav, on November 2, 2015 at 1:01 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 20
Saved Save

Okay, this is dumb. But, as a not-so-girly girl, I have a question for those of you who get regular manicures.

We have time on Friday afternoon to set up our decor. I think we'll probably be doing that from 1 to 3:30 or so. We have the rehearsal at 6. In between the two, I was thinking we could check into the hotel and possibly get nails done. I was planning to treat my bridesmaids. Only two (possibly three) of the five are around to get nails done at that time, but another one may show up if she can get out of work. I'm worried about walking into a salon on a Friday afternoon and would prefer to get an appointment, which I can't do without an accurate count.

The two bridesmaids that would be around for nails are also helping to set up (neither are working Thursday or Friday this week-- one is FSIL who is a dancer and has erratic rehearsal schedules, and the other BM is a teacher who is off for the NJ teacher's convention).

(cont.)

20 Comments

• Mrs. Lav
    Master November 2015
    Mrs. Lav ·
    • Flag

I'm wondering if we should go Friday morning instead of trying to rush it in between set up and rehearsal, but then will nails get ruined during set up? Should I get a gel manicure? Will that last better? I've never gotten one before.

The bridesmaids who can't make it don't really care. I told them they don't need to get anything done professionally-- just would have been my treat if they were around.

• Bethyonce
    Master February 2015
    Bethyonce ·
    • Flag

Gel will last better and less chance of chipping. Ask your girls which they would prefer. If you do it between set up and rehearsal, you are cutting your time short. You'd probably want to do morning so there's less stress.

• Ally
    Master October 2016
    Ally ·
    • Flag

I always get gel manicures. They are very durable, and I would suggest in the morning so you're not rushing. The moment the manicure is finished, you can touch all the things! That's what I love about it. It's also less harsh on your nails vs acrylic, though of course both are still not the healthiest for your nails.

I actually work in shipping (I handle various heavy boxes/equipment) and gel manicures LAST through the abuse I put them through!

• Elyse
    Master September 2015
    Elyse ·
    • Flag

I would do it in the morning and get gel. The wedding got me hooked on gel manis. I'm getting ready to go get one now haha. They last me a good 2 weeks and I'm hard on my nails.

• Tara
    Devoted November 2015
    Tara ·
    • Flag

I suggest Gel so you don't have to worry about chips before your wedding. Whether you want to do it before or after your venue set up is more related to your timeline. Either way I would suggest making an appointment for the girls you know will be there. The Nail salon will easily accommodate one or two more the day of.

• MrsLaurenET
    Master September 2016
    MrsLaurenET ·
    • Flag

If you decide to go, definitely make an appointment and make sure they work on you all at the same time. The polish might take a while to dry. As far as the type of manicure, I would recommend gel if you're planning on using your hands for setup. That way you won't have to worry about chipping.

• JoRocka
    Master September 2016
    JoRocka ·
    • Flag

I'd go with gel and go in the morning- if you're careful you should be okay for set up- but odds are you're going to be REALLY pressed for time if you try to squeeze it in- set up is probably going to take longer than you think and you want to relax and enjoy rather than "hurry up lady and finish the job".

• Mrs. Lav
    Master November 2015
    Mrs. Lav ·
    • Flag

Ahh good to hear. Ally, that's what I was worried about-- there will be a lot of box carrying and similar nail abuse. Thanks guys!

• NowASeptMrs
    Master September 2015
    NowASeptMrs ·
    • Flag

I did gel and the same thing as you, get nails done between set up and rehearsal.

It was a little rushed, but it was also nice to relax. Gel does take about 30 to 40 minutes to do. I called ahead to a salon the Monday before the wedding and booked 2pm for 5 girls to make sure they had enough staff on hand. It wasn't a salon/spa that requires them, just a strip mall type place. But we got there and they could do everyone at once which was very nice.

My girls just got a regular french though.

• Ally
    Master October 2016
    Ally ·
    • Flag

Yeah I mean right after my manicure got done I was able to pick up things etc etc.

eta: and yeah they take 40-45min. There's lots of layers that dry for 1min in-between, which helps with the durability

• M
    Master July 2015
    m ·
    • Flag

I can make it three weeks on gel and I mucked out urine soaked hay all morning yesterday. It lasts.

• N
    Master October 2016
    no1 ·
    • Flag

GET GEL! lolsorry I just have had the best experince with gel (and I am not very nice to my manicures, I was dishes without gloves, dig in my garden, use my nails as tools etc...) I went on a 7 day cruise and got my nails done 2 days before the cruise and I got one chip from trying to open a can Smiley tongue. and that is it. And also most salons if you make an appointment for 3 and you bring 4 they will try to squeeze your extra in. Most salons best service is for weddings, tell them you are a getting married and they will treat you and your girls way diffrent (they want your bridesmaids to think of them when they get married and bridezillas lol)

• Mrs. Lav
    Master November 2015
    Mrs. Lav ·
    • Flag

M, I laughed at "urine soaked hay". Thanks for that visual.

• JoRocka
    Master September 2016
    JoRocka ·
    • Flag

LOL- you laugh- that stuff is brutally heavy !!!

(and if left to long- worse than an old ripe cat box)

• Mrs. Lav
    Master November 2015
    Mrs. Lav ·
    • Flag

Okay next question-- are gel manicures really that hard to remove when they start to come off?

• M
    Master July 2015
    m ·
    • Flag

Hahahahah jo's right, just pointed it out less for visual effect (more like smell effect...) and noting that that shit is heaaaaaaaavy.

Kind of. They have to be soaked. Don't peel, it pulls up layers of your actual nail with it. Best to just get the removal done at the salon too, but after 3 weeks mine usually starts falling off on it's own, and they have to remove a couple of nails worth.

• Holly
    VIP July 2016
    Holly ·
    • Flag

There are also gel polishes that come off with normal nail polish remover, like Sally Hansen Miracle Gel. I got one done with that polish the day before doing some ceramics, which normally RUINS my nails-- it's really abrasive. It did chip, but only a bit, so my guess is that it would hold up for setting up.

If you were really worried, they could wear light gloves while setting up.

• Celia Milton
    April 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Gels, for sure. I can go three weeks with mine.

• HereComeTheYorks
    Master April 2016
    HereComeTheYorks ·
    • Flag

I would go in the morning or the day before and do a gel manicure Smiley smile

• km90
    Super June 2016
    km90 ·
    • Flag

Another vote for gel!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics