Ashley
Beginner June 2020

Stuck between two venues

Ashley, on February 28, 2019 at 11:19 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 12
Saved Save
I’ve had to make some pretty big decisions in my life, but this might be the most stressful situation that I’ve found myself in. My wedding is in June 2020 and I’ve already booked my wedding ceremony at this beautiful plantation in Charleston, SC. Unfortunately, I didn’t love the on site reception location and am looking elsewhere to have the reception. I’ve seen a bunch of sites and have narrowed it down to two: The Citadel Beach Club and Harborside East. There’s pros and cons of each. Since the price is about the same considering outside rentals I’d need and all, the biggest factor is distance from the ceremony. The beach house is 30-45 min depending on traffic, and the other site is only 15-25 minutes. They’re both beautiful sites with water views, but the beach house interior is bright and airy and just fantastic, but further away. I just don’t know what to do! I can’t start my wedding until 4:45 at the earliest at the plantation and if I finished at 5:15 and took pictures till 6 I wouldn’t get there till 6:30ish and music would start at 7 because it has to be quiet starting at 10. The guests could start dinner though as soon as they arrived around 6. Will I be rushing things too much? Any advice would be much appreciated.

12 Comments

• Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    Ashley, do you have pics so we can help with your decision? I'd love to see you venue, as well. ❤
  • Ashley
    Beginner June 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    So that first photo is McLeod Plantation where the wedding will be. It’s perfect and there was no question once I saw it that it was what I wanted. The next 3 photos are of the Citadel Beach Club, it’s right on the ocean with beach access, we can use the front patio and the wrap around porches, and the inside is so pretty. The last 4 photos are of Harborside East. It’s a very different look on the interior from the beach club, but that water view and of the bridge is lovely. As far as the look of my wedding, I’m going to do a dusty blue color palate with silver and lots of greenery.

Stuck between two venues 1

Stuck between two venues 2

Stuck between two venues 3

Stuck between two venues 4

Stuck between two venues 5

Stuck between two venues 6

Stuck between two venues 7

Stuck between two venues 8
  • Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    Love your ceremony venue!! Gorgeous. I like both of the reception area places. Beautiful!! If you think time will be a factor, personally I'd go with the closest one. It doesn't sound like you can change the time and your evening will go by quickly. Your colors sound gorgeous!! Best wishes ❤
  • John
    Dedicated July 2019
    John ·
    • Flag
    How about venues people? Did you talk to them? Which ones comfortable and trustworthy for you?
  • Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    I like the second one pictured better honestly! I also like that it is closer which typically wouldn't be a big deciding factor for me but since your timeline is a little small for that king of a drive, I like the short distance
  • G
    Dedicated June 2020
    Gabby ·
    • Flag
    I would pick the closer one. Is there anything about the people or venue that makes one better than the other?
  • Jessica
    VIP June 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I am June 2020 as well! I would pick the closer one!

• Cynthia
    Expert May 2019
    Cynthia ·
    • Flag
    I honestly love both reception venues pictured! You could use white or ivory linens to brighten it up a little, since you seem to like the airiness of the first option. Given you need to take pictures, I would choose the closer location. Have them start off with a cocktail hour, then dinner can start when you arrive. That gives 44 minutes for pictures and travel time. We start dinner at 6:40pm after a cocktail hour with appetizers, and our music has to end at 10pm as well. That’s my two cents, for what it’s worth!
  • Ashley
    Beginner June 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    Update: I can have the reception till 11pm rather than 10pm at the beach house, and I drove from my wedding site to the beach house, it took 34 minutes.
  • Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

It sounds like your timeline doesn't allow much room to travel in between, so I'd definitely go with the venue closer to your ceremony.

• M
    Dedicated June 2017
    Monica ·
    • Flag

I would recommend the closer one if possible. You never know what is going to happen to change your timeline. At our wedding, the skies opened and it began pouring as soon as our church ceremony was over. Even though the reception was only 15 minutes away, it took over 45 minutes for everyone to make it to the reception due to weather. We ended up on with only 3 hours for the reception instead of the 3.5 that we had envisioned, and it was a bit on the short side. In hindsight, I wished I had added a bit more wiggle room and planned to end our reception later. We underestimated how much our guests would want to party!

• Danielle K
    VIP June 2019
    Danielle K ·
    • Flag

WOW they are all so beautiful! If it was my decision, I would go with the closer venue because I think it would be odd to have guests begin dinner without you there.

Comment on this discussion