Eva
Dedicated September 2015

Starting to plan

Eva, on August 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM Posted in Planning 0 16
Saved Save

I am brand new to Wedding Wire and I am so excited. We got engaged July 24th, and I feel like it might be too soon to start planning. How long did everyone wait until they started planning everything?

16 Comments

• Finally mrs.jkr
    Master May 2020
    Finally mrs.jkr ·
    • Flag

Never too soon, I'm completely having my wedding finished with planning in about a month where all I have to do is the DIY projects! And I've been planning since this time last year (more bumping around ideas until I seriously started planning in December)

• AndixLyn
    Master June 2015
    AndixLyn ·
    • Flag

Its never too soon but look for timelines and take it step by step, they usually indicate 9-12 months. take a month or so to just enjoy being engaged!

• Courtney
    VIP January 2015
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

It is not too soon. Get ideas, go to bridal shows, etc. Congrats!

• Eva
    Dedicated September 2015
    Eva ·
    • Flag

Oh that's good to hear that it's never too soon to plan. We have picked out a (tentative) date and now we are struggling on deciding where we want to have the wedding. I am new to all of this wedding planning business! That will be so perfect that you will be done planning with so much time to spare. It seems much less stressful that way.

• Eva
    Dedicated September 2015
    Eva ·
    • Flag

Oh Courtney, I have thought about that. There is one coming up in my area and I have a friend who is hopefully getting engaged soon, so we are going to go check it out.

• *Mrs_D*
    Master October 2014
    *Mrs_D* ·
    • Flag

You are only a little over a year out Smiley smile Definitely NOT too early to start planning!

• Sydney
    Expert May 2015
    Sydney ·
    • Flag

Welcome and congrats!!! Its never to early to start planning! I have about a year and a half left and I've been planning sense may. Smiley smile

• Eva
    Dedicated September 2015
    Eva ·
    • Flag

Future_Mrs_D I guess when you put it that way I really should start planning!

Sydney thank you!

• JanuaryWedding
    Super January 2016
    JanuaryWedding ·
    • Flag

Welcome to WW!! I've knocked around ideas, picked little things so I don't have to worry about it later. Started Pinterest boards and my wedding planner binder. Price comparing. My sister is getting married about a month before your date on here and has almost all the big things (venue, DJ, caterer, etc.) picked. Everyone is different! It's nice having the time because for the last month I've been busy with other things and haven't even thought of the wedding. But I'm not worried in the least because there is so much time. Definitely set up a budget and a savings plan if needed.

• Eva
    Dedicated September 2015
    Eva ·
    • Flag

Thank you!! We've thought about our budget, have decided roughly what we want to spend, and today we may have agreed on a venue. Once that's decided I think I will feel much better. I just really can't believe it's already been a month since we got engaged, time has flown by. I didn't want to get too crazy by planning everything in advance, but after the comments on here I'm thinking planning in advance may be the way to go, especially since it's only about a year away.

• adilou
    Expert June 2015
    adilou ·
    • Flag

Congrats and welcome!!! Smiley smile we started planning 13 months out - we are still about 9.5 months right now.. but early was definitely the way to go! especially since Sept is a really popular month. and the earlier you start, the more you can pace yourself so it doesn't get too overwhelming!! Smiley smile

congrats on the engagement!!!!

• Pancakes
    Master October 2015
    Pancakes ·
    • Flag

We got engaged 10/31/13 and we started looking online late 2013 and started looking in person early 2014. We booked all the big vendors in April 2014. We wanted first pick of the vendors and didn't have to choose another because another couple beat us there. So we planned early.

• Mrs. F-u-...
    Master December 2014
    Mrs. F-u-... ·
    • Flag

I booked our venue right after we got engaged and started planning from there, with a 9 month engagement.

• Z
    Master May 2012
    Zoe ·
    • Flag

*Please* stay focused on your goal-- getting married. No one, except perhaps Kate Middleton, can afford every little thing you can toss into a wedding, so decide what's important to you, be ready to spend your money there, and be ready to let other things go. Remember-- if you go before a JOP and serve your guests Costco pizza and soda, you're just as married as the couple that has a five course, sit down dinner.

Congrats and have fun!

• Maggie
    VIP July 2016
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

I got engaged in June and started planning immediately. The early bird gets the worm. If you wait you may not get the venue, photographer, etc that you want. Plus if your doing any DIY's get started as soon as you can. Waiting can stress you out to get them completed. You know you best so do what you are comfortable with. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

• amberrdoo
    Dedicated October 2014
    amberrdoo ·
    • Flag

Planning early is sooo much better! You get all the big stuff out of the way right away; especially venue, photographer, caterer and DJ. Those are the big ones that usually book early, especially if the venue is a popular wedding venue. Also, off subject, but I highly recommend going with vendors that are recommended by your venue. They are much more reliable in knowing the venue and there is a reason they are on the preferred list!

Anyway, I'm glad we got all the big stuff out of the way. That way, if something comes up last minute that was forgotten or just a last minute hiccup you have time to concentrate on that instead of having all the other stuff to take care of as well. We were crossing stuff off the 2 month list about 6 months before.

Good luck and congratulations!!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics