Araceli
Dedicated March 2018

Spain Honeymoon!

Araceli, on August 7, 2017 at 10:06 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 33
Saved Save

My FH and I were referred to a very reputable travel agent. And we just got our quote back for a 9 day honeymoon to Spain from Miami in April with tours and flights and accommodations to 4-5* hotels. She quoted us for just a little over $8000. We of course have no idea if this is a reasonable price or not. We have no issue paying the amount, but we also don't want to pay for something that could potentially be cheaper. I'm not saying they're scamming us, I just want ideas or thoughts on this. Have any of you traveled to Spain and find this a fair deal?

33 Comments

• Abigail
    Beginner March 2018
    Abigail ·

Hi Araceli, I have been in different parts of Spain and for waaaaay cheaper, for a longer period of time. Spain can offer a lot of bang for your buck. But then again, it all depends where in Spain you will be staying.

• Araceli
    Dedicated March 2018
    Araceli ·

Hi Christy. We are flying straight from Miami to Barcelona. And there's gonna be about 2-3 train rides to different cities in Spain. We're doing Barcelona>Madrid>Seville>Granada. We think this is somewhat reasonable too but of course wanted to see if some fellow brides or to-be brides had a different experience. What was your favorite part??

• Araceli
    Dedicated March 2018
    Araceli ·

Abigail - waaayyy cheaper?? Dang girl lol how did you do it? Did you do a backpacking tour thing on your own?

• A&L
    Master April 2017
    A&L ·

We went island hopping in Greece and didn't spent that much.

Maybe try getting another quote from another agency?

• Melissa
    Super June 2018
    Melissa ·

Following- we are thinking about Spain

• Stephannie
    Super December 2017
    Stephannie ·

I just booked my flights for Barcelona - for 2 weeks and our flights are $900.00 total round trip for the both of us. We will be flying out of Toronto. If yours is in April, your flights should be around the same price as mine (We are going 05/23/18-06/06/2018 -- right before tourism season). I honestly do not see us spending 8k in 2 weeks but we have not planned anything else other than the flights. I do know that flights from Barca to Madrid are around $48.00 (yes I researched this as we also will be going to several cities). We will be doing that after the wedding.

I would look more into the costs of things. It is not tourism season in April and should reflect that in the price. With the exchange rate being $1.00 to .85 Euro, I do not think this is a fair price and I think 8k for 9 days is a little excessive.

• Rachel
    Super May 2018
    Rachel ·

It depends what all is included in that price (food, drinks, which tours..) but for the most part, you can do Spain waaayyyy cheaper. Flying should be your biggest expense. Spain is a tourist economy for the most part, so even cheap places for accommodation and restaurants are going to give you pretty good quality (especially food!).

I have been to Spain multiple times (FH is from Spain), and we never spent more than $1000 for both of us for two weeks (minus airfare). This is including food, traveling around Spain and doing some neat things (Alhambra, skiing in the sierra nevada, horseback riding)

• bitbit
    Expert September 2017
    bitbit ·

We did two weeks in Paris & Spain last September for way less than that. Flights from city to city in Spain are super cheap and a lot quicker than the train. What all is included in the $8,000?

• Maria
    VIP March 2016
    Maria ·

I think that's expensive but then 4/5* in the cities could be expensive. It is off season when you are traveling though. We stayed in a 4* amazing hotel for €160 a night for a luxury suite bnb with a very private jacuzzi on the balcony over looking the bay of Napoli in sorento Italy. Also trains shouldn't be that expensive. Do you have the names of the hotels? If you do look them up and check out thier prices on thier sites, along with the price of your flights. It might be cheaper! Our travel agents quoted us €1000 more for the same flights, hotel with a lesser room. Perhaps you did get a good deal but from someone who lives in Europe I would find it hard to spend that much on hotels for 9 nights in Spain. Your flights can't that much, $700-800 each return perhaps that would be normal. I'm sure insurance is included with the travel agent but that is not expensive either.

• N
    Devoted October 2017
    Nats ·

This seems kind of high, not that it's necessarily a rip off but you must be staying in some super fancy places. I haven't gone to Spain in a while, but we recently did 2 weeks in France for ~$4k for the both of us (Paris, Provence, and Nice, including 2 long distance train rides and a rental car).

Edit: We flew through Iceland and spent a couple of days there as well, which helped with the airfare. This was all in May

• Maria
    VIP March 2016
    Maria ·

Also down around Alicante and Murcia is really lovely, it's on the southern coast

• Araceli
    Dedicated March 2018
    Araceli ·

@Christy - oh my gosh I love paella ! and I definitely need a lot of restaurant recommendations. I'm a foodie and i love eating new dishes from diff places lol. And that is a great tip actually. I'm pretty sure we can probably do this trip for cheaper its just a matter of researching and I honestly don't know how much energy or patience I have left in me with all this wedding planning. The person is quoting us land travel, air travel, private tours, 5 star hotels and transportation to all 4 different cities in Spain. So maybe their price is somewhat reasonable for that, but I will keep hunting around. And now I know that it CAN be done for cheaper.

• lkg72
    Devoted July 2018
    lkg72 ·

Go to Taberna el Sur in Madrid! So yummy! Also, if you plan on going to Tickets in Barcelona book well in advance.

• Araceli
    Dedicated March 2018
    Araceli ·

@Rachel oh wow that's good. Where would you guys stay at ?

• Rachel
    Super May 2018
    Rachel ·

Which cities? That will also make a difference price wise.

But yes, do a cost comparison of time spent planning your own trip versus taking a trip without any of the hassle. That may be worth the money right there, if you don't love planning trips.

ETA: We stayed a moderately priced hotel and hostels. When I backpacked through Europe, I stayed at the cheapest hostels I could find (not with FH at the time), and I loved those more than any hotel I've stayed at. Hostels in Europe are wonderful, have character, and great way to meet new people and try new things. And you can get private rooms, like FH and I did. It's not always sharing bunks with a stranger lol. But that may not be what you are looking for on your honeymoon. It really depends on your personality

• Maria
    VIP March 2016
    Maria ·

Generally the tours are cheaper to book when you are there. When you arrive the hotel would be able to do that for you are point you in the best place to book them.

• Araceli
    Dedicated March 2018
    Araceli ·

@bitbit the $8000 includes land travel, air travel, private tours, 4-5* hotel accommodations. Flying into Barcelona then going to Madrid - Seville - Granada

• Rachel
    Super May 2018
    Rachel ·

If you don't take the tour from the travel agent, I would suggest flying into Madrid (generally cheaper tickets), train to Seville-Granada-Barcelona-Madrid. If possible, you could rent a car and drive the southern cost Seville to Granada and stop in one night in one of the small towns. It would be worth it!!

• Araceli
    Dedicated March 2018
    Araceli ·

@Rachel lol yea Idk if someone will want to share rooms with us on our Honeymoon either haha jk. But yea any other time I would definitely be the kind to just hop from hostel to hostel and experience the whole backpacking touristy feel, but we're trying to make it a little more relaxing and nice since it is a honeymoon. But I am getting the feel that what I was quoted can definitely be done for cheaper.

Ps: if you have any recommendations to restaurants in Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, or Granada that would be lovely!

• WHO? Mrs. Jones
    VIP December 2016
    WHO? Mrs. Jones ·

I planned my entire honeymoon to Barcelona, Spain and Catalunya, Spain for 2 weeks. It was about $4k total. We rented a car the entire time and used airbnb. $8k sounds high to me, but we didn't purchase tours or anything like that either. We were mostly rock climbing.

Comment on this discussion