FutureMrsF
Dedicated September 2013

South Africa honeymoon?

FutureMrsF, on January 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 14
Saved Save

Has anyone done a South Africa (Capetown) honeymoon? We really want to go however we need to be on a somewhat tight budget. People keep recommending the Cape Grace hotel to me but it's almost $450 a night! Looking for something MUCH MUCH cheaper. Any suggestions? Is it crazy to think I may find a decent hotel there for $150-$175 a night? If you have suggestions for anything else there, please let me know! (Restaurants, adventures, etc).

I feel like I may have to just scrap the whole idea. A travel agent told me there was no way I could do this under my budget. I hope I can work this out.

Thanks!

14 Comments

• Amy
    Devoted May 2013
    Amy ·

I adore South Africa. With so many cities and countries left to see in the world, there are only two cities I consider returning to multiple times: Paris and Cape Town. South Africa isn't really a tight-budget trip, but it depends on what your definition is of "tight budget." :-)

I traveled across Southern Africa last year for about a month. Cape Town (and SA in general) is incredible! There's so much amazing history, and the food and the people are fabulous! I was in Cape Town solo and stayed at the Commodore near the waterfront, which was great & pretty affordable. I found relatively low airfare on Emirates, which let me fly directly to Cape Town and also gave me an opportunity to spend a couple days in Dubai on the way home.

After Cape Town, FI met up with me in Jo'burg and we did a package through Peregrine called Colours of Africa. Every detail was perfect.

• Amy
    Devoted May 2013
    Amy ·

If you do go, definitely go to Robben Island, but also wander around the neighborhoods, especially Bo-Kaap (and have Cape Malay food there--the malva pudding is amazing) and District Six.The other thing you shouldn't miss is a visit to the townships. There are several organizations that do them--just check with your hotel. The hop-on, hop-off bus is good, but you really only need a one-day pass. The Jewish Museum is also interesting. If you're there on a Saturday, try to get out to the Neighborgoods Market in Woodstock--awesome biltong! I also recommend a day trip down to the Cape. I went specifically to go cage diving with the great whites, so if you're into that, you should do that, too. I also visited Parliament, which I thought was very cool but I work in government and policy. :-)

As far as Joburg, the Aparteid Museum is a can't miss. Other than that, I don't have much to say about the city. You could easily skip it as there are so many other great places to see in the country.

• Amy
    Devoted May 2013
    Amy ·

If you have a chance to get out to the other side of the country, I recommend seeing the Blyde River Canyon area--beautiful. And you really shouldn't go to SA without doing a safari. We went to Timbavati, which was awesome!

Happy to answer other questions. Not sure if I'm allowed to post it, but if it goes through here's my travel blog about my trip: http://amybacharach.blogspot.com/

• Claire Saunders
    Just Said Yes July 2008
    Claire Saunders ·

Cape Town is the city to be seen in. Its cosmopolitan lifestyle makes it a population destination. Gorgeous beaches and iconic mountains are the backdrop of this wonderful city. It is also famous for its natural beauty and is recognised as one of the floral kingdoms of the world. And it is definetely achievable within your budget!!!!

Even better value is in the winelands where there are stunning manor houses and guest houses which is within easy reach of Cape Town. The region is home to South Africa's most lovely vineyards established in the historic villages of Somerset West, Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, Paarl, Wellington and Tulbagh. As a World Heritage site it has preserved its past to be seen in all its glory. It mentions above that vendors are allowed. www.elegantplaces.co.za

• WWLeeor
    VIP June 2020
    WWLeeor ·

I have a friend from Cape Town and she always raves about how beautiful it is and how amazing the weather is, that would be an amazing honeymoon spot!

• Julia Elzie
    October 2019
    Julia Elzie ·

South Africa is definitely a hip, trendy destination right now, but with good reason! There is tremendous cosmopolitan experiences in Cape Town and JO'burg, yet there are amazing experiences with wildlife, culture, food and wine. While it will never be a budget trip, there are ways to find good value and prices for a trip of a lifetime. If your travel dates can be flexible to travel in the in-between season, that helps, for instance. The good news is that if you can be somewhat flexible, you have options!

Have a great day!

Julia Elzie

Independent Vacation Planner

MEI-Travel

http://www.mei-travel.com

E-mail: juliae@mei-travel.com

• Glenda
    Master October 2013
    Glenda ·

I am DYING to go to South Africa!

I thought that this looked like an interesting honeymoon

option:

http://www.moonrings.com/honeymoon-destinations/south-africa/essential-south-africa-mozambique-beaches.htm

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·

Would you consider a B&B? It might be a less expensive option. While they're my accommodation of choice in the US, I have not stayed in any overseas.

• Tiffany
    VIP July 2013
    Tiffany ·

I went to South Africa and we stayed in bed and breakfasts and at a monastery for a couple of nights (went on a religious pilgrimage). We only stayed in a hotel for a couple of nights. It is really beautiful and I think you will enjoy it but you have to be careful where you stay because there are a lot of places that aren't safe.

• FutureMrsF
    Dedicated September 2013
    FutureMrsF ·

Thank you everyone for the info! Sorry for the late response. It's been a crazy week and I haven't had time to be on the boards. Amy, I will definitely check out your blog. Paris & Tiffany, we're not really interested in B&Bs but I will look into them. Who knows, we could end up liking them!

• Claire Saunders Peterson
    October 2019
    Claire Saunders Peterson ·

Pleasure FutureMrsF. Tweet @elegant_places. I can easily work with your budget.

• My Future Husband
    Just Said Yes February 2041
    My Future Husband ·
    Great game
  • Bethany
    Just Said Yes October 2019
    Bethany ·

I'm going in October and am staying at the Victoria & Albert Hotel. It's in the waterfront area (right near the Cape Grace Hotel) and about half the cost.

• Heather
    Savvy September 2019
    Heather ·

Have you checked to see if Airbnb operates there? Or, VRBO? Or, HomeAway?

Comment on this discussion