Sara
Just Said Yes November 2018

Social Security Card

Sara, on November 20, 2018 at 7:31 AM Posted in Married Life 0 15
Saved Save
I want to mail in my application to change my last name on my ss card. I know I need to send my certified marriage license but do I also need to mail my passport as proof of identity?

15 Comments

• Happily Ever Mrs. H
    VIP October 2018
    Happily Ever Mrs. H ·
    • Flag

Hmmm, not sure about that. Do you have a local office? I didn't want to risk mailing anything, so I went in person and it literally only took 8 minutes of waiting in the lobby and 2 mins at the desk. They only asked for my marriage license and my driver's license.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

Check the ss site for your state. It may vary by state.

• Melissa
    VIP October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

I'm in Illinois. For us, it was a YES. You either had to mail in your drivers license or passport for proof of identity/residency. Since I don't trust the USPS one single bit, I definitely wasn't willing - went right when our SS office opened (downtown Chicago, mind you) and was in and out in less than 30 minutes. The card took about a week to arrive (got it yesterday) but it was definitely worth NOT mailing in stuff!

But I agree that checking with the SS office for your state to find out what the deal is.

• Rebecca
    Master October 2025
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

Hey Sara!

This is a tough question! All of my research is saying "mail in your application and documents" but I'm not sure if that means you have to mail in a passport?! Are you maybe able to head to a local office? Or are you able to look up the requirements by state?

• Sarah
    Master June 2016
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    Https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

You need to send in the actual ID. They don’t take photocopies. I would honestly try to go in person. I would hate to have that many important pieces of my personal information out there if it got lost in the mail. Like Melissa, I was in and out in under 30 minutes. They also gave me a letter (I live in MA) so I could go right to the DMV and change my name there too instead of waiting for the card to come in.
  • L
    Super August 2018
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I went into the office. Super easy process. Had my ID and my marriage certificate. It took all of 5 mins. Had to wait about 20 mins before being called. I don’t trust sending any of those necessary documents in the mail.
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag
    I agree with the other PPs that it's better to just go in person to do it. They need the original documents so don't risk losing them in the mail. I made an appointment and was in and out in 10 minutes and got my new card the next week.
  • Tammy
    Super October 2018
    Tammy ·
    • Flag

I have a friend that works at a SSA office (I still haven't changed mine) I said I was mailing it in and she about came thru my text message hahaha!!! She said she would absolutely not recommend doing that.

• Ashley
    Beginner July 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

You only need to fill out the application, certified copy of your marriage license, and you ss card. This will take up to 2 weeks or so for them to process. You will get back your new ss card and your marriage license back. You do not need to send your passport. You have to look into which state you are in and it lists what you need to do. I am in the state on NJ.

• Karla
    Beginner December 2017
    Karla ·
    • Flag
    I went to the office fill out the form and show my marriage license.
  • Mrs.Sanok
    VIP September 2018
    Mrs.Sanok ·
    • Flag

I did not think you could mail it in. I thought you had to go in person.

I went in person and it was so easy. I was in and out in no time. Plus my card came to me in the mail in a week. Putting everything through the mail seems a little to risky.

• Gipperkm
    Super September 2018
    Gipperkm ·
    • Flag

I would never mail my passport. I DO NOT trust the US postal service...too many bad things have happened to my mail. I would check online to see what the process is for you state. I had to do this in person.

• Sara
    Just Said Yes November 2018
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    Went ahead and mailed everything on 11/20 because the one time I tried to do it in person there were at least 50 people already at the office.

Got my documents back safely today and should get my card in 1-2 weeks!
  • Angela
    Dedicated September 2018
    Angela ·
    • Flag

I went into an office and it took about 30 minutes with wait time. You'll need your driver's license in order to change your name on your driver's license, which can usually be done 48 hours after you apply for your SSC. I wouldn't mail any of these documents, but that's just me.

• Stephanie
    Dedicated November 2019
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    I went in person. I took my marriage certificate, birth certificate and drivers license. No way I would mail those things in. They needs all original documentation.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics