P
Beginner September 2015

So, my venue rental time is shorter than expected..

Private User, on October 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM Posted in Planning 0 17
Saved Save

Hi there,

So this is probably the typical panicked bride response to a situation but I figured you all might be able to give me a little perspective!

Our venue told us our wedding time was from 10-4:30, but then later elaborated and turns out it's only until 3:30.

I’m nervous because I ALREADY felt like we were on a big time crunch. We are doing our ceremony/reception at one place. I am spending nuts money and have 90% out of town guests. I worry after all formalities we won't have time to enjoy ourselves/participate in activities and our guests won't be satisfied with the amount of time left to actually "party". I know it's hard to swallow the huge expense for one day, and I worry I might regret it if my wedding ends up "rushed". Though, I haven't been to enough to know if 5.5 hours (for ceremony, formalities/pics, and reception) would be considered rushed. Any insight would be so helpful! I'm starting to debate other venues, but that'd be such a mess.

17 Comments

• Pancakes
    Master October 2015
    Pancakes ·
    • Flag

Our venue is 5.5 hours, 0.5 hours for cleanup at the end (they set up the place for you to the way you want at no extra charge) but if you have the ceremony there like we are you get an additional hour, regardless of how long the ceremony is. So if we have a 20 minute ceremony, we will have 40 minutes for a cocktail hour and then our 5.5 hour reception time starts, giving us a total of 6.5 hours. I can't tell you if 5.5 hours is too short, just letting you know what we did. Do you know if you can buy extra hours from the venue? Most places, you can. Especially since you are having your ceremony there.

• Northern MN
    Master November 2014
    Northern MN ·
    • Flag

Anyway they would extend it for you? Or could you after party somewhere?

• P
    Super November 2014
    Private User ·
    • Flag

Can you pay to add an hour?

• Munashi
    Super October 2014
    Munashi ·
    • Flag

Yes, inquire about paying to add more time! It should be possible, I would think...

• Annie
    Dedicated November 2014
    Annie ·
    • Flag

Does it indicate the rental time on your venue contract? It's quite a big misunderstanding.

Just make sure it's not the venue's murky way of squeezing you out early so they can fit another evening party in cos they found a new taker for that hour!

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

If you want to add the time, ask. My venue is being rented from 7pm to midnight so that will include ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. It's fine for me! lol

• Uber Dami
    Master October 2015
    Uber Dami ·
    • Flag

Plan an after party somewhere...that way you can still celebrate

• Mrs. A & J
    Master December 2014
    Mrs. A & J ·
    • Flag

I have 4 hours for a ceremony and reception. We're doing our pictures beforehand to save time! And also planning to party after.

• Staci
    Master September 2014
    Staci ·
    • Flag

Ours was 5.5 hours and it was enough time. Especially since yours is a daytime wedding, I think that will cover everything!

But if it is really important to you, you might be able to pay for extra time.

• jewles322
    Master March 2015
    jewles322 ·
    • Flag

Our ceremony/reception is 4-10pm, so if my elementary math skills serve me right thats 6 hours (hour for ceremony, hour for cocktails/photos, 4 hours of party time).

I would double check your contract, thats why you have it!

If you want more time, party back at the hotel (if you have out of town guests, I'm assuming you blocked rooms at a hotel), or go to a nearby restaurant and something casual...extra hours can be costly (don't forget you would have to pay the DJ extra as well).

You can also have a breakfast/brunch with your out of towner's the next day and open some of your gifts with them.

Master October 2013
    .... ·
    • Flag

5.5 hours is pretty standard. Ours was 5 hours (including ceremony) and we had plenty of time. I mean, I could have kept dancing all night, but, it was plenty! Just make sure you keep yourself on time and everything moving along - our DOC was amazing, I want her to coordinate my entire life - and it went perfectly.

We could pay for extra hours if we wanted, but we chose not to.

• Olivia
    Dedicated November 2014
    Olivia ·
    • Flag

I only have a 3 hour long reception. The ceremony is at another venue just before. I think it is a bit short but it's $3000 for only another hour. So after party on Bourbon St!!!

• Monica SC
    Master October 2015
    Monica SC ·
    • Flag

Why is the time now an hour shorter than originally thought? Read the fine print on your contract. I agree with most people that you should be able to pay for an extra hour UNLESS there is another event following yours. I honestly think you have plenty of time. Smiley smile

• Snarky
    Master September 2014
    Snarky ·
    • Flag

Ours was 5.5 too and it was fine. If you're not responsible for cleanup it should be fine. You could ask about renting another hour...

• Elle
    Master March 2015
    Elle ·
    • Flag

Mine is only 5.5, with the ceromony and reception in the same place. After having been to my cousins wedding was 5.5 just for the reception and i was made to stay till the very end. I was exhausted by the end, and rather irritated that i didnt have a choice in going home early. Trust me. 5.5 is plenty of time to do both, and your guests will thank you for not partying them into the ground. For those with longer stamina, i would suggest an after party. Smiley smile

• P
    Beginner September 2015
    Private User ·
    • Flag

The other wedding start 1.5 hrs after mine, but even before that was booked it's not their policy to do extra time, it was something I asked from the start. The place is rented from 10-4:30 which is what the contract said. What it did NOT say though is that the place has to be totally packed uo by 4:30 and my vendors all need an hour, so we need to end the wedding an hour earlier to make sure everyone is gone/we and vendors are packed by 4:30 on the dot. That was something they neglected to explain, but it's not a breach of contract or anything. Our biggest problem is the wedding is in the middle of nowhere, the nearest after party location would be 40 mins away and everyone is already traveling from out of state. I'm just frustrated and was looking to get a better picture of if this hr diff is going to change how much I get to enjoy my wedding. I was hoping for some time above the formalties, but I don't feel like it's gonna happen.

• Monica SC
    Master October 2015
    Monica SC ·
    • Flag

Well that sucks, but it is what it is. I'm sure your reception will be great. Sorry you found out about this after the fact. Smiley sad

Comment on this discussion