HappilyEverAfter329
Super April 2018

So many “no” responses!

HappilyEverAfter329, on March 29, 2018 at 12:53 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 14
Saved Save
My final counts are due today, which is fine. We signed a contract for 95 people, but it looks like we will only end up with about 78. I‘m a little
bummed but I know there is not much we can do. How do I handle telling my venue this? Do you think it’s going to cause an issue?

14 Comments

• Alysia
    Devoted September 2018
    Alysia ·
    • Flag

The only issue likely will be that you'll still have to pay for 95.

• Munchkin9218
    Master September 2018
    Munchkin9218 ·
    • Flag

Did they outline any kind of penalty in the contract about when you come in under the guarantee? WE had to guarantee a minimum number of guests at our venue and if we were under we had to play half the pay of each person under that minimum. I would look through your contract and see what it says coming in under the estimate. Some places let you upgrade the food or bar to make up the difference.

Honestly - when you go in for the final meeting you just tell them the final count.

• Going to the chapel
    Master July 2017
    Going to the chapel ·
    • Flag

Are you required to pay for 95 people? If so, see if the venue will agree to upgrade food or drink rather than charging for people who aren't there. Many venues will do this because they are interested in a minimum amount of revenue, no matter how they get it.

• MrsRies&Love
    VIP May 2018
    MrsRies&Love ·
    • Flag

In our catering contract it states, "revenue must total at least $xxxx". I would comb through your contract and check to see if you're required to pay for all 95. I know numbers from the time of contract to the actual numbers always vary, but each caterer handles it different.

Also - 78 is a great amount! I think you'll find that it's a very comfortable, but still large, crowd.

• HappilyEverAfter329
    Super April 2018
    HappilyEverAfter329 ·
    • Flag
    Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I’m going to look over my contract and see what it states before sending my counts. Smiley smile
  • Miaaa
    Super January 2018
    Miaaa ·
    • Flag

Agree with others- usually its a $ minimum, not really a person minimum (or that's what they base the person minimum on). See if you can have upgrades instead Smiley smile

• Elizabeth
    Expert April 2018
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I'm in a similar situation with the numbers. We have a minimum $$, but we're just going to get extra appetizers to make it up to that limit.

• M
    Super October 2018
    MaltedMilk ·
    • Flag

82% is not bad. I agree with others to see if you can up the appetizers or something to make the minimum in another way.

• FME
    Master March 2018
    FME ·
    • Flag

That's not bad at all. We invited 100 and got 74 Yes's. I was actually happy. I would read your contract to see if there's anything about a minimum. We didn't have a minimum so we just adjusted the counts with the caterer before we paid the final balance and there was no issues at all.

• Kristina
    Master August 2018
    Kristina ·
    • Flag

We have a minimum of $100 for our venue, but we're inviting $180 people so I really don't think that'll be a problem.

Honestly, in my case, I'm hoping for some "No" responses because the room will be a bit crowded with $180 and it'll save us some costs since we're literally paying per person.

Worst case scenario, you still have to pay for $95. As long as you meet the minimum, if there is one, then you should be okay.

And I agree with other PPs, see if you can have the venue put that money somewhere else.

• Kristina
    Master August 2018
    Kristina ·
    • Flag

NO Idea why I put dollar signs in front of the guest count...it's been a long day at work guys lol

• Heather
    Super June 2018
    Heather ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Lol I was wondering!! Thought I was out of the loop on some wedding lingo Smiley xd

• Kristina
    Master August 2018
    Kristina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I have no idea what I was thinking! Lol I'm such a space case today.

• SpringBride2018
    Super April 2018
    SpringBride2018 ·
    • Flag

We invited 82 and only 55 are coming.

You will likely have to pay for all the 95 guests. We didn't have to lock in our numbers yet, so I guess we got lucky there.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics