90bkeen
Beginner October 2019

Small affordable Venue

90bkeen, on June 26, 2018 at 1:57 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 20
Saved Save
Do these exist!? My guest list is at maybe 30 people and we are still making amends as needed. We are also spending our own money to have a wedding. I have nothing against the courthouse but I would like to TRY to have an actual wedding. Looking for a venue that is thousands of dollars. Help!? Located in Frederick County, MD for reception and ceremony

20 Comments

• Going to the chapel
    Master July 2017
    Going to the chapel ·

What about a local restaurant that has a private room that can be rented? They might even have a patio that could be used for the ceremony and/or cocktail hour.

• DC Wife 10.27.18
    Master October 2018
    DC Wife 10.27.18 ·

Check this link. Local parks and recs. https://www.recreater.com/

• M
    Dedicated September 2019
    Maria ·
    A lot of venues have elopement packages depending on the venue usually they are for 25-40 people and much cheapee.
  • M
    Super October 2018
    Michelle ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I second this. A lot of restaurants have affordable private rooms.. I am having my reception at a restaurant.
  • S
    Devoted September 2018
    Sarah ·
    Could always go traditional and use a church and fellow ship Hall for reception that's what I'm doing and only have 25-30 attending
  • A
    Dedicated June 2019
    Abby ·
    We are getting married under a gazebo near our Canal Park. A judge will officiate our wedding. We are on a limited budget like you. Do you have any place near you like that?
  • 90bkeen
    Beginner October 2019
    90bkeen ·
    View Quoted Comment
    We have quite few state parks and what not. I’ve been looking at them. We have one place called the tea room. I’m probably gonna look into this one but I figured I would brainstorm with others and see the suggestions.
  • Gen
    Rockstar June 2019
    Gen ·
    Try renting a room in a restaurant!
  • char
    Expert September 2018
    char ·

I don't know your area, but we are using the event center at a local park. Much less expensive than a traditional venue. I considered a picnic shelter/pavilion, but FH wanted something with actual walls in case of poor weather and we didn't want to deal with tent rentals.

• Lola
    Devoted June 2019
    Lola ·

We are having about 65 people, and have rented out a private banquet room in a restaurant. It has a bar, wood floors for dancing, and 60" rounds, so it is very similar to a reception hall. Since it is a restaurant there is no rental fee, just a food and beverage minimum. We are doing the ceremony in a small concert house, which costs $350 for a four hour rental. I would definitely try checking out some local restaurants with private rooms, or maybe some public parks that have pretty pavilions. That was our next option if the restaurant fell through. We are paying for the wedding ourselves as well. It is NOT easy, so I feel your pain! Good Luck!

• OrangeCrush
    Super October 2017
    OrangeCrush ·

Two things: Courthouse weddings are actual weddings. The second thing is: Look into restaurants for a reception. We hosted 50 people and as long as the food and drink minimum ($750, easy to do) was met the room was free. Look into parks for a ceremony site.

Churches are awesome but they are not the cheapest option plus many require you to be a member.

Good luck!! Sticker shock is tough for everyone, lol.

• FutureMrsD
    Rockstar July 2019
    FutureMrsD ·

What budget are you hoping to stay under for venue? I'd check out local parks or national parks.

• Meaghan
    VIP November 2017
    Meaghan ·

For mine (20 people) I rented a room in a restaurant and it worked beautifully. I highly recommend that route!

• 90bkeen
    Beginner October 2019
    90bkeen ·
    View Quoted Comment

I have nothing against the courthouse wedding. This was going to be our original route, but I would like to try to have/plan my own wedding because I have family/friends I would like to invite and at our courthouse you can't have very many people there. I was trying to find a venue I could host both ceremony and reception at.

• 90bkeen
    Beginner October 2019
    90bkeen ·
    View Quoted Comment

I don't really have a set in stone budget yet, but I know I can't afford $3,000. We've got two kids that I could put that money towards. I've been looking at our state parks in our area.

• FutureMrsColón
    Super September 2019
    FutureMrsColón ·
    Many venues offer elopement packages for smaller groups!

• M.W.
    VIP June 2019
    M.W. ·

Try your local fire hall, VFW or Legion. They are very affordable. My fiancé and I are having our reception at our local fire hall and it's the best decision we ever made. We can decorate to our liking and put our on twist on it.

• 90bkeen
    Beginner October 2019
    90bkeen ·
    Thank you everyone for your input. I’ve been taking them all into consideration ☺️ We MIGHT have found a place. I’m gonna do a little more research on it so we shall see!
  • Neffe
    Master July 2020
    Neffe ·
    View Quoted Comment

Hi 90bkeen!! How's your venue search coming along? Have you been able to find a venue yet? I would love to know!!

• 90bkeen
    Beginner October 2019
    90bkeen ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Still looking. My budget is extremely small so trying to find something that will fit in my budget, but also fits my style that I want.

Comment on this discussion