Blair
VIP September 2012

show me your boutonniere alternatives. flowerless wedding!

Blair, on May 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM Posted in Community Conversations

I am having a flowerless wedding. me and the girls will carry brooch bouquets and Im pretty sure I found my FMIL an amazing flower bracelet on etsy.

so what to do with the guys? I have 2 favorites right now: pinwheels and brooches. My inspirations are below. Im pretty sure i could make the pinwheels~anyone done it or know how?

the brooches are nice but are they too femine? I know i can get those for like $3 a piece

Money is an issue since I just booked my photo booth :-) damn groupon.

My colors are turquoise and black. Im pretty sure the boys will NOT be wearing turq vests and ties but will be in solid black. FH likes the idea of silver tie and vest for him not white

Share:

22 Comments

• Tyra
    Expert December 2012
    Tyra ·

I love the brooch and my FI checked it out and said it was cool too and didn't look too girly. We are not doing flowers. The guys are going to do pocket squares in wedding colors. Haven't figured out the bouquets yet. Where did you get your brooch bouquets or did you make them?

• Mrs. S™
    Master October 2011
    Mrs. S™ ·

What does your FH say :-)? My DH refused to wear anything but a pocket square.

• Blair
    VIP September 2012
    Blair ·

@tyra: im making them. its actually been a lot of fun but a lot of work. If i could do it over i would have ordered most of them from fabulousbrooch.com and just a few from ebay. But, my MOH convinced me to send an email out to all the women in my life asking them to go through their oold jewelry and see if they had anything they could part with. The reponse was amazing.

I think when all is said and done, all 4 bouquets will have cost me $250, not too bad, but not that great either. If you go enamel, its def pricey. I made the mistake of just buying a ton of enamel on ebay and it blew my budget. I may have to fill in with fake flowers. You can also have a brooch bridal shower.

I was orginally going to do clutches for the BM's but my FMIL got disapointed at that.

• Blair
    VIP September 2012
    Blair ·

@mrs s: FH is pretty easy to sway. Im going to discuss with him tonight. The problem is we are both quirky but bc he's only ever been to formal catholic weddings, he has no concept that they can fun and casual (sorry-no offense here)

he loves the idea of bringing in more fun, but thinks things are the norm and is afraid to rock the boat

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·

I say go with brooches for the guys. I think it will all flow together better. The pinwheels are cute, but may seem out of place.

• Blair
    VIP September 2012
    Blair ·

So here's a ribbon one.

thoughts?

• Karen & Rene
    VIP March 2012
    Karen & Rene ·

My guys wore wooden roses and bowling pins, since they are all bowlers!

• Kristen
    Master September 2012
    Kristen ·

I gotta be honest, I don't love the brooch on the guy's suit jacket...looks like grandma's sweater to me. But that's just my opinion, if your FH likes it, then go for it!

• Lee I.
    VIP October 2012
    Lee I. ·

I love the paper wind mill/fan thing! The brooch.. I'm going to have to agree with Kristen G, I don't love it, nor do I really love the ribbon. It looks too.. feminine maybe?

• Tyra
    Expert December 2012
    Tyra ·

I love the ribbon too. But if you guy are going for fun and casual the pinwheel is definitely that! I think you should just do what you love if your FH doesn't really have an opinion.

My FI likes his whimsy in small doses (he was much more of a traditionalist until we met lol) so I can understand the unsure partner. He said pocket square for his traditional side and robot tie pin for his whimsy; to keep it balanced.

Also, thanks for the tip.

• STB MRS. M!!
    Super September 2012
    STB MRS. M!! ·

I really like the ribbon!!

• Celia Milton
    May 2019
    Celia Milton ·

I don't love a brooch for a guy. http://rosenowfloral.com/frittsrosenow/index.html

• Mrs. S™
    Master October 2011
    Mrs. S™ ·

Honestly, I don't love a brooch for a guy either.

• D1
    Master October 2013
    D1 ·

What about a Lapel/stick pin or solid silver colored lion head (or something similiar that is a bit more masculine)?

Found an inexpensive on on etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/45181143/wide-leaf-design-stick-pin-silver-tone

• Laura
    Dedicated October 2013
    Laura ·

Handkerchiefs!

• Laura
    Dedicated October 2013
    Laura ·

Handkerchiefs!

• M.S.P.D
    Master August 2012
    M.S.P.D ·

Starfish!

• SarahAnn Lewis
    May 2019
    SarahAnn Lewis ·

Personally, I'd put your ribbon idea in turquoise UNDER the brooch - to match your colors and your bouquets.

• Blair
    VIP September 2012
    Blair ·

Well, I just talked to FH and I was completely blown away by his response. He liked the ribbon the best of the 3 but told me that he would like to wear a breast cancer pin to honor my mom; I lost her about a year before we met.

I was so touched by this that I almost started crying.

Gotta start shopping for breast cancer pins now

• Kristen
    Master September 2012
    Kristen ·

Aw, that is so sweet. Sounds like you found a good one @Blair!!

Comment on this discussion