We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Lacey
Just Said Yes July 2021

Short Cocktail hour- should we serve apps?

Lacey, on July 11, 2020 at 1:02 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 5
Saved Save

Still in the planning process of our timeline for our day....

I'm planning on having a short ceremony (30-45 minutes), then leaving with the bridal party to take pictures. Since the ceremony and venue are so close (like 10 minutes driving distance) I was planning on leaving an hour in between ceremony and reception. Just in case guest need to stop off anywhere. With that being said the reception starts at 5pm and we are having an open bar, but our venue said they will allow guest to come in at 4:30. So my question is, should i label this as "cocktail hour" on my invitations? If so, could we do without appetizers since it's only 30 minutes until the reception actually starts? Our venue never mentioned providing appetizers, but we will have a cookie table and a table of veggie and fruit trays that they can munch on before the party starts. I havent been to any wedding since I was a child so I'm not too sure if i'm doing enough for the guest. Thank you in advance!!!

5 Comments

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I think that sounds fun since you have a veggie and cookie trays
  • Jana
    Rockstar June 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    What you're serving is plenty.
  • Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah Online ·
    • Flag
    What you're serving sounds perfectly fine. Will they be allowed to get drinks of any kind during cocktail hour, like water and other stuff? I would be a little concerned about the hour gap though. Guests don't typically need to run an errand of some sort between the ceremony and reception. Is it an hour between ceremony end and 4:30 or do they only need to occupy themselves for a half hour before they can go into the reception venue?
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    If my FH and I had an hour in between a ceremony and reception time and only a 10 minute drive between the places to get there, we’d probably stop somewhere to get a quick bite to eat just to kill time in all honesty. I just can’t really think of any sort of errands we would need to run at that point. So with that being said, no I don’t think you’ll need to serve hors d’oeuvres at cocktail hour because I think people will probably just go somewhere to get a quick bite to kill time instead.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Maybe add just a bit more to the veggie & fruit tray, especially if you’re serving alcohol? Maybe crackers or bread with cheese?

A lot of people almost rush to the reception site (to get good parking? Hungry? Start drinking or socializing? I’m not quite sure! 😆 Be prepared for that.)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles