Miranda
Devoted October 2018

Second guessing my makeup

Miranda, on July 19, 2018 at 9:21 AM Posted in Hair and Makeup 0 37
Saved Save
So I had my makeup trial and it was the first time I’ve had airbrush makeup and I LOVED it. Now I’m second guessing for two reasons:
1: my FH didn’t seem to love it...in his defense I’m a mega tomboy I usually wear zero makeup..when we go out I throw on mascara and eyeliner... I just really wanted to go way different from my norm and definitely be “done up” for the wedding...but he seemed weirded out, he kept pointing at different parts of my face and saying “what’s that? It’s a lot” I kept trying to tell him they go heavy so it looks good in pictures but idk that he understood...
2: I am recently 30, I work outside, and the wrinkles around my eyes have definitely gotten prominent in the last few years. If I don’t smile I literally don’t have any lines but when I smile I have LOTS of lines. I sort of feel like the airbrush makeup made them more noticeable? Is that normal? The picture of me in the purple dress is how I look normally and the other two are with airbrush makeup...I think they are definitely more pronounced.

any advice or insights? I really want to look done up for that “wow” on my wedding day since people are used to seeing me looking like a barn rat covered in dirt. My hair will be an updo, I’m wearing a ball gown and a veil...but I also don’t want to scare FH and I don’t want small children to fall into the canyons around my eyes 😂😂

Second guessing my makeup 1

Second guessing my makeup 2

Second guessing my makeup 3

37 Comments

• Future Mrs. H
    Rockstar September 2019
    Future Mrs. H ·

I think your makeup looks beautiful and very natural! FH was probably just in a bit of shock - especially if you don't wear any makeup typically. I definitely don't think it's too much or too heavy by any means.

• Brianna
    Devoted April 2019
    Brianna ·
    I personally love it!! I’ve never don’t airbrushing either, but I think it looks awesome!! I don’t think it draws any attention to any wrinkles. I don’t wear makeup ever either and I also want the same effect so I can relate with you there!! It’s also your day and if you feel beautiful then FH will think you’re beautiful too. When he sees you that day no matter what he’s going to love it!
  • C
    Dedicated June 2019
    CA Bride ·
    I think you have beautiful skin naturally. I do think the airbrush looks a little cakey near your eyes. Is your skin dry in those spots? Traditional, hand applied foundation might be better for your skin. Airbrush isn’t for everyone, I hear!
  • Kelly
    Legend October 2022
    Kelly ·

Hi Miranda! I love this look!!! I think it's a perfect amount of makeup for someone who doesn't normally wear it, your eyes are gorgeous!! My only suggestion would be to maybe opt for liquid foundation instead of airbrush? You could even ask for none since you have great skin! I do think airbrush looks gorgeous in pictures, but it's all up to how you feel, I want you to feel like a queen on your day!

• Chris
    Master February 2022
    Chris ·

Miranda, this is a stunning look!

If you want to go all out and get dolled up for your wedding, go for it! I purposely skipped the text in your post to see photos first, and thought nothing of the lines until I went back and read!

I really, truly love the makeup and if it helps at all- you earned those smile lines, and they just add to the charm of your smile! It's hard putting that into words on the internet, but you are beautiful!

• Alicia
    Beginner November 2019
    Alicia ·
    I think it is important to feel confident on your day. FH May think it is a little much because he isn’t used to you being done up but I think once he sees the whole picture (dress hair makeup) he will think you are stunning!
  • Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen ·
    I think it looks gorgeous but I do see what you mean around the eyes. It’s not so much that you have “wrinkles” it’s just that the makeup looks a bit heavy there and is creasing.

Can you just have your makeup artist go a little less thick in that area?
  • SB
    VIP March 2019
    SB ·

I think you look absolutely beautiful! The makeup looks very natural for someone who doesn't usually wear much. Trust me, when I got my makeup done for e-pics, the first comment my FH made was "I like the way you do your makeup better." Well of course, that's how he always sees me, so he isn't used to the 'glam' if you will. It looked AMAZING in our pictures though.

Maybe have your MUA go a little lighter around the eyes if you think it highlights lines. That's how I felt about my smile lines and will definitely have mine tone it down in that area.

• Anne
    Master April 2017
    Anne ·

I think it looks perfect!! My husband said the same thing when he saw my makeup after a trial, but he loved it on the wedding day. He didn't feel like it was too much with the dress/veil and everything else.

• Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·

I was in my best friends wedding last year and when FH saw me after makeup & hair he was like what happened? He honestly prefers me with the bare minimum makeup that I wear daily - foundation, eye liner sometimes and mascara. He begged me for our wedding to keep it super simple. I am sure that is what happened with your FH. I think you should leave it, it looks beautiful and you will be happy when you get your photos back!

• FutureMrsD
    Legend July 2019
    FutureMrsD ·

I don't like airbrush makeup for that exact reason! It clung to any lines & dry skin, and scarring.

• Mirada
    Devoted November 2018
    Mirada ·

Hello Miranda!!! I love your makeup I think it looks beautiful its definitely not overly done or caked up i think you should move forward with your makeup plans!!!

• P
    Expert June 2018
    Pina ·
    Your eyes are bright, natural and beautiful! I agree that the airbrush seems to be creasing and clinging to your skin. I would ask about liquid foundation instead. That worked better for my skin and still looked great in photos.
  • arorapower2018
    Dedicated September 2018
    arorapower2018 ·

The thing is in photographs, this makeup will stand out- your face and lashes wont look washed out. I tried on 3 types of lashes after the large ones, and ended up going back to them b/c in photos just on the iphone, they looked the best.

and you can always ask for a lighter airbrush application - I had two trials (2 weddings) and the second one looked so much better with a lighter application.

• C
    Super August 2017
    C ·
    Your makeup is amazing! Very natural when it comes to a full face of makeup. It will look way different with your dress than with a T-shirt. You could have them go a little lighter on the eyeliner on the lower lash line for him but other than that I think it’s perfect!
  • AshleyR
    Master October 2016
    AshleyR ·
    You look beautiful and very natural! I do see it’s settled in to the lines around your eyes and a bit cakey in that area too, I wonder if traditional foundation would work better for you instead of airbrush? Can you do a second trial to compare? If not maybe talk to the Mua about your concerns and see what she suggests. I did a trial with airbrush and thought it was ok, then I did a trial with regular makeup and I loved it so much more. Airbrush doesn’t work for everyone.
  • Miranda
    Devoted October 2018
    Miranda ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! -he definitely was shocked to see me like that!
  • Miranda
    Devoted October 2018
    Miranda ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!!
  • Miranda
    Devoted October 2018
    Miranda ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! I’ll definitely talk to my Mua about regular foundation
  • Miranda
    Devoted October 2018
    Miranda ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Definitely going to talk to my makeup artist about liquid!!

Comment on this discussion