Brooke H.
Beginner December 2017

Seating Chart Advice

Brooke H., on Dec 7, 2017 at 3:10 PM Posted in Planning

Doing my seating chart right now. This is a lot more complicated than I had first thought.. luckily I like organizing so I'm not completely stressing out.

Need some advice...We're doing round tables that fit 8 people. Most of them are completely full. Would it be weird if some didn't have all 8? Between 4-7 at a table. I don't want to just throw random people that don't know each other or have anything in common at a table to make it work.

Share:

15 Comments

• Megan
    Expert September 2017
    Megan ·

4 seems too low to me too, I put 9 at a couple of tables for these types of situations and it was plenty of room. Also group like tables together so that people can talk between tables or mix up their seats if they want.

• TheeOne2Love
    VIP December 2017
    TheeOne2Love ·

This is my current situation as well but our venue coordinator suggested doing rounds of 8 or 10. We do not have to have all one or the other so we will have a mix.

• Elayna
    Devoted June 2018
    Elayna ·

We are doing 18 tables, regardless of RSVPs. Assuming not all will come, we are spreading out.. some will have 6, some 7 and some 8.

• Neidy
    Beginner August 2019
    Neidy ·

The easiest thing to do is to start filling tables with large parties/families. For example, I have one of my households sitting together (my aunt, her four children, and my great aunt). That leaves me two seats at that table. And aim to sit 6 per table, not 8. The other thing to consider is to place single people at the same table, they might hit it up or at least not be faced by other party goers that came with dates. I hope this helps! Cheers!

• KatieMBY
    VIP January 2018
    KatieMBY ·

I would do a max of 8 at each table and no less than 6 if possible at a couple tables, if it gets to a point where you can't find another person to fill a table.

• Joanna
    Expert October 2017
    Joanna ·

You can fit up to 10 people on that size table. It's snug, but it's doable. Anywhere from 6-10 is a good fit. Less than 6 and the tables look too empty. Anything over 10 (yes, people have tried it) and there's no room for chairs. ETA - 60" tables can fit up to 10; 72" tables can fit up to 12. Those are maximums though. Staying under those is definitely more comfortable for your guests.

• Nicole
    Dedicated September 2018
    Nicole ·

If you do a table of seven just watch that you don't end up with 3 couples and a single. I was this person once when my FH was (rudely) sat at the head table and it was awful!!

• Mrs. Fall Bride
    Super October 2016
    Mrs. Fall Bride ·

We had tables with anywhere from 6-12 people at them. We had 2 different size tables, 60" and 72" rounds, and could have any combination of the two that we wanted, depending on how our groupings came out. H's parents invited 3 couples so they were supposed to be 8 at their table, but one couple ended up not coming so they were only 6 at a 60", and it was ok, but it definitely looked more empty than the other tables.

You can fit up to 9 at a 60" table, for 10-12 you absolutely need a 72" table.

• QueSeraSera
    VIP December 2017
    QueSeraSera ·

We had tables that fit 10 people and we had 8, 9, 10 people per table

• FutureMrsK
    Super December 2017
    FutureMrsK ·

I have not started mine yet.,,, i know wine is going to be needed. I'd try to puzzle it together to make them full and avoid space wasting, but leaving a seat or two empty isn't horrible

• GoodMOB
    GoodMOB ·

Is there some software that can help plan this out, or do most people just use paper or what?

• Rya
    Devoted April 2018
    Rya ·

Can I ask why this is done versus people just find a place to sit? I'm all confused on the sitting thing I keep reading

• Joanna
    Expert October 2017
    Joanna ·

@Laura V. - There are multiple reasons why seating charts are done:

(1) so that couples aren't split up;

(2) so the waitstaff doesn't have to add place settings to a table because someone decided to squeeze in an extra chair at a table that was set for a certain # of guests;

(3) so families aren't split up;

(4) so your VIP guests have seats together.

No one is saying that putting together a seating chart is fun, but it's certainly not the most challenging thing in the world. Having an open seating free for all is recipe for disaster.

For example, my grandfather is in a wheelchair. We had to arrange our seating chart in a way that made sure the table he was at was easily accessible for him.

Another example, my DH has a cousin with a wife and 3 kids. Unless they were the first ones in the room, chances of finding a table with 5 empty seats in a section of the room that was toddler friendly would have been impossible.

At the end of the day, seating charts make the guest's experience more hassle free. No one is saying you have to do assigned seats, but assigning tables is a MUST.

• Joanna
    Expert October 2017
    Joanna ·

@GoodMOB - there is some software (allseated.com is one) where you can arrange tables and add names, but you have to add your entire guest list to the database.

Personally I preferred having names on slips of paper. It was easier to move people around until we got to the end result we were looking for.

• Brooke H.
    Beginner December 2017
    Brooke H. ·

Thank you all for the advice! Much appreciated!

Comment on this discussion