Jennifer
Super October 2013

San Francisco Honeymoon...

Jennifer, on April 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Posted in Honeymoon 29

After going back and fourth between many places we have FINALLY decided on SAN FRANCISCO for our honeymoon! YAY!! Future Hubby and I couldn't be more excited!Paying our flights this weekend!Need recommendations Ladies!!! What neighborhood should we stay in? Thinking about doing a weekly apartment...

After going back and fourth between many places we have FINALLY decided on SAN FRANCISCO for our honeymoon! YAY!! Future Hubby and I couldn't be more excited!

Paying our flights this weekend!

Need recommendations Ladies!!! What neighborhood should we stay in? Thinking about doing a weekly apartment rental but haven't decided yet(is this a good or bad idea??) Where should we eat? What attractions should we see? Which attractions are a waste of time?

This will be our first time visiting and we want to make it a memorable one.

29 Comments

• Jennifer
    Super October 2013
    Jennifer ·

@Ella: That's Great news!! After this post I believe you will be more than pleased with your decision.

@Nancy T: I will check that out online. Thanks

@Glenda: Thanks for the link. I am going to look at that later. Group tour is a GREAT idea. So happy you mentioned that. Not having to rent a car sounds wonderful to me.

@SamerSue: I'm sure you'll have a blast no matter how long you get to stay. I've been ckecking Groupon and Living Social and Travelzoo like a crazy person lately but haven't been able to find any within our dates yet. I am also looking into either daily rental or weekly rental of an 1 bedroom apartment. I hear a lot of people say it's a great choice and sometimes cheaper. I found a ton of reviews on some on tripadvisor.com. May be a good option to check out.

@jah04: How Exciting!!! You must get back to us and let us know how it goes!!!

• Amy
    Devoted May 2013
    Amy ·

I live in SF and always take visitors to Sutro Baths, Land's End trail, Ocean Beach, & the west side of GG park (there are buffalo). The hop-on, hop-off bus is also fun and gives a good overview of the city. You really only need it one day. Definitely walk across the GG Bridge, too. Personally, I often recommend people avoid Pier 39, the Wharf, and Ghiardelli Square. They're huge tourist traps with overpriced & mediocre to bad food. SF has the most restaurants per capita in the country, almost all independent restaurants. Whatever neighborhood you're in, just check yelp for what's nearby. Chances are you'll have a lot from which to choose. If you can get in (make a reservation now), Frances is amazing. Definitely have a dim sum brunch somewhere (again, check yelp for the best nearest you), and don't leave without having ice-cream from Bi-Rite. Japantown is pretty cool, too, but really don't have the best Japanese food, so get your sushi fix somewhere else. I second the Ferry Building!

• Amy
    Devoted May 2013
    Amy ·

Forgot to mention, if you're here on a Friday night, check out the Off the Grid Food Trucks at Fort Mason. Also forgot to second Alcatraz. It never gets old. :-) On the West side, Clement Street is great for eating, shopping, and people watching. It's sometimes referred to as the second, or "real," Chinatown. The neighborhood is predominantly Chinese and Russian, but it's not as touristy so the food is authentic and amazing and, importantly, not at tourist prices. Speaking of Clement, PPQ has the best garlic noodles and crab in the city. :-)

• Jennifer
    Super October 2013
    Jennifer ·

@Amy B: Thanks so much for all the recommendations! I always LOVE to hear what the locals love to eat and where they love to go. I wrote down all your suggestions and forwarded them to my fiance so he can start getting just as excited as I am!! We are thinking of staying near the Nob Hill area. Do you think that is a good area to stay or would there be another that's better?

• Amy
    Devoted May 2013
    Amy ·

Nob Hill is a great area. Remember, the city is only 7 miles across! So anywhere you stay will be fine, particularly with the public transit system. It's definitely not the best transit system you'll come across, but for tourist purposes it does its job, albeit slowly. Many bus stops have a next bus time, and there's also a MUNI next bus app that you can download. The only areas I would caution against are the Tenderloin and SOMA.

Just be sure to wear comfy shoes--the hills can be brutal. :-) The SF Bicycle Coalition has a great map that shows the entire city's hills and their grades, so you can see if a nearby route to get somewhere might be better. I use that map next to the MUNI system map (on their website) often when going places because sometimes it's worth getting off at a nearby stop to avoid trekking up a steep hill.

• Jennifer
    Super October 2013
    Jennifer ·

@ Amy B: Thanks sooooo much! So difficult trying to plan a vacation to somewhere you've never been. Hearing things from locals makes it so much easier!

• Jennifer
    Super October 2013
    Jennifer ·

Just Booked Our Rental for Our Honeymoon!!!!!!!! It's officially a GO for San Francisco this October!! Keep your suggestion on places to go, eat, and things to do coming!!!! Couldn't be more excited!!!

• Ella
    Super September 2013
    Ella ·

Jennifer, since you posted this I booked tickets to SF and we reserved an apartment rental for the week! Yay!

• Jennifer
    Super October 2013
    Jennifer ·

@ Ella: That's fantastic!! After doing a TON of research I think you will be very happy with your decision. We booked our apartment rental this week as well. Seems that is the way to go versus getting a hotel. I can't wait!!

Comment on this discussion