Jennifer
Super October 2013

San Francisco Honeymoon...

Jennifer, on April 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 29
Saved Save

After going back and fourth between many places we have FINALLY decided on SAN FRANCISCO for our honeymoon! YAY!! Future Hubby and I couldn't be more excited!

Paying our flights this weekend!

Need recommendations Ladies!!! What neighborhood should we stay in? Thinking about doing a weekly apartment rental but haven't decided yet(is this a good or bad idea??) Where should we eat? What attractions should we see? Which attractions are a waste of time?

This will be our first time visiting and we want to make it a memorable one.

29 Comments

• KristnH
    Master November 2013
    KristnH ·

I haven't been to SF in a while, but I distinctly remember that Lombard Street is way cool, Ghirardelli Square is a must because it is so yummy, and Fisherman's Wharf is pretty cool too. Also, be sure to ride a cable car!

• Lady Firefly
    Master October 2014
    Lady Firefly ·

Alcatraz night tour. I have only been during the day but booked for my parents, they enjoyed it. Plus you get a good view of the city at night.

If you have time drive up to Yosemite. It's pretty awesome but do much to see.

• Julianna
    Devoted September 2013
    Julianna ·

How fun!!! We love SF. I would say unless you are renting a car somewhere downtown would be best. Or make sure you are close to BART (public transportation). As for what to see. Really all the touristy things are lots of fun. Ghiradelli is fun but not a lot of shops. Really just the chocolate shop and big sign to see. But if you haven't done it I would. Alcatraz is a blast (day or night). Some people say it is overrated but I would go every time if I could. Giants games are a blast. And don't forget wine country is just a short drive away. Have fun!!!

• Kari  Taggard
    September 2019
    Kari Taggard ·

Definitely hit up Pier 39, go for a ride on a cable car, Union Square has some great shopping, Lombard Street, Fisherman's Wharf, go to China Town and get some take out and have a picnic at Coit Tower. We live 90 mins from SF and October is a nice time to visit. You will have a great time!

• KristnH
    Master November 2013
    KristnH ·

I totally forgot about Alcatraz! Yeah, go there! And I definitely second driving to Yosemite if you have time, it's absolutely beautiful there

• S.M.
    Expert October 2020
    S.M. ·

Hello there wedding weekend twin, and honeymoon locale twin! FH and I are planning on San Fran for our honeymoon too!

• Vanessa <3
    Expert May 2013
    Vanessa <3 ·

Hey, I live across the bay in Oakland! I agree, definitely see alcatraz.... and book tickets early, they sell out weeks in advance! Fisherman's Wharf is good too. If you can, get down to Santa Cruz... it is the best nearby beach. Also, Six Flags is not far in Vallejo, if roller coasters are your thing. You will have a great time, there is so much to do in the Bay Area!

• Val
    Master May 2013
    Val ·

Fh and I went about 2 years ago.. We stayed in the union square area where there is restaurants and shopping.. Alcatraz tour was fun and fishermans warf... If you like wine I would say go take a drive down to napa and Sonoma valley for wine tasting., there is so many vineyards and it's beautiful there..also take a drive on the Golden Gate Bridge.

• T
    Just Said Yes May 2014
    Trillian ·

Most people stay in Union Square (but it's a little overrun by the homeless population) or Fisherman's Wharf (but it's very touristy), but I love North Beach, the Marina, Pac Heights, the Haight, and the Mission, if you want a truer SF feel. The bus system (Muni) is pretty good if you're okay with walking and taking buses everywhere and there are lots of taxis and Uber.

In addition to the things other people have mentioned to do, there's also the Ferry Building (go on Saturday for the Farmer's Market with wonderful food stalls), Angel Island, Muir Woods, SF Broadway, the Castro (especially for people watching/fun bars), Golden Gate Park (which is not near Golden Gate bridge despite the name), the De Young, the MOMA, and eating tons of amazing of food!

• Lirana
    VIP October 2013
    Lirana ·

Alcatraz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our tour guide was soooo good, it was hard to believe he was actually not a "tour guide" but a park ranger.

• Ella
    Super September 2013
    Ella ·

I was contemplating San Francisco and this post makes me want to go now!

• Jennifer
    Super October 2013
    Jennifer ·

You Ladies are sooo helpful! Keep em coming!!!

@ KristinB: I just looked up Lombard Street on Pinterest. So cool. Must see that!!

@ Moria: Thanks for the tip on seeing that at night. I think Hubby would particulary like that @ night versus the day. Plus a good view of the city at night sounds amazing...and romantic

@Juliana: Yes, I think we have settled on somewhere downtown, just not positive yet as to where at. Still doing some research. Thanks for tip on driving to wine country. Hubby and I are seriously thinking about renting a car for a day to drive up there and hopefully make our own wine. I hear there are several places to do that at during October.

@Kari: Ohhh a picnic sounds perfect!! Great Idea!!

• Jennifer
    Super October 2013
    Jennifer ·

@SamerSue: Oh Wow! How exciting. I believe we will be there from the 22nd-29th so we hould be there right around the same time. Have you planned anything yet?? I'm getting so excited! I am almost spending just as much time trying to research and plan our honeymoon as I am our actual wedding.

@Vanessa: You put me at ease. I was back and fourth on a place to go but hearing locals say it's a good idea to visit makes me that more excited!

@Val: I'm definitely going to look into hotels and such near union square! Thanks for the tip.

@Trillian: Thanks so much for your suggestions. I love all the things you mentioned! I definitely want to do the "San Francisco thing" when we are there but add a few things that locals love as well. Good mix of both! This may be our only trip we ever take there so I definitely want to soak it all in and leave with no regrets of missing anything!

@Jennifer B: Definitely doing that after this post. That's funny. I would have never expected that.

• Jennifer
    Super October 2013
    Jennifer ·

@Ella: We were back and fourth as well sooooo many times! But we finally decided on it. It's gotten great reviews as one of the best Honeymoon spots in the US!

• Ella
    Super September 2013
    Ella ·

I just spoke with FH and I actually think we are 99% sure going this route now, haha! Thank for the post! These are great ideas!

• Nancy Taussig
    September 2019
    Nancy Taussig ·

There is a theater with a long-running show called "Beach Blanket Babylon" and it is hilarious (and a little off-color).

• Glenda
    Master October 2013
    Glenda ·

We did a tour of Chinatown with a woman who grew up there -- she was informative and funny. We did the lunch afterwards, and I think we could've safely skip that but the tour itself was great. She pointed out things we would've otherwise missed on our own. It was this one http://www.allaboutchinatown.com

We did the night tour of Alcatraz -- do that one, but be sure to book that in advance.

I think a daytrip to wine country is also a must, IMO. We much prefer Sonoma over Napa. I'd look for small tours out of SF so you don't have to worry about driving.

• Glenda
    Master October 2013
    Glenda ·

Oh re the Alcatraz night tour, you leave SF while it's still daylight so you get the whole sunset view too, not just the night view!

• S.M.
    Expert October 2020
    S.M. ·

@Jennifer M. - We haven't planned anything yet. Right now, we are planning on arriving on 10/21, and probably coming home on 10/26. Not long, I know... but I have to be back at work on 10/28 and will want a day to readjust to being at home and sleeping in my own bed before I have to be up for work.

I've been keeping an eye on Groupon and Living Social trying to see if I can find hotel deals that are valid during the dates we will be in SF. So far, no luck... Well, I've found a few, but none that FH and I really liked enough to book!

• jah04
    Devoted April 2013
    jah04 ·

I'm so excited to see this post! We're headed to San Francisco for honeymoon in just a few weeks! These must-sees are great suggestions!

Comment on this discussion