Melissa
Dedicated October 2017

RSVP

Melissa , on April 13, 2017 at 1:54 AM Posted in Planning 0 39
Saved Save

So my mom tells me not to do rsvp cards because they will just be thrown away, so i was thinking on the invitations put please rsvp on our wedding site. Is that okay or should I just go ahead and do the rsvp

39 Comments

• FitzwilliamDarcy
    Devoted July 2017
    FitzwilliamDarcy ·
    • Flag

I would keep the invitation clean without too much excess.

You could add an insert that tells people to RSVP online, but you may want an alternative for guests who are not internet savvy.

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

I don't know why your mom told you that. In my experience most people use the RSVP cards. You can do both. Use the cards and on a separate card (not on the invitation) include your website address.

• T
    Devoted April 2017
    That One Chick ·
    • Flag

Most of our guests didn't use the rsvp cards we included with our invitations, and the few who did wrote things like 'Yay!!! out of 2' or 'Can't wait!!! out of 3' would be attending. The majority who didn't respond wouldn't have used an online rsvp, either. We mostly found out who was coming via text message, in person, and through other guests who had talked to them about it.

• Sarah
    Super September 2017
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I would get the card

• A
    Super May 2017
    AokiPartyof3 ·
    • Flag

I did insert the rsvp card, but on the card only gave the option to rsvp via our wedding site or by phone. It worked really well for us.

I don't think the rsvp card is absolutely crucial, but it does look nice. Plus you won't clutter up your invitation.

• Fitz
    Master August 2018
    Fitz ·
    • Flag

That's weird. I think most people still use an RSVP card. I would add the rsvp card, with a line saying that guests may also respond via your wedding website and add the link.

• GymRat
    Master May 2017
    GymRat ·
    • Flag

Uh, I did both. I provided an RSVP card, and I had a "details" card that told guests to visit our website for more info, and to RSVP online.

So far, over 80% of the guests mailed back the card.

• Miranda
    VIP May 2017
    Miranda ·
    • Flag

All of my 132 guests that have rsvp used the card except one. One used the website. Send rsvp cards

• FutureMrsW
    Devoted November 2018
    FutureMrsW ·
    • Flag

I agree with pp I think you should do both. The paper ones and the option to do it online

• Zulander
    Super July 2017
    Zulander ·
    • Flag

I did online only because there are no non-internet savvy people on our list, other than our grandmothers who we already know will not be attending. I think one or the other is fine. No need to have both as an option.

• Emily
    Master May 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

She thinks people won't send them back and will just toss them in the trash instead? That's not even true. Most people send them back. Just make sure you put stamps on them.

• Jillian
    VIP October 2017
    Jillian ·
    • Flag

While there are things you can trim to save money, I wouldn't say RSVPs are one of them. The hassle of trying to get people to RSVP is hard enough, why make potentially more issues for yourself?

• Samtoine2017
    VIP May 2017
    Samtoine2017 ·
    • Flag

I mailed two pieces of paper. The invitation, and a rsvp insert. The rsvp card asked people to visit our website to rsvp. The only people who would have trouble with that is our grandmothers, and my mom is helping mine and his uncle is helping his. His grandma has already responded.

My main reason for doing it this way is to help "Save the planet" by not having a million pieces of paper, but other benefits include ease for guests - they don't have to remember to do something after they've filled it out, and can even rsvp on mobile; the saved cost of return postage; I don't have to keep track of 80 little cards or transfer information to a spreadsheet; I can obsessively check the app to see who's rsvp'd and read messages they've left.

So it was worth it for me.

Some people like the formality of tradition, and older guests expect cards to mail back.

• CuteNickname
    Super July 2017
    CuteNickname ·
    • Flag

We have the physical RSVP cards as well as the option to reply online. I do feel that the formal response cards set the tone for the wedding. If I receive an invitation without one, my assumption is that it's a less formal affair.

• Nicole2017
    Master August 2017
    Nicole2017 ·
    • Flag

Your mom is incorrect. I've been to soooo many weddings over the years, not once have I or any guests I've known, thrown away our RSVP cards.

• duchess
    Super May 2017
    duchess ·
    • Flag

We had a separate RSVP card and it gave them options...website, call us, or mail card back. Most people in conversations are telling us they are coming. I'm not counting much on getting cards back or online RSVPs

• Bemyguest
    Master April 2017
    Bemyguest ·
    • Flag

Everyone used my RSVP cards!! I don't have a website, but there are very few I didn't get back!

• Private_User832
    Master August 2017
    Private_User832 ·
    • Flag

I did this and it's been great so far. No problems with guests going on the site

I did not give my guests the option to rsvp through a card - they had to call or go online and only one person called and a bunch have gone online

• Karie
    VIP October 2017
    Karie ·
    • Flag

Get the card. Yes, there will be some people who don't send them back, but I think the majority will. It will save you a lot of hassle. We plan to use RSVP cards, but have the website on them as well so people can RSVP online if they would like.

• Erin Wood
    Master July 2017
    Erin Wood ·
    • Flag

I definitely think you should include a traditional RSVP card unless your wedding is very small and casual. Two weddings I was invited to last summer had the option to RSVP online and I still went the traditional route. It just seemed right to me.

@thatonechick- That is my biggest fear!!! I assume you're not having a sit down dinner. If I have to text people with meal options repeatedly and tell them to go ask their SO and kids what they want as well, I'm going to lose my shit. Lol!

Comment on this discussion