Katie
Devoted August 2019

Reserved seats for ceremony

Katie, on May 10, 2019 at 1:10 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 8
Saved Save
Alright guys, we're under the 100 day mark and I'm sure you're all going to be herding from me a lot now!!

Question of the day: did you all find you really needed to reserve seats at the ceremony for parents? My venue has benches and I don't want to block off a whole bench on either side for just 5 people (1 on my side, 4 on his). Anyone else have bench seating? How did you manage to save seats for close family but keep some space open in the front for others?

Going to ask my venue coordinator about this, too, but want to have some ideas going in!

8 Comments

• OnCloudRawls
    VIP June 2019
    OnCloudRawls ·
    I need to follow this post! That’s a good question Katie!
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    Lol PLEASE just mark off the front row as reserved !!

we did NOT. The only family in the processional and needing seats were about the same as yours, so we didn’t bother with any sort of reserved indication. We had what I believe might be the opposite problem as you’d expect: our guests were TOO respectful. Not a soul sat in the front THREE ROWS on either side.

Talk about awkward pictures. Somehow our photographer was able to work around the gap and it’s not obvious at all in the pro photos, but some guest ceremony photos make it look like there was no one at our ceremony at all (and meanwhile people were *standing* at the back). So the secret pro of notating reserved seats is that guests will feel more comfortable filling in the other rows towards the front. Also for what it’s worth, even though you don’t need many spaces in the front, likely no one else is going to choose to sit there. The only wedding I’ve ever presumed to sit in the front row for was my sibling’s.
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    You could also just have a person (coordinator or otherwise) instructing people to fill in the front rows and just making sure to keep the couple spots you needed open
  • Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Ahh jeeze that's awful! Never would have thought of that, thanks for sharing your experience!! I'll talk to my coordinator about it but might just tell my mom to ask either some of her friends or some of my aunts to sit with her in front.
  • B11
    Super May 2019
    B11 ·
    View Quoted Comment

This happened at a wedding we attended too! After the bride came down the aisle, but before the officiant started the ceremony, the officiant told people to move closer, so there was a few minute pause while all the guests rearranged.

Maybe you can reserve spots on the bench, or like you said, have some of your mom's friends sit in the front row and save her a spot.

• Courtney
    Rockstar December 2019
    Courtney ·

We don't need many seats reserved either, so I'm just making up a couple of Avery tent cards. They're a subtle way to reserve individual seats, without alienating your guests.

• Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Gotcha..my ceremony is (hopefully) outdoors, so I'm not sure that those would work for us.
  • Hannah
    VIP July 2019
    Hannah ·
    I don't have a solution. I just wanted to thank you for asking this question because I never even thought of reserved seating for the ceremony and my wedding is in less than 70 days out.

Comment on this discussion