Nicole
Just Said Yes August 2018

Registering for a Honeymoon

Nicole, on April 24, 2017 at 1:43 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 46
Saved Save

Hi All,

My fiance and I moved in together about a year ago, we both owned our own homes and pretty much have all we need. So instead of registering for thing, we want to register for our honeymoon. We are currently struggling with the logistics surrounding starting a registry, ie what site to use to register and if we book the trip ourselves and have this as a reimbursement.

Any tips tricks or help would be greatly appreciated.

PS we are planning on 12 days in Bangkok and Bali. (and recommendations appreciated)

46 Comments

• MrsMitch
    Master August 2017
    MrsMitch ·

Prepare yourself for the feedback you are about to receive

• MRE17
    VIP November 2017
    MRE17 ·

No don't register for a honeymoon its beyond rude. I'm surprised you haven't seen a thread with this topic since one is posted everyday. Adults know how to give cash you don't have to tell them. Make a very small registry of things you would like to upgrade and your guests will take the hint. Besides that a registry is for a bridal/wedding shower it's not really for the actual wedding.

• sanders4ever
    Super May 2017
    sanders4ever ·

If I was you I would hide this post right now cuz you're about to get a shit storm of nasty comments.

• Brittany
    Expert October 2017
    Brittany ·

You're not going to get much support on this topic here. Asking for money for your honeymoon is rude and tacky. Either make a small registry or don't register at all. Your guests will probably get the hint and just give you money on their own.

• CoolKat
    Super October 2017
    CoolKat ·

I have a honeyfund account. My family and friends as well as my FH family and friends have really enjoyed it. We have a small registry at Bed Bath and Beyond for those who like physical gifts. Most people say that honeymoon registries are terrible but I have known tons of people who use them. They are especially popular with younger couples since so many live together before they are married and younger adults like to just skip the hassle of shopping and give money. I have never heard anyone complain about a couple having one for their wedding. Most of the guests understand that the couple has been living together for years already and a "gift" would be a potential waste of money.

Another point, my family like to spend money on experiences rather than material items so being able to help pay for a honeymoon is right up their alley.

Do what you feel comfortable doing.

• Mrs. Knolle
    Master July 2016
    Mrs. Knolle ·

Websites and companies like HoneyFund lie to your guests and steal some of your money. If you want cash, just have a small traditional registry and let your family spread word that you're saving money.

• CoolKat
    Super October 2017
    CoolKat ·

@Sarah & JJ to each their own. What is rude in your household might not be rude in others. I know there is a fee and I have made my guests aware. They also know that we are honest people and the money will be used for a honeymoon.

• Daniella
    VIP October 2017
    Daniella ·

If I get invited to a wedding where a couple has a Honeyfund, I buy them a nice gift like a toaster. Or a vase. Don't ask for money to fund your honeymoon. If you can't afford it, wait until you can.

• Melissa
    Master March 2018
    Melissa ·

No.

• Ashley
    VIP March 2018
    Ashley ·

You shouldn't ask for people to pay for your sex vacation. Asking people for money is rude.

• Erin
    Expert July 2017
    Erin ·

Ya do a smaller registry and maybe people will give you cash. But don't ask for cash. One of my FH high school friends tried this..same reasons they live together. They are going to Sandals and did a activities registry on there and no one has purchased anything from it, and they are getting married in two weeks.

• Mermaid
    VIP November 2017
    Mermaid ·

Why should guests give you money for a lavish 12 day vacation that they themselves probably couldn't afford? Lol no.

• Melissa
    Expert May 2017
    Melissa ·

No honeyfund............... If you don't want to register, fine, but don't put it out there that money, people will likely give you if you do not register, will be going toward your honeymoon. Also - please do not plan a honeymoon which you wouldn't be able to afford on your own - while it's very likely people will give you money, you cannot depend on that for your honeymoon. Just as you should only plan a wedding you can afford - only plan a honeymoon you can afford.

• ShanynL
    VIP September 2017
    ShanynL ·

Instead of having people pay for the honeymoon specifically, you could have them pay for certain excursions.

• Jacqui
    Super June 2018
    Jacqui ·

I read your title, I didn't even read your post or comments. Just no.

• Erin
    Expert July 2017
    Erin ·

I've known some people that couldn't afford a honeymoon so they just didn't take one, or delayed it for several months.

• FMR2018
    Master October 2018
    FMR2018 ·

No. Just no.

Tacky AF.

Either delay your honeymoon or don't have one.

We can't afford a huge trip. Yes we'd love one, but a house and the wedding are our main concern.

We're booking a short stay at Disneyland.

Plan the honeymoon you can afford.

Don't panhandle your guests.

• StPaulGal
    Master July 2017
    StPaulGal ·

I'm just going to copy/paste what I wrote a day or two ago:

They are tacky. It's rude to ask people for money. It is *particularly* rude to ask people for money to be spent on an expensive luxury item (a fancy sex vacation in this case) that they may not be able to afford for themselves.

If rude/tacky isn't enough to dissuade you, they are also deceitful. These websites lie to your guests and fools them into believing that they are buying you a certain experience. This is a complete falsehood. The guest may think they are sending you on some particular excursion, but they aren't. Nothing gets booked, and you may or may not wind up with that excursion. The wedding couple gets the cash value, not the actual experience.

If rudeness and lies aren't enough to dissuade you, they are also straight up financially dumb. Say your aunt spends $100 on what she thinks will be a couples' massage for you. As discussed above, you don't actually get a massage; you get the cash value. But you don't get the full cash value. The website takes a cut. So now her $100 is your $95. And for what? Why would $95 from a website be a better option for you as the bride than $100 in a card? No one who advocates for the honeymoon fund thing has ever been able to answer this question across dozens of threads: WHY IS $95 FROM A WEBSITE A BETTER OPTION THAN $100 DIRECTLY FROM YOUR GUEST? Even if you don't care about the rudeness and the lies, don't you care about not giving up a portion of your money for no reason?

• Erin Wood
    Master July 2017
    Erin Wood ·

We are going to Thailand and Bali as well! So excited! Definitely a good idea to search hot topics on here as you can see. Majority of people on here hate them. I actually think they are convenient and I like that I can give cash before the wedding so it can be used for the honeymoon. Honeyfund seems to be the most common. The fee is 2.6% but the money is transferred to your PayPal account and can then be transferred right to your bank account. They do not send you a check after the wedding. No idea where that information came from. Not everyone likes them so I suggest putting together a small registry for the people who like to buy physical gifts. That gives people the choice.

• Beatrice
    Master June 2017
    Beatrice ·

You do know Thailand and Indonesia are really cheap to visit right? You shouldn't need a honeyfund to visit those countries.

Comment on this discussion