N
Savvy June 2018

Reception Dress?

Nicole, on May 17, 2018 at 1:01 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 6
Saved Save

I'm getting married in June. It will be hot. My ceremony dress is a ballgown.
I'm the sort who gets VERY uncomfortable and very hot very fast. I've been debating for months now.
Do I need a reception dress?

Any brides who wore ballgown dresses have any suggestions? Did the dresses get super uncomfortable as the night went on?

Mine feels fine when I wear it sitting up but sitting down? I'm not sure how that's going to feel after several hours!

6 Comments

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·

Is your reception going to be inside or outside? If you'll be inside with the a/c on you should be fine. You really won't be sitting down for several hours during your reception. You'll be wanting to mingle with guests and dancing and enjoying the night

• N
    Savvy June 2018
    Nicole ·

Indoors but no A/C. We were there this past weekend. It was 26C out and despite no air conditioning the hall was pretty cool. But once we fill it with 130+ people I imagine it'll warm up.

Man! I wish we could test drive the dress and hang out for several hours during a hot day. Haha!

• J
    Devoted June 2018
    Janie ·

I have a ballgown and will be outside. My alterations people suggested adding a hoop skirt under the dress so the fabric doesn't touch my legs. It looks kind of like this picture, and doesn't add volume to the skirt because the one I have is slightly less full than my dress. It seriously made it feel 10 degrees cooler in the dress, and the dress flows beautifully on top of it.

Reception Dress? 1
  • N
    Savvy June 2018
    Nicole ·

Lovely! I have a hoop skirt like that! Whoot! Hopefully it helps keep things cool. I'm probably stressing for nothing honestly. Haha.

• A_Mart
    Super June 2018
    A_Mart ·

Not me, but a friend of mine had a ballgown and it was a HOT day in August. We had to open up the back of her dress and put fans on her in the bridal suite a few times before she changed into her reception dress.

If you already think you're going to be too hot, its worth looking into a back-up, even a white maxi dress you can wear later on your honeymoon would be good to have on hand, just in case!

• A
    Devoted July 2018
    A ·
    I have a ballgown too and will be getting married in July. I think I am going to try and find a preowned $100-200 trumpet style dress for the reception as a backup. I really want to be able to dance freely especially with my 3 year old. We have been practicing with her dancing on my feet and there is no way we could pull that off with a ballgown.

Comment on this discussion