Kelsey416
Savvy September 2016

Question for the newly married gals!

Kelsey416, on March 1, 2016 at 11:09 PM Posted in Planning 0 32
Saved Save

Totally out of curiosity!! What is something you wish you would have done or would have changed (if anything) about your wedding day?

32 Comments

• N
    Just Said Yes September 2015
    nicole ·
    • Flag

Make sure to address anything that may be emotional and communicate with your fiance/close family members that are involved in planning. We got so tied up in all the planning and stress that there were some things that went left unresolved and sort of blew up the day of our wedding.

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

There were a few small things. We meant to have our veils over our faces as we went down the aisle, and forgot. There was a little too much gap between the regular processional and the bridal processional, so someone decided we must be having problems with the door and came to rescue us. We misplaced the pen we had planned to use to sign the ketubah (formal Jewish marriage contract). NotFroofy had made a separate ceremony booklet for the rabbi with additional explanations, etc., but that meant that when he said, "Turn to page X," it was a different page on all the programs other than his.

But honestly, none of that mattered. We were so happy to be married that we were euphoric all day, and I don't think anything could have changed that.

• Lauren + Ryan
    Super February 2016
    Lauren + Ryan ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't have changed a thing! I hired and amazing vendor team and the day was beautiful. It was not without hiccups, but it was perfect and now I'm married to my best friend. Hire a planner or a day-of coordinator!

Actually, there's one thing I would have changed (which was 100% out of anyone's control.) While we were doing our first look on the grand staircase, our groomsmen were waiting at the hotel bar. They met hockey legend Ray Bourque and have a fantastic photo with him. I wish I could have met him on my wedding day, though I did get to meet Joe Sakic, Mike Ricci and Claude Lemioux.

• jewles322
    Master March 2015
    jewles322 ·
    • Flag

The only thing I wish we did difffently, was giving the Photographer a more detailed "must take photo list"...and emphasizing more family photos. I do wish we took more pictures at our ceremony site "posed" not candid. More "posed" family pictures is the only thing I'm missing when looking back at my photos...well that and some self portraits of me not in the bridal suite...

• annakay511
    Master July 2015
    annakay511 ·
    • Flag

I would have given my DJ more direction!

• Miranda
    VIP January 2016
    Miranda ·
    • Flag

Nothing! It was everything!

It's not a regret, it just wasn't in our budget, but I would have had a videographer if I could.

• N
    VIP October 2015
    natalie ·
    • Flag

I would've scheduled more time to get pictures with my bridesmaids and paid for a test run of my flowers. They were not the colors we had talked about and I'm not talking about shades but a totally off base color. I wouldn't have bustled my dress until after the first dance.

• Theresa Beale
    Master November 2014
    Theresa Beale ·
    • Flag

I would have had a videographer and had less people getting ready with me (which directly led to the wedding rings being misplaced. One of the BMs asked her husband to grab her "stuff" out of the room as we were getting ready to head over to the ballroom for the ceremony and he grabbed my small jewelry box which had the rings. We ended up getting them during cocktail hour but we had to "fake" the ring exchange).

• Original VC
    Master July 2015
    Original VC ·
    • Flag

My biggest and most painful regret to this day is that I didn't realize my dress was bustled when I walked down the aisle, and nobody else told me... but that's an unlikely scenario for anybody else, haha.

Otherwise, maybe I would have had my nails done. I never do, so I didn't think of it, but I didn't realize how many pictures would be taken of my hands, haha.

• Mrs. B
    Master October 2015
    Mrs. B ·
    • Flag

I agree with @Norcal322, even though I love our pictures I wish we had more family pictures. I feel it was my fault we don't have more family pics, because our photographer did ask me, is there any other pictures you want. With so much excitement going on I just spaced. The only reason I am not completely bummed out about the lack of family pictures is that we had a videographer who did capture a lot of family in the video. Smiley smile

• VMDIZZLE
    Master September 2015
    VMDIZZLE ·
    • Flag

I wish I wouldn't have tried to do "entrances" to a very small wedding hahaha

Also, I think I would have done the first dance and speeches before dinner.

• onawho
    VIP August 2015
    onawho ·
    • Flag

I wish I had cleaned my engagment ring. Just a bit of dish soap and a toothbrush would have done the job, but I totally forgot to do it.

Everything else I would not have changed. I hired great vendors, surrounded us with the best of friends and family and had a great time.

• Christina
    Master October 2015
    Christina ·
    • Flag

Make sure the flower girl and ring bearer know they had to present the gifts! Lol made for a funny part of the video though. I wouldn't have done the entrances either and should have had a must have shot list. Pictures came out great, but there were more that I wanted and should have been more organized with that!

• Crystal L.
    Master August 2015
    Crystal L. ·
    • Flag

There were a few photos that I wish I would have thought to have our photographer take, but other than that, I wouldn't have changed much!

• LineWife
    Super June 2014
    LineWife ·
    • Flag

I probably would have skipped the veil & checked in with my florist before she worked on my flowers (she wrote the order down wrong which ended up with a melt down of me bawling the day before m wedding with no way or time to have them fixed) arrived earlier so we could have had time for first look photos. The guys got plenty of shots in before the wedding but I don't have as many of the girls & probably would have veto'ed my husband wanting his niece & nephew in the wedding

• Jess L. L.
    Dedicated December 2015
    Jess L. L. ·
    • Flag

Just a couple small things, the photo booth computer ended up not working properly, and I wish my dj was the original one that I had booked. But memories, right?

• ashley
    Master November 2015
    ashley ·
    • Flag

The only thing I regret is not wearing more hair spray. It sounds so silly but my hair fell out half way through the night and it doesn't look how I wanted it to in all of my reception pictures

• Carlyle
    Super February 2016
    Carlyle ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't have let my FIL perform our ceremony (Methodist minister). We didn't get the ceremony we wanted, but the one he wanted.

I also would have made sure all components of my dress were in the bag before I left the house as my mom had taken my corset sash out of the bag and we ended up having to use the waist sash to tie up the dress.

• Fiona
    Master December 2015
    Fiona ·
    • Flag

I would have put Kleenex in all the pews! Our handwritten vows made people cry.

• SummerS
    Master January 2016
    SummerS ·
    • Flag

I wish I would have been more firm/stuck to my guns on the guest list...we ended up with a much bigger wedding that I truly wanted due to my dad treating our wedding like it was a family reunion. He contributed to our overall budget (but not even half, not even CLOSE to half...) so we did give him some say in the guest list, but he just went too far with it. In the end, I gave in and ended up with so many distant relatives there that I didn't even know...and nearly all of those family-strangers never even came up and spoke a word to DH or I. I mean, that was sort of a small "win" for me though because during planning it was the source of many "disagreements" between my Dad and I as he was just CONVINCED that they would all be so hurt to not be invited, they love me so much, blah, blah, blah...yeah, I really felt the love Smiley smile I never could get him to believe that the people that far into the family tree could care less...wouldn't even know what they missed even. However, on the flip side, (as bad as this sounds, lol!) our card box was alot fuller than it would have been at the end of the day Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics