lyla
Master July 2017

Question About Gifts/Cards for Wedding Guest

lyla, on April 4, 2017 at 5:54 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 20
Saved Save

FH and I are going to a wedding this weekend. We bought a kitchenaid mixer and a blender for the couple from their registry. Since it was an online registry, we didn't give a card with it. It had a place to write 100 characters and we just wrote "Love, our names." We know they already got it because they send us a text thanks.

Are we supposed to also give them a card at the wedding with well wishes in it since our registry gift didn't have a real card?

20 Comments

• MMB
    Master January 2017
    MMB ·
    • Flag

I'm really not sure what the etiquette is on this.

But we had guests ship us gifts from our registry and they did not bring a card, FWIW.

However, they did write their well wishes in our guestbook.

• StPaulGal
    Master July 2017
    StPaulGal ·
    • Flag

I would definitely give a card! Pick out something cute and write a nice message.

• GymRat
    Master May 2017
    GymRat ·
    • Flag

Yes, I think you should bring a card.

Personally, I always give money at the wedding, and registry items I give at the shower (if I'm invited). I know that wasn't the point of your post though.

• annakay511
    Master July 2015
    annakay511 ·
    • Flag

Shew, that is a pricey gift! I would personally bring a card, because I like writing well-wishes. But I am sure they won't be slighted if you don't.

• Danielle
    VIP March 2017
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

We had guests do this and I kinda thought it was strange they didn't bring a card. Some of them mailed the gift the week after the wedding and it was so nice of them to give a gift. But when we were opening gifts and cards the day after we couldn't help but feel slightly offended that quite a few guests didn't even bring a card. You already gave a generous gift but I think a nice card of well wishes at the wedding would be a nice gesture and be very appreciated by them!

• Jenna
    Super November 2017
    Jenna ·
    • Flag

It's a great option to give a card but not imperative. I am sure the gift with the love XXX is good Smiley smile I would be happy!!!!

• Erin Wood
    Master July 2017
    Erin Wood ·
    • Flag

You can definitely give a card if you want. I think it's kind of a waste of money though. You already gave them a great gift and the card will most likely end up in the trash. I like getting cards but it's kind of like "oh that was really sweet" then I throw it away.

• BlueHenBride
    Master March 2017
    BlueHenBride ·
    • Flag

Personally, I'd bring a card to the wedding despite having already ordered a gift off the registry, and this is what I have done in a situation where DH and I ordered a registry gift for a couple.

We had people both order gifts online and bring cards to the wedding and people that didn't bring a separate card after ordering a gift online. I don't think it's wrong not to bring a separate card, but I do think it's a nice touch.

• MTB
    Master May 2017
    MTB ·
    • Flag

I would also get a card.

• Vianna
    Dedicated January 2019
    Vianna ·
    • Flag

Honestly, unless there's a beautiful hand written note in the card I don't usually keep them. It always feels impersonal when I open a card and after the hallmark message there's just a "Love, soandso." Those just take up space in my keepsake box. So I'd say unless you're pretty close to them and are going to write a heartfelt message, I wouldn't worry about a card.

• Stacy
    Super September 2017
    Stacy ·
    • Flag

If someone got me a 300+ dollar gift I wouldn't feel at all offended that I didn't receive a card. That being said, I don't feel entitled to cards or gifts in general and this it would be ridiculous to feel slighted. I wouldn't give bring one, but that's just me.

• kirackle
    Super September 2017
    kirackle ·
    • Flag

I can't believe people feel slighted that someone who had the foresight to pre-ship a nice wedding gift did not also bring a card to the wedding. Talk about entitlement.

I always send wedding gifts well in advance. At the wedding, I write a few sentences in the guest book. I have never brought a card with me. Apparently that means I am a rude and terrible guest.

• snowangel
    Super March 2017
    snowangel ·
    • Flag

We had several guests send us generous gifts before the wedding. These guests didn't bring cards to the reception, and I wasn't offended at all.

• Hopeless Romantic
    Expert April 2017
    Hopeless Romantic ·
    • Flag

Wow 2 big gifts is almost too generous! It would be nice to give them a card though too.

• Grace
    VIP June 2018
    Grace ·
    • Flag

I honestly don't think I would be offended, maybe a little sad for nothing a little more personal like a nice handwritten best wishes, but no offense would be taken. Not everyone is eloquent with words or wants to spend even more.. you're also already buying them one a hell of a gift! I would say if they are close friends I would buy them one, if not I probably still would but wouldn't feel nearly as obligated to. I guess I just feel really awkward showing up with nothing even if I already bought them something off the registry.

• Natalie
    VIP March 2017
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

We had a lot of guests who bought something from our Amazon registry and brought a card with a nice note to the wedding.

• A. L.
    Master July 2017
    A. L. ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't think to bring a card after buying such a nice gift off of the registry.

• MissGtoMrsG
    Expert July 2017
    MissGtoMrsG ·
    • Flag

If I give a gift at a shower I don't bring a card to the wedding. Some people love greeting cards but I think they're a waste of money.

• ShanynL
    VIP September 2017
    ShanynL ·
    • Flag

I would still do a card

• Danielle
    VIP March 2017
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

Speaking for at least my comment- I was saying i thought it was really thoughtful of people to send it early and your gift is super generous. I said I think a card would be a nice gesture (I always save cards and my husband and I enjoyed reading them after the wedding).

What I meant (which doesn't apply to you as you already did) was there were a lot of people who didnt give a card or gift. Don't care at all about getting a gift from everyone. But when it's someone who's pretty close to you I feel like it's a normal human reaction to feel a tiny bit bummed about people close to you not even bringing an empty card. Later a couple of them did send something in the mail which was really nice. My whole point was you can't go wrong with a nice card ever so when in doubt, do a card! Not sure how that's entitlement.

ETA. Reread my comment and it was definitely not clear on this. Oops.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics