A.Magill.Since.May
Master May 2018

Psa: If you're buying table cloths

A.Magill.Since.May, on May 13, 2018 at 2:44 PM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 19
Saved Save
So buying table cloths, even decent ones, can be a lot cheaper than renting and now I'm finding out why.
My wedding is this Saturday so I'm starting the process of trying to get my polyester table cloths wrinkle free and it takes A LOT longer than one might expect.
The dryer method (putting them in the dryer with a wet towel or pillow case on low heat) is not doing the trick. I bought a $20 garment steamer from Amazon and it is working, but it is slow and tedious.
Also: these table cloths are huge (I got 108" rounds) and finding a place to spread them out to steam or fold (especially when you're doing it alone) is ridiculous.
I'm steaming mine in the bathroom folded in half over the shower curtain rod, and I've cleared the center of my living room of furniture to fold them after.

19 Comments

• C
    Master July 2018
    Cuoghi ·
    • Flag
    Yep. This is why you rent them.
  • Tara
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    108" are actually a small linen. Most wedding I coordinate have 132"
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is definitely why renting is more expensive. My own time and effort costs me $0, so I'm still happy I bought them. I'm just warning others to set aside enough time to handle it.
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I know it's relatively small (floor length for my tables would have been 120") but that doesn't make much of difference when my advice is just to consider how large they are when planning where you're going to steam/iron/fold them lol
  • Red Queen
    VIP May 2018
    Red Queen ·
    • Flag

My poor mother volunteered to do our ironing. I warned her it was a big job but she wanted to help. We had 22 90x156 rectangles, 6 90x132 rectanges, and then 10 120 rounds plus overlays and runners.

She told me that SHE had a wedding nightmare last night and I told her I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

• Ginsteeca
    Expert June 2019
    Ginsteeca ·
    • Flag
    This is why we're paying the high price of renting. I buy wrinkle free clothes and didn't even have an iron til Df and I started living together. I'm not about that life.
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Omg that's absolute insanity. I only have 7 108" rounds, 1 54"*96" rectangle and 2 60"*102" rectangles plus runners and overlays. It's gonna take me, at the very least, all day to do them. I cannot imagine doing linens for a wedding that big.
  • ISaidHallYes
    VIP November 2018
    ISaidHallYes ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Girl I feel you in that one! We have about 20 or the 132 rounds, 10 of the 96 x 156 rectangular, and 8 of the 120” rounds! Plus overlays 30 overlays but luckily those are basically good to go from the person we bought them off of and the sequins don’t seem to leave much of a fold.
  • Jessie
    Devoted June 2018
    Jessie ·
    • Flag
    Lol I’m not looking forward to this part. I only have 10 120” circles and 2 90x132” rectangles. But still. That’s a lot lol. Did you find a guide on how to store them to prevent wrinkles (the folding part)?
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The advice I was given is to fold them gently and then hang them up. I waited until now (setting up the reception in five days) to do it because I don't trust that they won't wrinkle again if I leave them hanging up for a long time. I plan on bringing my steamer with me to set up the reception to fix whatever new wrinkles will have set by then.
  • K
    Dedicated June 2018
    Kelli ·
    • Flag
    Thank you for posting this. I was just deciding whether to rent or buy.
  • FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag
    We bought ours but we’re not too worried about the labor. We didn’t DIY a lot of our wedding and left most of it to the pros but for things like this the cost was so different we just knew we had to buy them. We own a steamer and an iron so hoping it won’t take too long.
  • M
    Savvy May 2018
    MrMonkey ·
    • Flag
    Amazing! Good to know. Cateres don’t have the tables I want so I’m looking to rent all that... was looking at buying different fabrics. Haha so really helpful!
  • LyraGardenia
    Devoted June 2018
    LyraGardenia ·
    • Flag

Thank you for posting this! I had been debating whether to use the white tablecloths our venue provides, or buy purple ones since they're not that expensive. That solidifies my decision to stick with the white, it sounds like we'll be able to get purple napkins from our caterer so that will give us a pop of color!

• K
    Savvy September 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I went to Savers and Goodwill and purchased a bunch of old lace curtains that I am going to use as table clothes for an outdoor picnic style. I originally looked into renting, and I ended up saving almost 200 by purchasing.
  • muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

String a wire or use a dowel across the room you have for storage. Make a slit down the length of a pool noodle and cover the wire or dowel with pool noodles. You can hang the cloths with no new wrinkles.

• M
    Dedicated October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi.. My Wedding is in October 2018! We chose the theme "Fall in Love"! Initially I wanted to have the bridal table in white! 2 of each guest tables in each color 2 burgundy, 2 brown, 2 burnt orange, 2 yellow, and 2 ivory! Plus matching napkins! Once I started researching the cost and the upkeep I said NEVERMIND All Ivory tables with matching napkins and I will Go BIG with color coordinating the centerpieces... I don't need the added stress..
  • jordin
    Savvy June 2019
    jordin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Do you still feel it was worth the savings? Is it about a whole days work?
  • Amy
    Expert May 2022
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    I never even thought of this! Thanks for posting.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics