MrsV1027
Master October 2018

Proposal

MrsV1027, on May 2, 2018 at 9:28 AM Posted in Planning 0 82
Saved Save

Curious how you all were proposed to! Was it the proposal of your dreams? Was it a surprise?

This will be my 2nd marriage. The first time the proposal was beyond lame. Literally just handed me a box with his gramas ring. Technically never even asked me to marry him. He did it because I was pregnant and "it was the right thing to do"

This time however was perfect. I had always secretly hoped that he'd propose during/after a belt test for karate. On Dec 2nd I let him sleep in till 30 minutes before our belt test since he was working 3rd shift and I wanted him to have all his energy for the test. He was super annoyed that I didn't wake him up earlier to take a shower and shave. I was confused. We are gonna get hella sweaty at the test and who cares if you shave. We finish the test and he hurt his knee during kumite(fighting). My phone was with someone else so they could take pictures during the test for me since we were testing together. After the test we were just hanging out and he went down on a knee. I assumed he was being dramatic because he hurt his knee because he's like that lol. So there I am hands on my hips all like come on get up I want to go home and shower. Next thing I know the ring comes out! I had NO idea! And he had zero idea that I secretly hoped he'd propose after a test because I told zero people about it lol.

During the test

Z5aZDaMwN_gUwIh9SDBDWw4fVK39sgqkL4fXEK0-

GCBg7B43JabzGzOn6DwMNhihusp2kJDsm5TkZ7BJ

When he went down on his knee and I thought he was just messing around lol

24312542_10103350491924512_8317080989431

The ring and thankfully freshly done nails to match our new belts lol

24231838_10103350492039282_1191406443151

24176811_10103350492119122_3627571460593

82 Comments

• HowCo Industries
    VIP September 2018
    HowCo Industries ·
    I would not have reacted well to a surprise proposal. He instigated a conversation where we talked about how marriage was an inevitable place we were headed to and when we could make it work in our schedules.
    I can see he still wants to do a show-y proposal and ask properly. He can still do that!
  • Sally
    Expert June 2018
    Sally ·

Aww that's so sweet and what a beautiful ring. Second marriage for me too, first one he didn't propose it was like a come on let's get married!! My fiance planned a trip to go to the Virgin Islands for my birthday and proposed the night we got there on the balcony of our condo. We had spent the day bar and restaurant hoping and just checking out the island. I didn't know he was going to propose and I was tired and was laying on the lounge chair outside and we were just talking and then he got up to go inside and I had my eyes closed just listening to the ocean and he came back out and he came over next to me and got on one knee and nervously said "Well I wanted to know if you wanted to marry me?". He had designed the ring himself and picked out the sapphire when we were in Montana earlier in the year snowboarding. I was filled with such joy and excitement and I said I couldn't wait to tell my parents and he said they already knew. He had asked my dad a few weeks earlier and he said he had never seen my dad so excited (my dad is a pretty laid back chill guy of few words). And now today we are one month out from our wedding and I'm so ready to start our married life together!

Proposal 1

• Future Mrs. H
    Rockstar September 2019
    Future Mrs. H ·

Well, as has been the cycle of Mother Nature this year, weather ruined his plans. It was my birthday weekend, and we were up in Pittsburgh at my mom's house. My best friend and I had left to get our nails done, while him and my mom stayed home. He had bought the ring back in January and wanted to get her "approval" and "blessing" beforehand, so he showed her the ring that morning.

We were supposed to go to the park with our dogs that afternoon to take pics (where he had planned on proposing), but we were rained out.

We went to dinner that evening and then to a bar after, and him and I had a few drinks before he whispered in my ear, "Will you marry me?" and pulled out my dream ring. I wouldn't have changed a thing!

• Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·

Total surprise I mean TOTAL surprise. I was dating the "I am never getting married guy" so honestly it was not even a thought in my mind, we are older and I was already married once and ok with not getting married again. He told only one person, his sister, who helped him pick the ring and plan the proposal.

We went out to dinner to our first date spot (local place we go to often) and then he took me to the winery we go to all the time for festivals. He proposed there I almost peed myself, like really almost peed myself. He was crying and so was I. We were all alone and I was so happy he did it alone without a bunch of people staring.

• Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·

He proposed while we were vacationing in Madrid, Spain. It was on our 4-year anniversary. I was in a crappy mood all morning... one of those "I have nothing to wear!" moods. He took me shopping and stood there for 2+ hours without making a sound. I knew he was up to something. He was way too quiet and cooperative during my shopping. When I was done, he took me to the Royal Palace of Madrid, where a bouquet of lilies were waiting for me. Suddenly, he pulled out a box and the waterworks started coming down. He had a secret photographer there as well. What a day. We went out to a beautiful dinner later. He truly impressed me.

ProposalProposal 2

• Future Louie
    Super August 2019
    Future Louie ·

That's awesome! Congrats!!

I had known about my ring for almost a year so I was expecting a proposal everytime he came to visit, every trip we took, every random moment, and it didn't happen. Until... a couple months after moving in together we took our dog on a trail at our local state park and he decided to pull me from the path to a little secluded area and got down and one knee and asked (without the ring...I'll never understand his mind lol) and of course I said yes. I thought he was messing around with me at first since it'd been so long, I figured he had gotten cold feet about the whole thing.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    View Quoted Comment

That's awesome! FH apparently asked my dad for my hand in marriage when we were visiting them for Thanksgiving so he knew but was sworn to secrecy from my mom because she has a big mouth lol.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    View Quoted Comment

Aw that is really sweet!

• Heather
    Beginner June 2020
    Heather ·
    We leave for Cancun on May 4th, and on April 22nd I got a cold which I ended up giving him. April 26th was supposed to be our last day off before leaving for vacation so he wanted to go to our favorite fancy restaurant as our last hoorah before vacay. However, one of my coworkers couldn't work their 6-3 shift so I switched with them. When I got home after the shift (we live with his parents while saving for a house), the house was extra quiet. When he wasnt in the living room watching TV, I assumed he was in our room taking a nap since he was sick. When I got upstairs, our room was eerily quiet so I was confused but figured he must just be sleeping without the tv on. When I opened our bedroom door, I found candles lit all around the room and him down on one knee! It was so romantic and absolutely perfect! The best part was how he got choked up while he was proposing, it was the sweetest thing!

Proposal 3

Proposal 4
  • MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    View Quoted Comment

FH was the same! When we started dating he said he was never getting married again. We'd both previously been married so I was like ok whatever just stay loyal and we are good lol.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    View Quoted Comment

Oh wow! That's like a dream! It's funny when you look back and realize they were acting funny for a reason lol

• Kristina
    Master August 2018
    Kristina ·

Mine is long, but I'll give the TL;DR version!

My dad and I go hot air ballooning. He's a pilot and has flown for a company that has become more like family for almost 20 years. I've seen so many proposals in balloons that I always wanted one myself. Whenever a proposal happens, the pilot will come over the radio and say "She said yes everyone!" And everyone in the other balloons and on the ground chasing would come back and say "congratulations!" I always thought it was super duper sweet and wanted that myself.

I told my FH when we were just dating that that was one proposal I'd always wanted and definitely wouldn't mind. Who knew he listened to me?

Anyway, the chase crew usually gets paid in random balloon rides. Dennis, the owner, will sometimes come up to us while we're inflating the balloons and ask us if we want to go up.

So on this day, we're at the meeting site and Dennis keeps saying "Just waiting on two more people!" And getting more and more agitated that they just weren't showing (and that every time he said this, I was talking to someone else!)

So we get to the launch field, we're setting up the balloons, and Dennis comes over to FH and I and asks us if we want to take that couple's place. I shrugged and said sure! I wasn't suspicious at all! (Even though I knew about this plan, looooong story.)

So we get up in the balloon. It's me, FH, a family of four, and our pilot, my MOH's father whom I've known since I was like, 8 years old. We would have gone up with my dad, but Dennis and FH thought that would have been too obvious. (And my dad had to go pick up my mom after we took off lol)

We're flying along, and I had been getting annoyed with FH because I knew he had the ring and he always teased me with the proposal, so he goes "Want me to propose? I have a pic of the ring on my phone!" I rolled my eyes and told him I'd really appreciate if he stopped teasing me with it, it was getting incredibly old.

We fly along a little more. Behind me, FH hands his phone to the other couple, then asks me "You really want me to stop teasing you?" I said "That would be nice, yeah."

And he pulled the ring out of his pocket!

I stared at it for a solid 30-45 seconds before blurting out "No way!" And then he asked me to marry him and I started crying.

And then the pilot said "She said yes!" And everyone came over the radio saying congratulations, and I'm getting teary-eyed remembering it!

When we landed, the chase vehicle came up, and out pops my mom, dad, MOH, MOH's husband, and MOH's mom (like a 2nd mom to me!) We were all laughing and hugging and ahhhh one of the best days of my life! I was so excited I couldn't even eat when we got back to the restaurant!

Ugly Crying .2 seconds after he asked.Proposal 5My "no way!" face!Proposal 6

(Sorry it's so long!)

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    View Quoted Comment

Aw! Gotta love how men's minds work lol!

• Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·
    View Quoted Comment

Also, I feel really rude for giving him a hard time earlier that day about having nothing to wear, and then dragging him from store to store LOL I keep apologizing for it to this day.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    View Quoted Comment

That is so sweet!

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·

I knew it was coming, but didn't know how he would do it! We bought a house together last March so I knew a proposal was coming up and we talked about marriage a lot and had even talked a lot about what we wanted our wedding to be like, who would be in it, colors, etc.

In May I planned a trip for us to go to Savannah, GA for a weekend (we live in FL very close) because we had never been and I thought it would be fun to explore together. I had a feeling he would pop the question then, he started acting funny, he had to stop at his moms on the way home from work one night to grab something, etc. I'm a hard person to surprise anyhow, and once I get an idea about something I pretty much figure it out.

The whole trip I was walking around saying "Wow this place is SO PRETTY...*wink*" and we'd keep walking. I was starting to think it wouldn't happen on the trip, which I was fine with, but I was definitely anxious! After dinner one night, we went and sat on River Street on a bench overlooking the water and boats were coming into the harbor. We started talking and he kept saying he loved me and was being very romantic (which he usually is so this wasn't something out of the ordinary). He went into a little speech about spending our lives together and he pulled out the ring! Of course I said yes, and shortly after we called our parents because they all knew he was going to propose on the trip.

After that, the night goes dramatically downhill lol. Our phones were blowing up from family and friends congratulating us, so our phones batteries were dying. We went to a local piano bar to celebrate and a lot of people were buying FH and I drinks (so sweet, but FH DOES NOT DO liquor well) so FH got so drunk we ended up leaving by 9pm, he threw up in the parking lot beside someones truck (sorry stranger!) and with our phones on 10% we managed to get an Uber back to the hotel. I was highly upset, FH was just relieved I said yes and went a little too far celebrating. By the time we got back to the hotel, FH passed out on the bed fully clothed.

The next day was much better, we went around town and had brunch, celebrated properly and had a great day! It was crazy cold for a May weekend, but all in all it was a perfect weekend together and we are coming up on one year of engagement on May 5th!

Proposal 7

• Heather
    Beginner June 2020
    Heather ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm so impressed with his ring selection and how he proposed, but then again I'm not surprised because hes a natural romantic and the sweetest person I know!!
  • Bianca
    Super August 2019
    Bianca ·
    That’s a great proposal story! Sounds like he knew exactly what would make an impression lol.

My FH proposed on our last night of a spontaneous trip to Mexico. I was exhausted, hungover, and freezing (we attempted to swim in our swim-up pool at 3am and it was surprisingly cold) so I just wanted to get a couple hours of sleep before we had to pack to leave for the airport at 7am. He kept keeping me from going to bed by talking and then hugging me.

The hug was accompanied by him telling me how great this trip has been and how much he loves me, then he gets down on one knee while simultaneously pulling out a ring and saying that he meant to do this a long time ago.

I proceeded to laugh like a wild woman because I was fairy hungover, tired, and in disbelief (nearly 8 years of being together and he still managed to surprise me with this). I said yes and then we started packing to go home lol.
  • MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    View Quoted Comment

That is so cool! I've always wanted to go on a hot air balloon ride! That's really awesome that he remembered you saying it was the proposal you wanted

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    View Quoted Comment

Poor FH! Excitement and drinking don't mix well sometimes lol! FH kept sending me house links and hinting he wanted to buy a house with me and upgrade into a bigger space. I had no clue he was picking out rings and houses at the same time and wanted to start house hunting together since he was pretty sure I'd say yes lol

Comment on this discussion