We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Sarah
Dedicated September 2015

Programs...?

Sarah, on August 13, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Posted in Do It Yourself 32

I had decided on no programs, mostly because I didn't want to deal with designing/printing yet another thing. Now, my mom and FH have decided programs are a great idea. Mom just thinks they would be a nice thing, and FH thinks it will give people something to take home that has our names since our...

I had decided on no programs, mostly because I didn't want to deal with designing/printing yet another thing. Now, my mom and FH have decided programs are a great idea. Mom just thinks they would be a nice thing, and FH thinks it will give people something to take home that has our names since our favors aren't personalized.

Thoughts? Did any of your guests take their programs home? Worth it to mess with at 6 weeks out?

32 Comments

• Botty
    Super July 2016
    Botty ·
    • Flag

We will likely have programs for the same reason as they/them pigeon (Jewish wedding, small number of non-Jewish guests but I want them to feel comfortable and understand what's going on) but unless you have like a schedule I don't think it's necessary. For example, we just went to a church wedding where the program had the order of events (processional, first prayer, psalms and the words to them, a song sung by a singer, bible reading, blessing the ring... etc. I don't exactly remember) and it was super helpful for me because I'd never been to a church wedding before and didn't know what to expect. But if it had just been the names of the participants without any kind of order of events I don't think it would have been interesting at all.

• TheTinTLC
    Devoted October 2015
    TheTinTLC ·
    • Flag

I'm with Laura Marie. We are doing them, as a lot of our guests are family, old school, and expect to have something to follow along. Plus I'll be honoring my father there. I had totally planned to DIY but at this point, I am getting them printed probably with Zazzle. I have no more energy for that, lol. They are like .45 each and then there are coupons.

• Laura Marie
    VIP September 2015
    Laura Marie ·
    • Flag

@TheTinTLC thank you for reminding me that I need to unsubscribe to Zazzle's very annoying, multiple-times-a-day e-mails.. Smiley smile

• Private User
    Dedicated March 2016
    Private User ·
    • Flag

I'm going to have a program nothing fancy just something mostly so guests know names and so that the significance of the empty chair for my mom is explained.

• FutureMrs.G
    VIP June 2016
    FutureMrs.G ·
    • Flag

We're still far away from the wedding date, but I really don't think we're going to be doing programs; it's a waste of money. I do think I might do a cute sign or board with the names of the wedding party because there will be people there who don't know who they are.

• P
    Dedicated May 2015
    Private User ·
    • Flag

Follow your guts. I didn't make any programs or menus because I never saw a reason to do it. I am glad that I didn't because a lot of people was having fun celebrating with my husband and I. They took home flowers from my centerpieces since they were real white roses with baby breaths. They were addicted to the photo booth so it was a favor for them.

• Stephanie
    Just Said Yes October 2015
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

We combined favors and programs into one. A CD of our favorite love songs and the CD holder has a "Who's who" of the wedding party and a timeline with a "Thank you for coming, you're the most important people in our lives...etc" on the back. Super easy to make and who doesn't like free music?

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

They've already got invitations with your names. Very few people are actually want to clutter up their houses with memorabilia of someone else's wedding.

We had them because we had actual information to put into them (ceremony text with transliterations and translations of the Hebrew, explanations of the Jewish customs, memorials for my ex-in-laws who had recently died, directions from the ceremony venue to the reception venue). Having them just for the sake of having them makes no sense to me.

• Audrey
    VIP June 2016
    Audrey ·
    • Flag

We're not doing a program either. In terms of knowing who's who for the wedding party, we're going to introduce them at the reception. Of course it helps that our wedding party will consist of only a maid of honor and a best man. Other than that we're going to introduce parents and other family members that participated in the ceremony. Basically verbalize everything that would be in a program.

• alison
    Dedicated May 2016
    alison ·
    • Flag

I think we are doing programs. I fully know they will be thrown away, that's what I do when I go to weddings, haha, but awe heck. our wedding is outside, and even though its in spring, and it will probably be snowing, they might need a fan. or maybe when it rains they can hold it over their head. haha. still wondering why I planned an outdoor wedding in early spring....in Wisconsin....shoot. hah. but I think programs are a nice little touch. I honestly never remember what they look like though, but hey, I'm sure 90% of the things us brides are doing, no one will remember. haha. so do what you will remember, and what you want to keep for a keepsake. that's my theory!

• jewles322
    Master March 2015
    jewles322 ·
    • Flag

I made programs (about 6 weeks out too ) since we had a religious Jewish ceremony and most people coming didn't know what to expect. I hope people took them home (wishful thinking ..for my hard work ).

They doubled as fans as well. Made them using word and fancy printer paper Smiley smile

• Futuremrsw
    Super October 2015
    Futuremrsw ·
    • Flag

We are not doing programs. However I will be repurposing some old frames I have to do something like this on a table before you walk into the ceremony to introduce the bridal party.

Comment on this discussion