Anne
Just Said Yes December 2016

Pro vs. DIY bouquets

Anne, on April 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 16
Saved Save

I'm getting married in December, and have been set on having a bridal bouquet with white hydrangeas, thistles, and succulents for a very long time. Because the budget is growing, my mom suggested we go with a friend of hers who is "experienced" making wedding flowers instead of hiring a professional florist. I'm worried that because my flowers are somewhat exotic that this friend won't be able to do as good of a job as a professional florist. I wouldn't mind having the bridesmaids bouquets done by the friend, but should my bouquet be done professionally?

16 Comments

• Future Mrs. R Perez
    Super July 2016
    Future Mrs. R Perez ·
    • Flag

I was going to do them myself the day before the wedding, to cut the expense, but when I sat with my florist for the centerpieces she mentioned that I shouldn't take that responsibility the day before cause it can become stressful finding the flowers and such and my FH agreed - I left questioning myself and then my mom stepped in and paid the florist for all the bouquets , corsages and boutonnieres.

I would think that a person familiar with flowers and experienced, they should be able to do it. If you google how to make them even a novice can pull it off.

Maybe you can have them put one together for you now to feel more confident in their abilities?

• LizzyG
    Devoted September 2018
    LizzyG ·
    • Flag

Is there any work you can see that this "experienced" friend did? If not, if it cuts your costs then I would say go for it. Not to mention, there are dozens of videos out there that show step by step how to make bouquets so you could always DIY. A professional florist is going to charge you an arm and a leg and lets face it you're only going to have/use that bouquet for one day. Or better yet, artificial flowers...so that way you can keep your special bouquet forever Smiley smile

• Rebecca
    VIP June 2016
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

I'd hire a professional. The stress of having a friend do it would be a lot - and what happens if it's not what you want? Talk to a florist - emphasize your budget and see what they can do

• AMW
    Master September 2016
    AMW ·
    • Flag

In my personal experiences, having a friend (or a friend of a friend) is always a bad idea because you can't fire them or get huffy with them if they aren't following the agreed upon contract. If you found a small vendor or home business to save money I would say go for it..but I just see warning signs when someone plans to use what people on WW call a "friendor" (friend/vendor). If you are comfortable with "firing" this florist friend if you don't like what she does then sure...but if you're not, don't put yourself in an iffy position.

• LadyMonk
    Master September 2014
    LadyMonk ·
    • Flag

I did mine on my own and it was fine, but I definitely WOULD NOT do corsages/boutonnieres. They didn't really work out that well. If you want an elaborate bouquet, hire a pro.

• Kristy
    Master November 2015
    Kristy ·
    • Flag

I used to work at a flower shop part time and knew I could make my bouquet... I still left it to the professionals. I didn't want that stress.

What kind of experience does your moms friend have?? If she has photos and you think she will do a really good job... why not? (only if its a GOOD friend of your moms that she REALLY trusts)

I would rather just go to a professional and save myself the worry though.

Check out florists in grocery stores and Whole Foods. They are generally a lot cheaper and they still do a really great job. Again, ask to see photos of their work.

• LadyMonk
    Master September 2014
    LadyMonk ·
    • Flag

If you do your own, do lots of research, and try to practice in advance. Pick up your flowers a day early, and condition them (cut the ends off, remove thorns, leaves, petals that are torn/brown). Discard imperfect blossoms.

• Swin.
    Master June 2016
    Swin. ·
    • Flag

Honestly, search around to find the best deal. I found my florist from WW and was a little skeptical that she would be MEGA expensive (her website was really cool and I feel like that means "I'm gonna overcharge!" but I talked with her on what I wanted and my bouquet is really NOT that bad. Especially when you factor in the costs that you will have to pay regardless of whether or not the friend does it (buying the flowers) it is probably worth it to just hire a professional! No stress. Maybe not even a huge cost difference!

• GrumpyCatRebecca
    VIP September 2016
    GrumpyCatRebecca ·
    • Flag

I would compromise and get your bouquet done professionally, and consider using a non-pro for some other things to cut costs. Some things just aren't worth the potential stress and disappointment, and it sounds like your bouquet is one of those things.

• DAK
    Expert May 2016
    DAK ·
    • Flag

I did my own centerpieces. I was NOT going to do my bouquet or flowers for the bridal party. I found a picture of a bouquet I fell in love with & really did try to figure out how to do something similar (I am not the greatest with florals) & decided it was worth spending the money with the professionals. BOY am I glad I did!!! I absolutely love my bouquet!!!

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

I always say go with a pro. I would recommend it even more in your case, because you have a very clear vision of what you want! If you didn't really care that much about the flowers that would be different Smiley smile

IF you decide to go with the friend, I'd make sure you can look through a lot of their past work (they should at least have pictures) and still sign a contract

• Private_User804
    Master November 2016
    Private_User804 ·
    • Flag

I had the same problem! After watching my family DIY allll the flowers for my sister's wedding (my mom and aunt literally grew them from seed) I knew it was way too much work to do that for mine.

I'm having a pro florist do the most-photographed things (bouquet and ceremony decorations). We'll DIY my BM bouquets, but will use hardy flowers like carnations and roses and greenery, in a simple hand-tied style. Should take 2 hours, tops, including picking up the flowers.

If you're dead set on having hydrangeas and succulents in your BM's bouquets, you'll probably have to go with a florist. But if you just want them for your bouquet, and are willing to change it up for the BM's bouquets, go for the DIY! There are other, less thirsty options than hydrangeas for a fluffy white look that you could work with - carnations, spider mums, etc.

• Colleen
    Devoted September 2016
    Colleen ·
    • Flag

I'm doing the flowers myself. I'm ordering bulk hydrangea and silver dollar and seeded eucalyptus. I'm doing a trial run next month (4 months before wedding) to make sure I can do at least my bouquet, a boutonniere, and a centerpiece. If I can do those to my liking then I will do them all. I've been youtubing, reading florists blogs, and more to learn what to do. If I hate it and feel like I'm in over my head then I will have a few months to find a florist. I think it will be 180 for the flowers I'm ordering for a trial run, then will triple if I order them to do my self. It will still be much less than a florist.

• Rachel DellaPorte
    January 2020
    Rachel DellaPorte ·
    • Flag

You'd probably guess that I'd say hire a pro for your bouquet. Your bouquet is the very last accessory you grab before you walk that aisle. It becomes a part of your entire look. It will be photographed a lot -- and from many angles (making a bouquet look good from every angle is a feat in itself). It's easy be completely candid with a pro without having to worry about them getting offended. It's far more difficult to see the finished product made by a friend, not really love it, and try to tactfully say, "I love it -- it's just that...".

Let your mom's friend do the BMs bouquets, but for the bride -- leave it with a designer, not a flower arranger.

• Bacon Curly Gurl
    VIP September 2016
    Bacon Curly Gurl ·
    • Flag

I was initially planning to DIY my wedding flowers but once I considered the storage and transportation of them, reconsidered and booked a florist. If you're concerned someone with some experience might mess up your exotic bouquet, doesn't sound like a good idea for you to try to take on the task yourself. Hire someone for your bouquet and go with the friend for BM's.

• studentloansforlife
    Super September 2017
    studentloansforlife ·
    • Flag

I opted to do my bridesmaids bouquet the first go round with hydrangeas and roses. However I left my bouquet to the professionals.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics