Michele
Super July 2013

Potted flowers as center pieces?

Michele, on May 5, 2013 at 7:05 AM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 15
Saved Save

My wedding is at a golf course. I was thinking of painting terra cota pots black and planting pink roses in them (wedding colors are black and pink). I'm afraid it won't look good or classy enough? Any comments or suggestions welcome! Thanks!

15 Comments

• S
    Expert July 2013
    Sue P. ·
    • Flag

I think it's a cute idea, different from the "norm"...my only concern is that roses can be kinda finicky when transplanted, etc. you would probably want to use "moss roses" vs regular, for height and density.

• J&B
    Master September 2013
    J&B ·
    • Flag

I think it could look nice as well.

I saw this neat technique for painting terra cotta pots: http://www.bhg.com/videos/m/71817730/how-to-paint-terra-cotta-pots.htm

Maybe you could paint the entire pot black then do the technique in pink.

• Michele
    Super July 2013
    Michele ·
    • Flag

Thanks!! Smiley smile

• Danielle
    Super June 2013
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

I also like the idea but you should research your flowers and maybe get one that is more dense with flowers so there is more pink.

• Michele
    Super July 2013
    Michele ·
    • Flag

Good idea Danielle. I was thinking roses because those are the flowers I am using for the wedding party. I will have to do some research!

• Mrs. Shanon V
    Master May 2014
    Mrs. Shanon V ·
    • Flag

Try hydrangeas or azaleas. You may get better coverage that way.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag

I saw a friend do it, except they did basic seasonal flowers... Maybe pansies? It looked cute. But yes, I'd be concern for the coverage and cost of roses..

• MonkeysandBananas
    Super May 2014
    MonkeysandBananas ·
    • Flag

I like the idea, but roses can be a fickle plant. Would you be able to do sweat heart rose bouquets and just put a cut off water bottle in the terra cotta pot? Which will probably be an expensive option, but doesn't have to be if you do it yourself.

• Audri
    Dedicated June 2013
    Audri ·
    • Flag

I'm doing potted flowers as well. Do you know what rose type you were looking at? As the other ladies have pointed out, they can be very finicky, and most of them aren't thick enough when they are the size you would need. I would recommend going into your local greenhouse and talking to the owner, they would have some fantastic advice for you, I know mine did!

• Shojo*Bride
    Super October 2015
    Shojo*Bride ·
    • Flag

If you do do this I would recommend you start a garden with them after the wedding

• Michele
    Super July 2013
    Michele ·
    • Flag

Thanks ladies for all your help!

• Bee
    VIP January 2013
    Bee ·
    • Flag

II think hydrangeas would be perfect because of the coverage and because many varieties like the dutch hydrangea have multiple colors on one plant. Purple and pink ones are absolutely amazing. However, they may be too tall even if they are young plants. Try looking at kolanchoe, it is a succulent with very similar flowers to the hydrangea but it grows much lower so your guests can see each other over it and it does very well indoors

• Kaity
    Super September 2013
    Kaity ·
    • Flag

My mom swears "knockout roses" are the easiest to keep alive. She doesn't have much of a green thumb but they are alive and kicking! HUGE plants after a little while. I know they come in smaller sizes maybe you could check into them and buy the smaller size and then plant them in your garden after the wedding and they will grow HUGE. She has to trim hers back at least once a year if not twice. They smell amazing and some are a gorgeous pink color Smiley smile

• CeCe
    Master May 2014
    CeCe ·
    • Flag

I had a friend use potted plants painted in a high-gloss black paint and it looked great! Just make sure your plants will survive.

• Michele
    Super July 2013
    Michele ·
    • Flag

CeCe I painted some with the high gloss paint and loved them...so even though I have everything for my center pieces...I am considering changing Smiley smile I like the idea of my guests being able to take them home and plant them or I can plant them at our house!

Comment on this discussion