RachelT
Super May 2014

Picking a DJ?

RachelT, on September 11, 2013 at 6:45 PM Posted in Planning 0 16
Saved Save

How did you pick your DJ? What makes a DJ "good"?

Every DJ I look at online seems the same.... What should I be looking for? What should I be asking the DJs I meet with?

16 Comments

• MJ
    Master June 2013
    MJ ·
    • Flag

Does he have your music, does he announce the reception? Does he listen to you, contract, cost, hours,

• Gamecock Mrs.
    Master October 2014
    Gamecock Mrs. ·
    • Flag

My DJ is full time, which makes contacting him easy peasy. I didn't want any cheesy props or anyone who calls himself DJ Mike or whatever. He should have good equipment, you don't need to know the terms to be able to tell if he takes pride in his stuff. Online planning tools are amazing!

• Angela Marie
    Master May 2014
    Angela Marie ·
    • Flag

Our DJ was included with our package when we chose our venue, but I wasn't dead set on using him until I met him. He's perfect and has a great energy to keep the party going.

• Amanda
    Super October 2013
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

I would suggest going with someone full time like GameCox said. If your venue has preferred vendors that's a really good place to start. Check out reviews on Yelp, WW or any other sites like that. And ask your DJ for a referral list.

• Mrs. C
    VIP September 2013
    Mrs. C ·
    • Flag

We chose ours by recommendations, after speaking with them at a bridal show, and after going to a wedding and seeing the DJ in action. Our DJ pretty much is our coordinator for the reception (he announces, gets us ready for the entrance, etc). A good DJ "reads" the crowd, and plays music that gets people on the dance floor.

You get what you pay for usually with a DJ.

• Celia Milton
    February 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Keep in mind that many "preferred' vendors are simply vendors who pay to be on a list. You might try asking your other vendors who they've worked with and liked; I love referring my dj's. I also tend to refer owner operated companies of companies with a very small stable of dj's.

• RachelT
    Super May 2014
    RachelT ·
    • Flag

@Celia that is a great idea!

• ItsGoodToBeKing
    Master February 2014
    ItsGoodToBeKing ·
    • Flag

Weʻre doing ours on our property so I just picked a local dj who had experience and I was familiar with, offered him the chance to make a few extra bucks, asked him what he had, what I would need to get if anything, and said okay. I love the smaller guys compared to big companies because it matters more to them.

• Rebecca
    VIP June 2014
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

I asked people and did a lot of searching at reviews. The one I picked I loved in person and he showed off his work. Plus everyone I spoke to said he was the best. One of the questions he had asked us was: "What's the age group of the wedding guests?" it was so he could get a feel for what variety of music he'll be playing to keep the guests entertained.

• Amanda
    Super October 2013
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

@Celia I never thought of the fact that "preferred" vendors could pay to be on the list. But that's a good point.

Our venue, however, as their preferred list as the ones they have worked with and like. And if a new vendor comes along who is terrible/unprofessional they put them on the "not allowed back" list.

The paying to be on a preferred list is a good thing to keep in mind!

• Gamecock Mrs.
    Master October 2014
    Gamecock Mrs. ·
    • Flag

Future Mrs. C - I hope I don't freak you out by saying this so close to your wedding, but if a DJ/band/officiant/whoever invites you to come to another wedding to check out their work, be careful that they may do the same thing at your wedding with another potential client.

• Allison Lancaster
    February 2020
    Allison Lancaster ·
    • Flag

As a planner/coordinator, I have seen all kinds of DJs....and I always tell my clients, this can make or break your reception. I have had DJs set up "information" --i.e. flyers, signs, etc. advertising themselves at receptions, play the wrong songs for processional, etc. but I have also worked with some great DJ's. My advice is, meet him or her, spend some time with them and your fiancee to ensure your personalities 'mesh'. You don't want a DJ who is loud and overbearing, when you only want quiet background music, but you also don't want a DJ to sit there and not be assertive in announcements and music, if you want a lively party. The biggest recommendation I have is to meet and talk with them, and ask them for a recommendation list from previous clients (not other vendors)

• Abbiell
    VIP October 2013
    Abbiell ·
    • Flag

All of the DJs in our area seemed to be the same price-wise. What sold me on the one I chose was that they have an online planning guide. I can go on, pick the songs, choose the order, make a DO NOT PLAY list, pick music specifically for cocktail hour, etc. Also on their website they had bios of each DJ and what kind of party they like/provide. We wanted someone who could get people to the dance floor when it's time, but blend in to the back ground and hang out quietly during cocktail hour. I am hopeful that we made the right decision, and I'm pretty confident!

• STBMsMullings
    Super July 2015
    STBMsMullings ·
    • Flag

We have lots of island parties here in Houston and I know many DJs I needed a DJ who would know what to play already without having too much on the playlist. He's $400 and it will be two of them.

• Christina
    VIP March 2014
    Christina ·
    • Flag

I booked mine off of a referral and reviews. He gave us a discount because he was referred.. he's only charing $900 for the ceremony through the reception (5.5 hours).

• AndreaLily
    Master October 2013
    AndreaLily ·
    • Flag

Based off of our phone conversation. They made me feel really at ease about helping ensure that guests were having fun and to go with the kind of music I gave them. They are also doing event direction which is awesome. I felt immediately comfortable after just a few minutes.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics