Katie
Devoted August 2019

Picked up my dress - help

Katie, on December 1, 2018 at 10:40 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 27
Saved Save

The dress (not a great photo!)Picked up my dress - help 1

I had a wedding-filled week this week - FH and I went to a beautiful and delicious food tasting at our venue on Wednesday and I picked up my dress last night.

Some of you might remember that I had some dress regret almost immediately after I bought it in August. I was hoping that would go away once I picked it up and put it on again, but I'm still not sure. The sample I tried on when I bought it had the flare much higher up (more of a dropped waist than trumpet, as it looks here) which I LOVED because movability for dancing is super important. My dress is feels very tight around my upper thighs and is just not as comfortable as I remember. I don't feel my consultant prepared me for the dress to fit this way when I bought it.

Anyone who has had a similar issue or is well-versed in the abilities of a seamstress...my question is: should I be able to have the dress taken out a bit so I can have the flare start further up and make it more comfortable?

27 Comments

• Charlee
    Dedicated March 2019
    Charlee ·

First off, I think the dress is absolutely stunning and you do look amazing. However, you need to feel comfortable and secure in it, so I would take the necessary measures to make sure that's taken care of. Just my opinion. I have yet to attend my first alterations apt. Good Luck!

• Rachel
    Super July 2019
    Rachel ·
    If movement is what’s most important to you then I’m sure you can make that happen. It might be hard to preserve how the dress was intended to look but I’m sure a good seamstress can work wonders.
  • Danielle K
    VIP June 2019
    Danielle K ·

I have only minor alteration knowledge but I would say it is unlikely the dress has enough leeway to let it out that much. Does the salon you purchased it at have an alterations person? have you already taken it home? Is it possible to request the dress be reordered in a different size?

• Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, I appreciate it. And yes, that is my top priority. I also tend to lose weight in the summertime and I've started putting my winter weight back on, so I'm hoping that it will be more comfortable by the time I go for my first fitting in May. I just want to be sure, though, you know? Getting really nervous about not knowing what it will be like.
  • Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment

I mean...it's described as a fit-n-flare, which to me means that it should start to flare just below the hip, whereas right now it doesn't start to flare until mid-thigh (more like a trumpet style). Really I'm hoping I can get alterations to make it look the way it's described.

• Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    All sales are final, so they can't order it in a different size. Yes, I took it home last night and alterations don't start until May. Thank you for your input.
  • Btbride
    Super August 2019
    Btbride ·

If it's any consolation, you look beautiful! I'm kind of having the same dilemma with my dress. It still looks beautiful, but the sample was much flowier on me since it was a bigger size, and I wasn't quite prepared for it to be a little more fitted. I'm definitely planning to lose a little weight too and get some good shapewear, but I'm also going to ask my seamstress if it could be let out slightly to fit a little closer to the sample. I'm not sure if yours can be altered that way, but it can't hurt to ask around alteration time!

• starsinwaves
    VIP November 2018
    starsinwaves ·

First of all, you look amazing in that dress. It was made for your figure.

My dress was almost the exact same shape and I had no problems at all moving in it. I danced the night away without issue and didn't want to take it off. I hope that eases your mind a bit!

• S
    Beginner May 2019
    Sunshyne ·
    I just want to say that looks so flattering on you!
  • Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm not sure either but will definitely be asking. Thank you and good luck with your dress!!
  • Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!! That's definitely makes me feel better. What kind of alterations did you need done?
  • Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you. Hope I can pull off some changes for comfortability and still make it look good!
  • A
    Dedicated June 2019
    Alejandra ·
    When I bought my dress the consultant told me to expect my dress to fit tighter than the one i had tried on at the store because it's been tried on quite a bit by different clients so it's "stretched" out. That may be what's going on with your dress. I think it looks amazing on you and I love the color.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    When the lower flared part is a separate part of the dress, sewn on, as many mermaids and flares are, you can move the bottom up a couple of inches, and it will look the same. With a one piece dress, the dressmaker can cut all the way round where the flare begins at lover thigh, then take out the side and center back seams a little each, to get an additional 1½ inch or so around the hips, depending how much extra fabric is in the seam allowance. Then put the lower skirt back on, 2-3 inches higher on the thigh. You will walk much better. Although puddling on the floor, dresses that touch ir drag on the floor, has been a fashion trend, that is being cut back in this spring and coming fall collections. People are tired of the look, and filthy damaged gowns . And they are going to standard formal length hem. This is 2"-2½ inches above the floor, so that people sitting or standing, looking down at your hem, see it as just above the floor. However much your hemming looks like it would be, distance from bottom of dress to 2½ inches above the floor, is how much the seamstress will move it up your thigh. You will walk much more easily. Your dress will have the same body hugging style above. And because the skirt was moved up, the original hem will now be where you want it, no hemming. So this extremely easy to do alteration, will not cost a lot more than a simple hemming of a many layered dress. The one change in the finished appearance is the seam line across your thigh. Most people embellish it, a few seed pearls, a few crystals per inch, so it looks like a design feature. This is not expensive. And looks great with a tone on tone , white pattern on white, gown. It is an excellent and easy alteration, whether you go up 1½ inches or 3". The loosening at the sides of hips not only feels better, but when you sit then stand repeatedly, it wont wrinkle and pull at the hipline, so it also improves the hipline. I would keep that dress, because the material is beautiful, the simple line is very elegant, and the alterations, easy. If you were thinking of a belt with bling, your dressmaker can do the seam line as a very thin line echo ( same materials) if the belt, or your jewelry or hair jewelry. So, options. A great dress, greatly flattering on you. What more do you want? . . As to your comment that the consultant should have warned you, that is true. Every bridal sales person should tell every customer, that the more times a gown has been tried on, the more the fabric has been pulled around hips, thighs, bosoms that are too big, the more stretched out it is a some points. So the sample you tried on may actually be 1-2" inches bigger at some points, though the correct size, than a new, never worn dress. Not your imagination, true fact.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    This dress has a little different shape than yours, but if you copy the dress picture and blow it up, you will see that the seam line looks fine. Here, their are 2 fabrics that are different, so the seam looks fine. Your fabric would be same top and bottom, but a thin line of shiny pearl beads or crystals would make it look like an original feature. https://dimitradesigns.com/mori-lee-2823-v-neck-beaded-bridal-dress/
  • starsinwaves
    VIP November 2018
    starsinwaves ·
    View Quoted Comment

Oh, it needed taken in quite a bit. She really fixed the back. When I tried it on in the store, it like flared out from my butt, but she made the dress hug it and it really improved how it looked from the back. It hugged my hips and legs tighter after it was altered than it did in the store but I was still able to move just fine.

You can see some non-pro pictures in my BAM: https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/florida-dw-non-pro-bam/78c4bf5bc157c236.html

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    If your wondering about maybe another dress is about a little bling, that can easily be added to any dress, sew on some glass crystals, simple, or complex design. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/358739926538937683/
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    Https://www.pinterest.com/explore/swarovski-wedding-dress/
  • Tracy
    Super January 2019
    Tracy ·

You'll want the seamstress to shorten it at the waist, not the bottom, and that will raise it up and give you more room. She can probably let out the seams as well, probably only an inch or so, however.rimal

• Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment

Wow, thank you so much for the information. This makes me feel A TON better. Had no idea about taking a dress up at the waist.

Comment on this discussion