N
Just Said Yes July 2018

Photography

Nichole, on August 10, 2017 at 4:05 PM Posted in Planning 0 16
Saved Save

Hello all! Just wondering if anyone can give me their opinion. I am looking for a photographer and I am finding that the amount of pictures offered differs drastically! I have two people in mind one offers 200-250 pictures and the other said 1000. What is a good amount of pictures to capture all of the important moments?

16 Comments

• SunshineJenn
    Master August 2014
    SunshineJenn ·
    • Flag

Hire the photographer with the better portfolio.

• PopTart
    Devoted April 2018
    PopTart ·
    • Flag

None of the photographers that I spoke to offered services based on the number of pictures--price was based on # of hours or shooters instead. For the record, my photographers say they usually send back about 800-1100 pictures.

• Claudia
    Dedicated May 2018
    Claudia ·
    • Flag

Each photographer I've talked to say they don't count photos, they go by time they are shooting. But it is nice to ask a rough estimate of a minimum you will receive back.

Also it depends what you are having photographed that will influence the number of pictures. i.e if you're having them shoot the bridal party getting ready, first look, ceremony, family photos, reception, cake cutting, first dance etc.

We are using two separate photographers. The one doing our ceremony/family photos guarantees a minimum of 300 photos.

• Christina
    Super June 2018
    Christina ·
    • Flag

Ideally you want a photographer that will give you the rights to all the photos. And one that has great experience, maybe shot at your venue before and that has great reviews

• Celia Milton
    December 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Dont' go by numbers. Go by quality of work. And you'll never get ALL the rights. Hopefully the photographers will weigh in on this.

• Kathleen Smith
    December 2019
    Kathleen Smith ·
    • Flag

:/

Never go by count. Go by style.

• StPaulGal
    Master July 2017
    StPaulGal ·
    • Flag

I've never seen or heard of any photographers specifying a number.

Number of photos is sort of a double edged sword. Obviously getting 100 pictures is better than getting 5. But is 1000 better than 250? Probably not. 1000 is a lot of images. Part of the photographer's job is to separate the wheat from the chaff.

• Kathleen Smith
    December 2019
    Kathleen Smith ·
    • Flag

OK ... now that I got THAT out of my system, I will elaborate.

- would you rather have quantity or quality?

- break your wedding day down into "day of events". Each day of event range in time from 5 minutes - 90 minutes. Getting ready for both bride and groom. First Look. Formals. Ceremony. Pics in between ceremony and reception. Cocktail hour. Grand March. Prayer/toasts/dinner. First Dance/father-Daughter/Mother/Son. Guests on dance floor. Exit shot/night shot/good bye shot.

- would you rather have your photographer know where to be, get the lighting metered, be in position and take the shot or run around and "spray and pray"?

- all the important moments WILL be caught if you work with your photographer and give them time.

- large numbers of pictures, I have learned, does not make a good photographer. Less is usually more. Especially considering your final album is 40 - 80 images.

- Quality trumps numbers every time

- Always go with the photographer whose style you resonate with.

• Kathleen Smith
    December 2019
    Kathleen Smith ·
    • Flag

I forgot to mention :

- ask every photographer fi the final image files they give you are high resolution, edited, and to what degree they are edited.

- I would rather have 100 fully edited files that I love than 1000 files that are SOOC (straight out of camera).

• Mrs. B
    VIP March 2017
    Mrs. B ·
    • Flag

Quality over quantity. Personally I would not want 1000 photographs lol

• bobbileighba
    Expert June 2018
    bobbileighba ·
    • Flag

Definitely go with the better photog and don't worry about the numbers. My photogs takes a couple thousand pictures maybe more sometimes depending on how much photography is made a priority, but you definitely don't get anywhere near that many images. They go through each set and pick the best ones, edit them, and have them in high resolution so you can have them on large canvases.

• Emily
    Expert February 2018
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Quality over quantity for sure. I don't think I'd go through 1000 pictures lol

• VC
    Super April 2018
    VC ·
    • Flag

Most photographers charge by the hour, not by the photo count. I'd be weary of both of these, but pick the one with better pictures. That's what really matters. 200 great pictures is a hell of a lot better than a 1000 crappy pictures.

• Paul S Robinson
    December 2019
    Paul S Robinson ·
    • Flag

I have been photographing weddings for several years and never have counted how many images I take. Except back in the days of film I used rolls with 36 frames per roll and twelve rolls of film was sufficient to get the entire wedding photographed. Yes I did say the entire wedding. From the getting ready photos to the last dance. If every frame on the twelve rolls of film produced a good photograph that would be 432 proof prints. Now with digital it's 1500 - 2000 when you have two photographers covering your wedding. My questions to you are; do you really need that many images and what will you do with all of those images? How many will you actually print and have on display in your home and will you have a wedding album made to keep as a family heirloom?

Quality is what you should be concerned about not quantity.

As for the rights to the images. Copyright belongs to the maker of the image and not too many photographers will give that up. Reprint rights are what you need to discuss with your photographer. I give a letter to my clients granting them reprint rights so they can take the digital files to a photo lab or (forgive me) CVS to have prints made.

I hope this helps and I wish you many years of happiness together.

• Laura
    Master July 2017
    Laura ·
    • Flag

Ours gave us 1982 edited images, but really each pic is in three different shades (2 color shades, one black and white). So like 660 individual pictures. I believe he told us during our initial call that he shoots around 3k unedited photos.

• Jay Farrell
    December 2019
    Jay Farrell ·
    • Flag

I had a couple who asked how many photos. My answer was all the good ones. Go with the better photographer, how many doesn't matter. You don't need 1000 photos.

My average is between 350-500 for a full day event. (9 hours max)

Comment on this discussion