Arlene
Devoted March 2020

Photographer Confusion

Arlene, on December 13, 2018 at 7:22 PM Posted in Planning 0 13
Saved Save

Hello everyone,

So I have a dillema and wanted to see how you guys would approach this. Please bare with me as I type this novel, so we got our engagement photos and hired a photographer who is wonderful. She did my best friends wedding and we loved her work and personality. My FH liked her alot as we were searching for others and we came across 2 who were really good but booked up on our date. Long story short we hired our photographer and paid the deposit of 500 and signed contract. My FH and I with our 4 year old (soon to be step son that I claim-I hate the word step) did our engagement shoot and they came out beautiful! Well one of those people we wanted just opened up availability and we ALWAYS wanted a drone to capture our wedding for some of the photos and a photographer who also has a videographer on hand. My FH is having doubts as the engagement shoot was nice but not sure why but my FH was the one who was giving ideas and looking at different areas we can walk and be in as the photographer kind of had us in 1 area and we wanted different scenes. My FH was not happy and he is not too fond of all the photos. Half of them are great but some are just natural or whatever. He really wanted a water marked photographer as well and what did not help was 2 of the photos we got my son had grass marks on his pants and she said she can edit it out but when she did she had done something weird because next thing you see is whatever she cropped out was placed on my FH arm so it looked weird. We saw other photographers who have videography and use drones and in the same price with amazing work and we also are tempted to go hire the original person we wanted who is now free. Contract states we can release her as our photographer as long as it is not within 120 days although we would lose our deposit. I told my FH if that is what he wants I am fine with it as long as he is happy and same time I kind of agreed and feel I should not have gone with my best friends photographer. I told my FH it would be as if we lost out on 250 rather than 500 since we got our photos back already. Is this a bad idea to get a new photographer? I really did not want to criticize her as she is so sweet and wanted to just lie a little and say a family member bought our new photographer and paid in whole and we cant get our money back type thing as I do not want to hurt her feelings. I also do not want my best friend who is my MOH giving me any crap as much as I shouldn't care I do not care to hear it either. I would probably give a fake reason that does not sound as bad..my FH feels the same way then he also feels well we signed a contract and paid 500 already might as well..but then we both feel like we are settling and it is our one and only big day why should we settle?

13 Comments

• MissSoonToBe
    Expert May 2020
    MissSoonToBe ·
    • Flag
    DO NOT SETTLE!!! If you are not happy now you won’t be happy later. I know it’s a difficult place to be in BUT you are paying top dollar for a service, you should receive EXACTLY if not very close to exactly what you want.
  • Arlene
    Devoted March 2020
    Arlene ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is very true !! Thank you! That is what I was thinking as well..

• Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    Don’t settle! Part of the point of engagement photos is to see if you like your photographer. We paid a $200 deposit (so a little less than you did) on ours, got our engagement photos ($100) and I really did not like how they turned out. I took it as a blessing! I would much rather waste $200 than hate our wedding photos! Look at it as less of a “waste” and more of a necessary learning experience. You paid that money to test if you liked the photos, and you didn’t.

I repeat: do not settle. You’re much more likely to regret disliking your wedding photos than you are to paying an extra few hundred dollars.
  • Maggie
    Super February 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    I agree, go with the photographer you like! It'll be worth it in the end. I wouldn't worry about making something up, I would keep it short with the photographer and just let her know that you appreciate her time but you've ultimately decided to go in a different direction. If it's in her contract that you can back out it's probably happened before and I'm sure she'll understand.
  • Arlene
    Devoted March 2020
    Arlene ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Very true !! Really didn’t put it that way thank u!!!
  • Arlene
    Devoted March 2020
    Arlene ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank u!!!
  • mrsanda
    VIP March 2017
    mrsanda ·
    • Flag
    Go with who you want. We lost money by booking another photogrpher that we fell in love with. It was so worth it for our engagement and wedding. Especially if FH is on board, go with it!
  • Breyanna
    Beginner March 2020
    Breyanna ·
    • Flag
    I don’t feel like you should ever have to settle if you don’t like it it’s ok to find another photographer!!
  • HayMrsO
    Master October 2018
    HayMrsO ·
    • Flag

It is OK to change photographers. You should not feel guilty about it. Not loving your wedding photos would be a tragedy! Best to cut ties now and go with the other one.

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

Use the photographer you want, you will 100% regret not picking one you love when you get your wedding photos back and you aren't happy. Do not settle for a vendor like this, if you want someone else, get someone else.

• Alexandra
    Super December 2018
    Alexandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

AGREED!!! Who cares what anyone else says!!! It's your day, and the pictures will be forever... you don't want to regret it for the rest of your life. If you and your FH are ok with the deposit lost, go with the one you really want!!!

• Arlene
    Devoted March 2020
    Arlene ·
    • Flag

Thank you everyone!!!

That is what we are going to do we have 2 we like and once we decide who out of those 2 we really wanted we will do the contract and once that is finalized we will cancel with the original one. You all are absolutely correct and I shared that with my FH and he felt the same way he wasted money but he does not want to hate the photos and half of our photos he is not happy with and it makes me sad. I really looked at them and I am not happy with them as well with half of them so I completely get it. We are deciding if we should do another engagement shoot if provided and I think so because he really is not happy with our photos.

Thank you to everyone for your time and advice !! You all are so right !!Smiley heart

• I
    Savvy June 2020
    Iris ·
    • Flag
    I agree with the ladies here, don't settle. You can't put a price on peace of mind.

Comment on this discussion