demetra
Dedicated May 2015

Photobooth alternative?

demetra, on August 28, 2014 at 11:35 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 13
Saved Save

What do you ladies think about having a caricature artist at the reception during cocktail hour (maybe for 2 hours) so people have something a little different to do while they mingle. Cocktail hour starts at 5 and dinner won't be served til 7:30 so instead of sitting around they can have their picture drawn. Not sure if it's too silly for a wedding...I like the idea though

13 Comments

• Debbie
    Super May 2015
    Debbie ·
    • Flag

I like the idea but how many people would be able to get their drawing done within the 2 hours? I remember when I got a caricature done with DH it took probably around 20min

• demetra
    Dedicated May 2015
    demetra ·
    • Flag

I found one on kijiji that says 3-5 minutes per drawing...waiting to see how good the drawings actually are if they're done that fast

• Happy In Hawaii
    Master July 2015
    Happy In Hawaii ·
    • Flag

I think as long as you have some drinks and appetizers during this time as well then this is okay. I'd just be worried if you have 100 people then the wait in line would be a bit long if they take a while to draw. But maybe the drawings are a bit more simple. I've never had a caricature drawing done, but I think it'd be fun! Two and a half hours is quite long though!

• NoPurple
    Super August 2014
    NoPurple ·
    • Flag

I think the idea is great, but there's no way that the sample you posted could be done in 3-5 minutes. Maybe keep the artist through cocktail hour and dinner too?

• Courtney
    VIP January 2015
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

I like the idea. Smiley smile I would totally do it if there was one at a wedding. They are so fun.

• Danielle
    VIP October 2015
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

I actually thought about doing this too instead of the Photo Booth. If I were at a wedding and there was one, I would absolutely do it. Maybe twice haha.

• Finally mrs.jkr
    Master May 2020
    Finally mrs.jkr ·
    • Flag

Maybe to help with people getting their drawings, is there a possibility of having 2 charicature artists? (if you could afford it?)

I like the idea if people were going to be able to get pics and not wait in line forever. Smiley smile

• demetra
    Dedicated May 2015
    demetra ·
    • Flag

The artist I found said he could do 2 hrs for $170-200 which I think is not bad so I might get 2...the drawings won't be as elaborate as the sample I posted though but I still think it would be a fun thing for our guests...just wanted to make sure ppl didn't think it's too carnival-ish Smiley smile

• Lorasaurus
    Beginner September 2015
    Lorasaurus ·
    • Flag

My friend is a caricature artist, and we're hiring him for our wedding! A good high quality artist CAN pump out good work in around 5 minutes. just make sure you see their work before you hire... you can watch them do a piece for you so you can judge their speed and quality.

My friend does weddings all the time and people love it!

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I love the idea and i've seen it a couple of times. I think you will need the two hours though.

• Amber
    Expert November 2014
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I thought about it, but with 150-200 guests, and at an average of 15 caricatures an hour (the best Time I've seen is between 3-5 minutes). I'm not sure if it is worth it. Only 30 people could be done in 2 hours...so, for my wedding I have to decline :-(

• K + B
    VIP September 2014
    K + B ·
    • Flag

I've been to a wedding where they had that. It's super cute and fun. But just make sure there is enough artist for everyone to get one

• Northern MN
    Master November 2014
    Northern MN ·
    • Flag

Yeah great idea! looks fun and what a neat experience for guest.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics